It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the british have defeated every country in war, al murray

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
if you want a real laugh at a REAL landlord check this out.. lol

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Boy do the Brits pack a punch !
Shame it's Americas air craft carrier !

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: muckleduck

Franky knows the crack, probably why he's not allowed on TV anymore. This was a pretty good interview at the Edinburgh festival discussing media censorship and basicaly whats wrong with todays media.

GEITF 2014 - Frankie Boyle: State of the TV Nation

Guy that runs Peep Peeps sounds like a fifer lol.

edit on 23-12-2014 by Dabrazzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I would like to think he's doing a stand up routine to rub English noses in their own highly militaristic history. Unsurprisingly the target of his satire fails to 'get it' and believes the building of a Commonwealth by murder and war on a massive scale and still ruled by the Queen is a good thing.

If I don't believe that then I have to believe he's just glorifying English conquests around the world, like most other Englishmen I've ever met.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: noeltrotsky
a reply to: ScepticScot

I would like to think he's doing a stand up routine to rub English noses in their own highly militaristic history. Unsurprisingly the target of his satire fails to 'get it' and believes the building of a Commonwealth by murder and war on a massive scale and still ruled by the Queen is a good thing.

If I don't believe that then I have to believe he's just glorifying English conquests around the world, like most other Englishmen I've ever met.

im not even english, infact my own country has been plundered by england many a time, i dont hold grudges because of what happened several hundred years ago though.

and in regards to the united statses aircraft carrier, when have we ever used your carriers as launch platforms? we have our own thanks.

we dont need so many of them because our days of building an empire are over, we dont even have a large army anymore.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dabrazzo

Franky knows the crack, probably why he's not allowed on TV anymore. This was a pretty good interview at the Edinburgh festival discussing media censorship and basicaly whats wrong with todays media.

GEITF 2014 - Frankie Boyle: State of the TV Nation

Guy that runs Peep Peeps sounds like a fifer lol.

my mates dad drank there , is a bit of a lively place but nowhere near the "hardest" lol

yea ive seen a few of his interviews, he does some with max keiser aswell, and i think the artist taxi driver

if you havent heard of the artist taxi driver i urge you to watch.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
You would need to see more of his stuff as an outsider to take this in it's true context, He is a very clever man and the charecter he portrays is an outdated monarchist who belives Britain is the greatest nation in the world.

He actually went on to make some pretty decent documentaries as his actuall self.

a reply to: noeltrotsky

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: muckleduck

why u think u fly OUR colours of the union.

What? I thought we flew the French colors. Red white and blue... wait a minute that means the British fly the French colors too!

The British got their butte handed to them by a french girl don't forget that

edit on 23-12-2014 by asmall89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718
England defeating Germany in WW2 is really a matter of personal opinion, things could've gone very different if the Russians didn't annihilate Hitler in the east. Same goes for Italy. That's also not adding in the events of D-Day.

As for your colors, do they also apply to the Russian flag as well as several Balkan nation flags?

I don't think a lot of people acknowledge Russia's importance to victory in WWII. They never start off great but once they've been in the thick of it for awhile... Well that's not an army I'd look forward to seeing on the other side of the conflict.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: asmall89

originally posted by: muckleduck

why u think u fly OUR colours of the union.

What? I thought we flew the French colors. Red white and blue... wait a minute that means the British fly the French colors too!

The British got their butte handed to them by a french girl don't forget that

A free history lesson for you.

The British Union Flag became Red, White and Blue in 1707.

The French Red, White and Blue Tricolor was adopted in 1794.

So who do you think copied who?

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot
He is a comedian playing the part of a overtly nationalistic pub landlord. He is not making a serious claim.

I could go with that, it is satire, and everyone is fair game. Anybody taking that seriously probably thinks Great Britain got it's handle because it was great!

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

It seems the US flag flies the colors of France as well....interesting...you know being as they were our allies and basically were our navy....
But no,no...they were fashion copy cats...and the bedazzling colors chosen by the English (our then enemies) just had to be used...Frances assistance had nothing to do with it......yes.

True.

Yeah. The English Government back hundreds of years ago under the power of the monarchs just picked up and left a foot hold in the most profitable venture since African gold and diamonds......yes.

True.

I hadnt considered it...we surrendered and lost but were left to our own devices on a virgin continent that is black in minerals and natural wealth.....yes.

True.

edit on 12 23 2014 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718
England defeating Germany in WW2 is really a matter of personal opinion, things could've gone very different if the Russians didn't annihilate Hitler in the east. Same goes for Italy. That's also not adding in the events of D-Day.

As for your colors, do they also apply to the Russian flag as well as several Balkan nation flags?

As a student of military history I can say with confidence that Germany did more to beat themselves than the USSR did to beat the Germans. Rather Hitler did more to beat Germany than Stalin's forces. There is no way Britain could have beaten Germany without the USSR or the US, plain and simple. Had Hitler not declared war on the US it is unlikely that the US would have gotten involved in Europe at all, short of sending materiel to Britain and Russia. The US would have focused on the Pacific and beating Japan. Britain was on its last leg during the Blitz, and they were literally days away from being beaten. The luftwaffe was pounding British military targets, most notable RAF airfields, planes, etc., and the RAF was almost annihilated. What happened was that a stray German bomber hit a British city by accident, at which point Churchill retaliated by bombing German cities.

The infuriated Hitler, who changed the entire strategy from focusing on bombing British military targets to focusing on bombing British cities. This gave the RAF the time they needed to repair their airfields and planes, and essentially rebuild. Had this accidental bombing not occurred, Britain probably would have lost all ability to resist Germany in the air, which would have made Operation Sealion, a crossing of the English Channel by German forces, much more plausible. In warfare, prior to an invasion the invading force must have air superiority. If they do not, the forces doing the invading by ship are sitting ducks for aircraft. So by defeating the RAF the Germans would only have to deal with the British naval forces, but with air superiority the Germans would have pounded these ships from the air. I know this is not the point of the thread, but I just wanted to offer up that little bit of military history. It was much more involved than that, and I would go into more depth if the thread were designed for such talk.

And to say that Britain won the Revolution despite losing its colonies in the New World is ridiculous. Although the Americans could not have won that war outright, without the help of the French or the fact that Britain was already warring in Europe, Britain still lost. Of course many of the rebels were English themselves, this does not change the fact that the British government lost territory, and that entire conflict.

Britain has lost other wars as well. If you want to go back to the 11th century we will see that Britain was conquered by the Normans. They also were beaten in the war where Scotland won their independence, and the Scots had their own nation by the 1320's. And then the English re-invaded Scotland and were again forced to recognize that nation. Then in the 13th century King John lost Normandy. Then the English lost all of France again during the Hundred Years War, except for the port of Calais at the shortest point across the Channel.

Then England lost the Irish War of Independence in the 20th century. The British also lost in Afghanistan in the 19th century, and although this was called a war I don't really think this counts. Here is the bottom line: Britain/England has won many more conflicts than it has lost. No doubt about it. It held the largest empire of any country on the earth for quite some time, and was viewed as the "IT" country, sort of like the US is viewed today. It is to be expected that a nation, being around for as long as Britain has, will lose some wars. But to say that Britain has never lost a war is ridiculous. Of course it would depend on how far back you're going and all that, but they have definitely lost some wars throughout their history.

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

I wish I could give you a thousand stars. 10/10 would read again

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

Hitlers change of policy in Blitzing British Cities made no difference to the outcome of " The Battle Of Britain" Hitler had already lost the battle in the skies over Britain before he began bombing cities instead of airfields, so the invasion would never have happened

As for The Normans, fatigue was the major factor.

The English army defeated the invading Vikings at " The Battle Of Stamford Bridge" in September 1066. The Army then had to march 300 miles south to face The Normans 3 weeks later. Meanwhile The Normans had been encamped for 2 weeks relaxation waiting for The English to arrive.

I

edit on 23-12-2014 by alldaylong because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   
We brits were the right people at the right time to go on a lets rule the known world session, the italians did it 1500 years before and both knew the power of using brute force where needed but also when to grease the wheels of power which i think has become lost to our American cousins with their "peace through superior firepower" mantra

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
the british never beat most of the native tribes in Canada, after giving them a plethora of bad hygene diseases they just reneged on their treaties
the dirty scoundrel and the forked tongue are mightier then the sword any day
( just ask the bankers that rule England...and the fake dna queen...are they even brits?)

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Danbones
the british never beat most of the native tribes in Canada

)

We beat The French at Quebec though .

posted on Dec, 23 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: alldaylong

originally posted by: Danbones
the british never beat most of the native tribes in Canada

)

We beat The French at Quebec though .

That would be the Plains of Abraham. Wolfe vs Montcalm.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join