It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stolen Valor, FAKE Soldier gets exposed

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

Actually I'm pretty sure it was magic hat #9... That's all I drank back then on tap.....otherwise it was miller lite In a can and a # of tequila....Lol.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

There is a HUGE difference between taking advantage of military surplus uniforms and gear to go hunting and actually use the stuff and wearing it vs PRETENDING to be a soldier to get a discount or laid at a bar. It's all about how you present yourself. I know my 3 Afg. tour, 0311 cousin would tear somebody a new a##hole if they did something like this.
edit on 12/4/2014 by Ensinger23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ensinger23

There is a HUGE difference between taking advantage of military surplus uniforms and gear to go hunting and actually use the stuff and wearing it vs PRETENDING to be a soldier to get a discount or laid at a bar. I know my 3 Afg. tour, 0311 cousin would tear somebody a new a##hole if they did something like this.

I get it, but when did this phenomenon start.

When did vets start calling out fraudsters and why are they doing it?.

Do some of these ex military guys even have the right to talk about friends who died wearing the uniform...??

i'll hazard a guess and say most of these guys on video have never fired a single shot in anger or had a bullet crack over their heads in a full on fire fight that lasted days. Maybe a bullet whizzed past at some point as they buried their arses in a afghan sewerage ditch at the side of the road but that's about it.

I do believe that some ex Military believe they have a right to some sort of special treatment and also believe they use their ex military status when they return to home soil to the point they actully sully the memory of true war heroes.

The way some of them crack on one would think they stormed the beaches at Omaha, Iwo Jima or fought hedge to hedge in the Ardennes or were kept as a Japanese prisoner of war and forced to build a Railway on a diet of rice and cockroaches for Christ sake.

Just for the Record. I was in the Army. I have a right to wear a uniform with medals attached, but guess what...I prefer not to and i prefer not to give a rats arse who does. Why??...I'm not interested and i dont plan on being a Internet Dick.

Talk about self importance stateside.

edit on 4-12-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   

They've always done it, so far as I'm aware. I've read accounts dating back to the American Civil War, or after anyway.

As to why? They're the one's who were there, taking the risk, losing friends. The anger is understandable. Even if they never saw combat. My dad certainly saw his fair share, or more than his fair share (WWII, Korea, and early days in Vietnam), and he gets angry when he hears stories of people doing this.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

And thats fair enough
for your old dad.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

They've always done it, so far as I'm aware. I've read accounts dating back to the American Civil War, or after anyway.

As to why? They're the one's who were there, taking the risk, losing friends. The anger is understandable. Even if they never saw combat. My dad certainly saw his fair share, or more than his fair share (WWII, Korea, and early days in Vietnam), and he gets angry when he hears stories of people doing this.

WWII vet Acceptable..Good on your Dad, I doff my cap to the man, He fought a good fight for a fair a decent cause and a better world....have a look at what we fight for now..££££$$$$$$£££££$$$$

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I have run into a few of these, and a guy at a bar that claimed he was CIA. What bothers me is, if you want military so bad then join the military. Going around and trying to get attention for something you had no part of is pathetic. It has always happened and always will I suppose. Once in a club in Denmark I ran into a couple of Swedes claiming to US Marines they fessed up of course and said it was just a way to try and pick up women. The women of this club however knew to ask for and ID card because some Danes had tried to pretend to be US Army like us before as well. I myself am not the type to wear anything military related. On occasion somebody will see my Retired ID while I am paying and ask or say something but, for the most part I want no attention for my service. That however does not mean I think it acceptable for others to try and ride the coatails of people who do what they only pretend to.

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
If everyone I have met over the years, was actually in the SEALS, they would have to be one of the largest units in the military...

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
a reply to: howmuch4another

Thank you have another...www.dailymail.co.uk... ing-cop.html

posted on Dec, 4 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Marines out of Afghanistan found the guy,I THINK they had fired a couple of shots there.
COME ON man YOU know how we OVER DO everything it's how we succeed where there is absouletly NO WAY we should.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Why don't people want to fake being in the Air Force...hehe

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Not sure about there but it is illegal in Canada:

www.stolenvalour.ca...

Franck Gervais, alleged soldier imposter, arrested and charged in Ottawa

(see the videos there, US and Canadian)

www.thestar.com... news/canada/2014/11/15/franck_gervais_alleged_soldier_imposter_arrested_and_charged_in_ottawa.html

www.torontosun.co... m/2014/02/05/canadian-military-imposter-turns-in-uniform-after-years-of-pretending-to-be-officer

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

Ummm...Scuse me Homer...But this former 31 kilo (AKA signal puke) takes exception to your comment...by...questioning why the hell you spoonies always proved DR. Seuss right.

There...IS...such a thing as "green eggs and ham"...

TBH though...after weeks of nothing but MRE's a nice hot helping of green eggs was like a little touch of heaven.

Besides...us radio heads always got to play with some of the coolest tech...and you chow chuckers....well
a spoon is a spoon is a spoon...

YouSir

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

Speaking of Green Eggs and Ham....Dr. Seuss (aka Theodor Geisel) joined the US Army during WWII as a writer/cartoonist, on the side of good vs. Hitler/Mussolini etc.

He is no fraud, despite how much you think the food is.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
Why don't people want to fake being in the Air Force...hehe

Or worse, NAVY?????

Just kidding, Much love to all my brothers and sisters in the uniform, past and present, even if its the uniforms of the Air Force, Navy or Marines

By the way, ever hear of anyone impersonating being a COASTIE??? LMAO

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

A spoon MIGHT be JUST a spoon, but you still gotta eat, wirehead

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I too am a vet and served in Desert Storm and Desert Shield. We worked hard over there like all the soldiers before us after us. It is painful to watch these frauds try to get some glory but wearing a uniform. It is a federal crime from I have heard.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: remotev1

Yes, but is there a civilian code/arrest violation for that in the US?

*Civilian, I asked.
edit on 5-12-2014 by dianashay because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
a reply to: dianashay

The Stolen Valor Act tries to address this however in mst cases, from what I have seen, the imposter gets away with it if they have a good lawyer. But if the uniform is"off" then this it's not considered a problem. Like if the name tape isn't on the top, medals on incorrectly, you know like you see in the movies. Those uniforms are usually modified to be incorrect.

posted on Dec, 5 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: remotev1

I may be wrong (so take this with a huge grain of salt) but I was always under the impression that movie uniforms were wrong on purpose. I could have sworn there was a law somewhere that there had to be discrepancies on the screen for this very reason. To keep "PX commandoes" from knowing what to look like by watching TV/movies.

Like I say, take that with a huge grain of salt though. I don't know where I heard/read it. It's just been in my addled brain for 30 plus years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join