It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the british have defeated every country in war, al murray

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

Churchill bombed Germany from day 1

FIRST RAF BOMBING OF GERMANY The first of the 4,000 lb bombs dropped on German soil was on the city of Emden on March 31, 1940,

THE BOMBING OF LONDON The first bombs fell on London on August 24, 1940. The Blitz started on September 7 and lasted until May 11, 1941.

members.iinet.net.au...

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
He is a comedian playing the part of a overtly nationalistic pub landlord. He is not making a serious claim.

Some statements here really show the yanks have no sense of humour at all! Remember, some yanks even think Seinfeld is funny.
edit on 23-12-2014 by hellobruce because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I have to disagree, would they really drive those cars and wear those clothes if they had no sense of humour?

a reply to: hellobruce

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
a reply to: muckleduck

I guess there's something to be said for bad teeth, a horse faced monarchy, inbreeding and crossdressing LOL

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: muckleduck

never paid al murray much attention before hes actually quite good, the guy seems to know history quite well.

He should do, he's got a Masters degree in Modern History from Oxford.

The Pub Landlord is just the act, he comes from a very posh and well-educated background. Just like a lot of British comedians, actually, they seem to be quite heavily represented.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

I was merely poking fun at the ridiculousness of the statement that because our flag contains the same colors of the British flag that it must mean that the British really won the American War for Independence. I was merely using the French flag as an example of another red white and blue flag of which many exist. The French may have "copied" the British colors but the monarchs of England did speak French for years and some even lived in France. So who influenced who more?

Our country is well aware who lit our torch so to say and our flag colors do reflect this. However this in no way means the British Empire won the War for Independence.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Ok... where to even start.

First of all, Mr Al Murray is a COMEDIAN! His comedy is character based, and he often goes on stage as The Pub Landlord, whose drunken logic, and massively slanted understanding of the universe around him is a satirical comment on the state of culture in the UK. He is SUPPOSED to look and sound like a fool, because that is the part he is playing. Al Murray as a person is not at all as he portrays himself during his stage acts. He comes up with gags based on the stereotype he is playing up to, not based on his own personal opinion.

He is actually a very smart, and historically aware gentleman. He is not seriously suggesting that there is no nation on Earth that we have never beaten in war, nor is he actually glorifying our imperial history as a nation, nor any events which led up to it, nor came about as a direct consequence of it later on.

To those in the thread who started bashing Britain without even a moments hesitation...I expected better of most, if not all of you. You are thinking people, and I know that you understand that Britain was just one in a chain of nations, one which happened to be in a position of dominance at a time when transport technology was becoming capable of projecting force much further than ever before. I am sure you are aware, as a consequence of your intelligence and dilligence when contemplating historical matters, that if the same technology had been available to the Spanish when they were the seat of Catholic power, or for that matter to the French during their period of dominion, then it would be THEY that had the largest empire ever to come about on the face of the planet, they who attracted such harsh criticism.

I am by no means defending the behaviour of Imperial Britain toward those it genuinely oppressed, far from it. I regard it as one of the worst periods in our history, despite all the obvious advantages it offered our nation back then. However, what I am saying is that if you are going to bash Britain, do not do it because you have misunderstood charicature for glorification. Al Murray is making fun of the stereotypical British bigot here, not glorifying them!

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
He is a comedian playing the part of a overtly nationalistic pub landlord. He is not making a serious claim.

very much this he is playing a character stereotype anyone who takes this seriously needs a slap !

outside of this performance he is actually a very bright guy with a lot of historical knowledge especially WWII

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I think everyone has to remember that not everyone knows that Al Murray is an English charecter as truebrit so elegantly points out.

Whilst we find it laughable other nations may not see the humour and actually think we are like this.

a reply to: ShayneJUK

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   
As an Englishman on christmas eve.

Thank you sir, thank you very much indeed.

a reply to: ecossiepossie

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718
England defeating Germany in WW2 is really a matter of personal opinion, things could've gone very different if the Russians didn't annihilate Hitler in the east. Same goes for Italy. That's also not adding in the events of D-Day.

As for your colors, do they also apply to the Russian flag as well as several Balkan nation flags?

Matter of opinion? Really?

Germany lost allies won.

Not sure what room for opinion there is. Uk was on the winning side.

And events of D day,? What of them? Uk put as many men and machines in that day as the USA.
Only reason you dont hear about the British much that daywas we landed exactly were we needed too and bombed the right locations and didnt # up like you yanks at omahah.

Typical of Americans

Britiain and canada secure there beaches quickly and by the plan as well as succefully hold the most important flank from a counter attack all with light losses.
Result= forgotten

America makes a huge mess of the beach they were meant to take, take heavy losses and double the time to securethe beach in the middle

Result= praised as the heros of d day, films made about them and D day being pictured as a American battle rather than a allied.

[

editby]edit on 23-12-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-12-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-12-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: lonesomerimbaud

I think your statement here about Britain winning every war she has fought needs to simmer down some.

Harold lost at Hastings and William The Conqueror prevailed. The American War of Independence was certainly won by what became the U.S.A. Britain did not win.

Also, Britain was part of the allied attack on the western front and Russia on the eastern front. Together they were victorious against the Nazis.

Britain lost the colonies in a similar fashion on many occasions to what happened in America; India for instance.

That being said Britain has got an amazing record of victory in conflict. For a small Island it is an impressive history.

No comment on the morality of it all. Just sticking to the facts. Rule Britannia!!!

We lost the war of independance

But won 1812

You we still "beat" America , just on the 2nd try

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecificrom

From a Scot Sir from Edinburgh you are forever welcome .Peace

Out PEACE With IN,,,,

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: hellobruce
Some statements here really show the yanks have no sense of humour at all! Remember, some yanks even think Seinfeld is funny.

Seinfeld is funny, the show hasn't aged very well but it is still hilarious. You just have to remember that the character this guy is portraying is an accurate presentation of a lot of our population who are ultra nationalistic and believe strongly in American Exceptionalism. That group is going to take offense to views so contrary to their own.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Matter of opinion? Really?

Germany lost allies won.

Not sure what room for opinion there is.

First off I'll say I didn't know this comedian til today so I understand his sense of humor.

Second, his comment went on to say that England defeated Germany, you add in "allies", so it clearly says you know England didn't defeat Hitler. Plenty of room for opinion there. Us yanks pulled you fellas out of a potential German speaking sh!tstorm.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

I meant to say all of that

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Seinfeld is pure art when it come to cult classic comedies. A perfect combination of Jerrys clean observational comedy and Larrys obscure ironic comedy. But interestingly, the comedy of it so easily translates to people all over the world.

Get a legendary English cult classic comedy like say, 'The Young Ones' and I doubt most Americans have even heard of it, nor do I think the comedy would translate in the US. But it really was just a brilliant show, such a shame they only did so few episodes.

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   
Al Murray makes me chuckle most heartily

Despite his humor though he has done a rather good WW2 series for discovery "Al Murray's road to Berlin" In which he speaks most highly of all allies and their gallantry during that most difficult of times.

I also think he has rather large cahoonas driving a WW2 U.S Jeep up what used to be Adolf Hitler Strasse in Berlin

But Al is not just about history! Here he proves the existence of God.

Proof of God

Merry Christmas ATS and a prosperous new year

Peace. M.
edit on Dec000000Wed, 24 Dec 2014 01:52:14 -0600Wednesday20142014-12-24T01:52:14-06:00k by murlock because: Typo

posted on Dec, 24 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: Aazadan

Seinfeld is pure art when it come to cult classic comedies. A perfect combination of Jerrys clean observational comedy and Larrys obscure ironic comedy. But interestingly, the comedy of it so easily translates to people all over the world.

Get a legendary English cult classic comedy like say, 'The Young Ones' and I doubt most Americans have even heard of it, nor do I think the comedy would translate in the US. But it really was just a brilliant show, such a shame they only did so few episodes.

Excluding Monty Python my best guess at translating English comedy over to the US would be Mr. Bean, Rowan Atkison has made multiple generations of people laugh, all without uttering a single word. Also it hasn't aged well either. I could maybe think of some others, my step dad was from England and every weekend growing up we would rent some English comedies from the rental place. I've seen a bunch of them.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join