It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cooper Station from Interstellar and Hollow Alien Worlds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
So hollow worlds and Interstellar. What do they have in common? We've already heard that our moon and Phobos could be hollow. Are they huge centrifuges generating artificial gravity on their inner surfaces like Cooper Station?
Ok, Honestly I couldn't find another way to discuss the movie in this more busy forum.

SO FIRST THE MOON:

The moon cant't be a centrifuge! It doesn't rotate. Well, that's not true. The moon does rotate on its axis. It does something called a synchronous rotation, giving us the impression it sits still.

You've also probably heard about the anomalies detected by seismometers placed on the moon that indicate theres's something odd about its iternal structure. Even, the Internet has it a Dr. Sean C. Solomon from MIT wrote “The Lunar Orbiter experiments vastly improved our knowledge of the Moon’s gravitational field … indicating the frightening possibility that the Moon might be hollow.” I haven't found the original source of this. Does anyone know it?

What's your opinion about this? Is our moon hollow or are we misinterpreting the lunar data?

INTERSTELLAR: (Specifically about Cooper Station not to deviate from centrifuges and hollow worlds)

Spoiler Alert!

Where was the Station headed? This is my interpretation:
So at the end of movie we see a centrifugal cylindrical space station named after Murphy Cooper. The station was not heading to Edmunds. Not yet. Nobody had come back from the wormhole so they didn't know the planet was habitable, so far.

Why was the station built and put in orbit around Saturn? With the equation for anti-gravity possibly many others like it had also easily been built. Enclosed habitats on Earth and in space were constructed to grow food, protected from The Blight. Cooper Station was placed in orbit around Saturn to more closely monitor and send future missions to the wormhole. From the moment Murphy received the equation from his father it took years, maybe decades, to develop the technology from the science.

Some stayed on Earth while others left to the space stations. Why not build isolated ecosystems on Earth in the first place instead of searching for alien worlds? Well, that would've been a solution for a selected few; not enough to feed everyone when all plant life eventually died. The Earth probably had many other environmental problems and not just the blight.

To illustrate hollow worlds and Cooper Station in Sketchup:

So comment about both hollow worlds and the movie or choose one! Synergy cannot be bad.
edit on 8-12-2014 by taucetian because: typo

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Just wanted to say I loved the movie.
10/10

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: taucetian
Even, the Internet has it a Dr. Sean C. Solomon from MIT wrote “The Lunar Orbiter experiments vastly improved our knowledge of the Moon’s gravitational field … indicating the frightening possibility that the Moon might be hollow.” I haven't found the original source of this. Does anyone know it?

There doesn't appear to be an original source for this. In fact, I was about to ask you to link the exact quote to the original source... and no, "the internet" doesn't count. :-)

It's not a claim a guy like Dr. Solomon would be expected to make, so I'm guessing it's a deliberate misquote for consumption on fringey blogs, the only places where I've seen it "quoted".

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: draknoir2

The quote is taken out of context from a 1974 paper by Dr. Sean C. Solomon: Density Within the Moon and Implications for Lunar Composition, The Moon, Volume 9, Issue 1-2, pp. 147-166.

Look for it on page 165 here.

A more concrete treatment of the density distribution must await a more definitive determination of the lunar seismic velocity profile and, more importantly, a more accurate value for the Moon's moment of inertia. As long as workers active in the determination of the lunar gravitational field cannot agree on a value of C/MR² to within better than 1 or 2%, then firm handles on the nature of the Moon's upper mantle or tight constraints on the properties of a lunar core must elude us. The Lunar Orbiter experiments vastly improved our knowledge of the Moon's gravitational field, especially considering that the classical value for C/MR² indicated the frightening possibility that the Moon might be hollow. More accurate determination of the principal moments of inertia of the Moon, utilizing high-latitude and backside tracking data, should remain a high priority.

What he's really doing is lamenting the inconsistent value of C/MR² in a humorous way while pointing out that the classical value could have led one to conclude that the Moon was hollow. I figured I'd actually track down the source because it's an oft repeated out of context quote (and usually worse with the purposefully misleading ellipsis) with no citation.

As for the movie. My wife and I saw it in IMAX a week or so ago and it was epic!
edit on 2014-12-8 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian
a reply to: draknoir2

The quote is taken out of context from a 1974 paper by Dr. Sean C. Solomon: Density Within the Moon and Implications for Lunar Composition, The Moon, Volume 9, Issue 1-2, pp. 147-166.

Look for it on page 165 here.

A more concrete treatment of the density distribution must await a more definitive determination of the lunar seismic velocity profile and, more importantly, a more accurate value for the Moon's moment of inertia. As long as workers active in the determination of the lunar gravitational field cannot agree on a value of C/MR² to within better than 1 or 2%, then firm handles on the nature of the Moon's upper mantle or tight constraints on the properties of a lunar core must elude us. The Lunar Orbiter experiments vastly improved our knowledge of the Moon's gravitational field, especially considering that the classical value for C/MR² indicated the frightening possibility that the Moon might be hollow. More accurate determination of the principal moments of inertia of the Moon, utilizing high-latitude and backside tracking data, should remain a high priority.

What he's really doing is lamenting the inconsistent value of C/MR² in a humorous way while pointing out that the classical value could have led one to conclude that the Moon was hollow. I figured I'd actually track down the source because it's an oft repeated out of context quote (and usually worse with the purposefully misleading ellipsis) with no citation.

As for the movie. My wife and I saw it in IMAX a week or so ago and it was epic!

Nice find. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
theantediluvian nailed it, and draknoir's instinct was spot on...

originally posted by: taucetian...

You've also probably heard about the anomalies detected by seismometers placed on the moon that indicate theres's something odd about its iternal structure. Even, the Internet has it a Dr. Sean C. Solomon from MIT wrote “The Lunar Orbiter experiments vastly improved our knowledge of the Moon’s gravitational field … indicating the frightening possibility that the Moon might be hollow.” I haven't found the original source of this. Does anyone know it?.

You score high for wanting to trace back a citation, I'll do whatever I can to encourage that.
This is a chapter from a 1982 book of mine,
www.jamesoberg.com...
you'll find what you are looking for on page 84
edit on 8-12-2014 by JimOberg because: update to give credit....

posted on Dec, 8 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Well in my opinion hollow earth has been described in various ancient legends, and I believe it to be a true, and the hollow earth may be a very real place.

As to your notion that the moon is hollow as well, that may be true too. There are many ancient stories of civilazations on the moon, which I believe to be true as well.

As to positive or negative what the moon may or may not be I have my doubts, it almost looks like a big DEATH STAR up there and there have been stories about it being a space ship of sorts. Could the moon be there to monitor the earth and keep the souls here on earth in check?

Could be earths last line of defence in my opinion and may be destined for destruction due to a breakaway rouge civilization up there. Who knows? Maybe

The legends and stories of ancient lunar culture and people are numerous from various cultures around the world, its really up to people to do thier own research and come up with thier own conclusions lots of information out there its not really for me to prove it to be true or false, but I have my opinion which I feel I am free to have.

posted on Dec, 9 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: taucetian

So comment about both hollow worlds and the movie or choose one! Synergy cannot be bad.

the movie was over 3 hours long and there was not a giant alien robot or even an alien to be found. If you can build a habitable space station, you can build one on earth. Just watch 'Under the Dome', or maybe not. So wait, they had to move to the space station because they ran out food on earth?

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: ZetaRediculian
a reply to: taucetian

the movie was over 3 hours long and there was not a giant alien robot or even an alien to be found. If you can build a habitable space station, you can build one on earth. Just watch 'Under the Dome', or maybe not. So wait, they had to move to the space station because they ran out food on earth?

a reply to: ZetaRediculian

the length of the movie is 169 minutes, that's less than 3 hours, which is 180 minutes.

maybe they could have shown your mesmerising robot in that 11 minute gap...

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Necrose

the length of the movie is 169 minutes, that's less than 3 hours, which is 180 minutes.

it felt like 4.

Aliens, robots, space battles with an evil race from another dimension...boobs. Anything.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

it felt like 4.

Aliens, robots, space battles with an evil race from another dimension...boobs. Anything.

It's not that kind of movie m8... sorry

it felt like 4.

It's not that kind of movie m8... sorry

& I don't want to be rude or anything, but people who don't like Nolan's movies are very often narrow-minded and even stupid-ish.
So you'd better download Inception, The Prestige, Insomnia, Memento and you do start educating your sense for the cinema!
edit on 12-12-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

& I don't want to be rude or anything, but people who don't like Nolan's movies are very often narrow-minded and even stupid-ish.

So you'd better download Inception, The Prestige, Insomnia, Memento and you do start educating your sense for the cinema!

I liked the movie just fine but it wasn't at the cinematic level of Alien vs. Predator or Spiderman even.

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ZetaRediculian

So you liked this movie.
I am sorry, but I am speechless.
edit on 12-12-2014 by Necrose because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

How dare you.

new topics

top topics

join