It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Senate CIA Torture Report Released: "Mismanaged Dungeons"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+53 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The long-awaited report from the US Senate, into the torture methods used by the CIA, has finally been released after five years. Key findings include unnecessary rectal feeding as a torture method, conditions akin to mediaeval dungeons, rampant mismanagement, and a culture of deception to obscure and otherwise hide what was actually going on. Also, interrogators in the field who tried to stop the horrifically brutal techniques were consistently overruled by the CIA, while it also underreported the number of detainees being tortured. And, at least 26 detainees were brutally tortured who should never have been detained in the first place.

Senate Torture Report Condemns C.I.A. Interrogation Program

NYTIMES:
WASHINGTON — A scathing report released by the Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday found that the Central Intelligence Agency routinely misled the White House and Congress about the information it obtained from the detention and interrogation of terrorism suspects, and that its methods were more brutal than the C.I.A. acknowledged either to Bush administration officials or to the public.

The long-delayed report, which took five years to produce and is based on more than six million internal agency documents, is a sweeping indictment of the C.I.A.'s operation and oversight of a program carried out by agency officials and contractors in secret prisons around the world in the years after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks. It also provides a macabre accounting of some of the grisliest techniques that the C.I.A. used to torture and imprison terrorism suspects.

Also, the CIA leaked artificial "classified" information to journalists in an effort to prove that the brutal torture program was working.

The report is just now being analyzed, and I'm sure more shocking -- or not -- findings will be discovered.

+13 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

unnecassary rectal feeding...

I await all the sexual abuse sympathisers to come along and not only try to justify this, but to claim it's all non-important deflection.

Shame on you in advance.
edit on 9-12-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I don't know S.O....I think the white house and congress were well aware of what was going on, as opposed to what is said in their response to this information being revealed. this went on over many years, and there were plenty of official off-the-record-meetings between the alphabet agencies and our government institutions, that we (the public) are not privy to. I remain skeptical at the least.

+29 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Cue the US government apologists on here who blindly support the USA police state and CIA torture as it they think it "protects" them.
edit on 9-12-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It seems if the torture is working, then some people will allow it.

abcnews.go.com...

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Any consequences for the perpetrators or shoud US be selectively bombed because of this intentional abuse of basic human rights?

+32 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
The most disturbing I see is

The committee’s report concluded that of the 119 detainees, “at least 26 were wrongfully held.” “These included an ‘intellectually challenged’ man whose C.I.A. detention was used solely as leverage to get a family member to provide information, two individuals who were intelligence sources for foreign liaison services and were former C.I.A. sources, and two individuals whom the C.I.A. assessed to be connected to Al Qaeda based solely on information fabricated by a C.I.A. detainee subjected to the C.I.A.'s enhanced interrogation techniques,” the report said.

Innocent people were being held and tortured. Thats not protecting anyone!

+50 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
In the first Iraq war so many soldiers surrendered to US forces because they were treated right...received medical attention and food. We won that war in 3 days.

In WWII towards the end thousands of Germans left the north to flee to the south to intentionally be caught by US forces because the Russians were torturing Germans in the north and the US forces were giving them chocolate to polish their boots.

When the enemy doesn't seem so bad there isn't as much will to fight. Now people will fight to the death of fear of being tortured and of being a POW for a decade...or longer...and long after the war is over.

It violates the Geneva Convention and its just wrong...inhumane. If you can't win without torture than you are not very good at your #ing job.

+2 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
The USA treat humans like animals and want everyone in every nation to be afraid of them. They would do well to remember that when animals are scared enough they will viciously attack !!

+9 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
When you resort to torture it`s a sure sign that you have become desperate because you are losing.
if you are going to torture people at least keep it secret so that your enemy doesn`t know how close they are to winning.

+15 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
What kind of perverse sick mind does these kinds of things to people?

I really hope those responsible are held accountable.

"unnecessary rectal feeding"

W T F.

I'm sure findings will only get worse.

+1 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I'm proud to be an American.... Wait, what?

Kinda hard to claim the moral high ground with revelations like these.

Extraordinary rendition wasn't any prettier... Dirty deeds done dirt cheap.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Extraordinary Rendition (kidnapping)

Enhanced Interrogation Techniques (torture)

Water Boarding (drowning)

Detainees (captives)

I bet there isn't one frame of video in that 'report'. That would be too revealing…

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Time to "bring in the comfy chair"!

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I'm reading the report now. It's slow going because I keep wanting to swear and walk away in utter disgust. The level of arrogance, cruelty and above all utter stupidity displayed by the CIA beggars belief. The Bush Administration really was a moral vacuum.

+8 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Reading through some of the reports all i can feel is disgust, anger and am ashamed to be "protected" by these animals. I dont condone any sort of violence but you start to understand why these people are willing to blow themselves for this cause. It has nothing to do with being religious fanatics. Its to do with seeing your brothers, sisters, children, parent, friends and loved ones tortured and murdered on a daily basis where it brings a person to a place they have nothing to lose, death has become part of their life. We are not the civilised andthey the terrorists, it is starting to appear it is the other way around.

shame. now wake up people or is your shock just temporary until the Xfactor final this week.

CX

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Not that my opinion means anything, but I don't believe for one minute that the administration didn't know what was going on.

After whatever happened that day on 9/11, I think they'd have signed off on anything, or turned a blind eye to it.

So i'm not sure who to blame for the security risks this could now bring upon the US.....the CIA or the big white house there?

CX.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg
The Bush Administration really was a moral vacuum.

Funny thing is it didn't end the minute Bush left office.... so yeah..... the current administrations hands are just as dirty in all of this.

+34 more 
posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
A 6,000 page report gets whittled down to 525 pages for the public.

That's pretty damning in itself. Nothing like seeing 1/12th of an issue and pretending anyone is getting the 'Big Picture'.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Of course the White House and Congress knew what was going on. This is a clear attempt by the Dems and Obama to vilify the Rep. party and the Bush administration just in time for the upcoming presidential elections.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join