It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transgender girl awarded $75,000 in lawsuit over school bathroom access

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Sex is a matter of biology (plumbing); gender is a matter of psychology and sociology.

Sex and gender are NOT the same thing.

Most of you are conflating sex with gender in this "discussion" which allows the majority of the asinine comments made.

A great deal of scientific research, however, notes that there is a statistical physical basis for trans* identification.

Also, speaking in a merely biological/mechanical sense ... there ARE more than two sexes. Google "intersex."

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

originally posted by: NavyDoc

a reply to: Grovit

then what is the problem with using the boys bathrom?

Because of the OBVIOUS gender difference, biology be damned!

Interesting. Can you point out the biology involved here? Genetic or otherwise?

I'm not sure what you're asking here? Do you mean boobs and balls?

You are the one who brought up biology. What biology do you refer to? Genotype? Phenotype?

Plumbing type?

You worry about discomfort, but how uncomfortable will men be sharing their restroom with a voluptuous fem fatale, whipping out her piece? Wouldn't you men prefer she use the ladies room?

Okay. That doesn't answer the question. You said "biology be damned" in criticizing the other poster and I'm curious, what biology do you think was "damned?"

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

I think a person's privacy and personal safety supercede another's right not to feel "icky".

and i think boys need to use the boys room and ladies need to use the ladies room.

if it is an ick factor, they are not wrong...it his how they personally feel.

for the 4th time can you answer my questions please?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

well, for the record i can see why she would be uncomfortable using the boys room. i get it.
your the one that said something to the effect that as long as there are stalls then what is the big deal.

that means as long as there are stalls she should be able to use the girls room, no matter how the other girls may feel? correct?

I believe that those opposed to sharing their restroom facilities suffer from the "ICK" factor, while the "need" of the transgender folks to use the bathroom that their gender identifies with is a matter of privacy and personal safety.

So basically you disregard the feelings of one as being invalid and the exact same feelings of another as being valid as long as you can justify it in your own mind?

I think a person's privacy and personal safety supercede another's right not to feel "icky".

And yet those people you dismiss as simply feeling "icky" can also articulate the same privacy and safety issues. Why do you invalidate and dismiss off hand their same concerns for both privacy and safety?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: windword

Because you're intolerent of our opinion that he should use the boys room because he is a boy you could also be associated as a bigot.

a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

See?

In this case, it isn't my opinion. It's the opinion of the person who identifies as a certain gender.

Forcing a transgender person to use the restroom that their biology dictates, rather than their identity, invalidates their opinion and their self image, and reveals the nature of their genitalia, to whole world, every time they pass through the restroom doors. That's violation of privacy.

Given the oppostion is driven by the "ick" factor and that we know dangers that cornered homophobics can enure, allowing transgender people to use the restroom that they identify with is also a safer option to all concerned, in my opinion.

edit on 3-12-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

so are bathrooms divided by sex or gender?
why are bathrooms that can be used by both sexes called unisex?

still waiting on an answer

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

In this case, it isn't my opinion. It's the opinion of the person who identifies as a certain gender.

going to ask you a 4th time

if i identify as african american, should i be eligible for programs that are only for african americans?
should i be able to fill out official forms and check the demographic box african american becuase thats what i identify with?

please answer me...no reason to ignore

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
and i think boys need to use the boys room and ladies need to use the ladies room.

Why do you care?

I mean honestly. Do you have kids and is a trans* kid causing them embarrassment issues?

Are you philosophically interested in trans* issues, albeit in the negative sense?

Why wouldn't someone who loves freedom want everyone to be free to be who they are?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

, invalidates their opinion and their self image,

oh, well since you put it like that

lets make the other girls feel uncomfortable then....

wouldnt want to harm a persons self image

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

you lost me
stuffing a bra and wearing lipstick does not make you voluptuous or a fem fatale...

LOL You're new at this right?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

then what is the problem with using the boys bathrom?

Because of the OBVIOUS gender difference, biology be damned!

Interesting. Can you point out the biology involved here? Genetic or otherwise?

I'm not sure what you're asking here? Do you mean boobs and balls?

You are the one who brought up biology. What biology do you refer to? Genotype? Phenotype?

Plumbing type?

You worry about discomfort, but how uncomfortable will men be sharing their restroom with a voluptuous fem fatale, whipping out her piece? Wouldn't you men prefer she use the ladies room?

Okay. That doesn't answer the question. You said "biology be damned" in criticizing the other poster and I'm curious, what biology do you think was "damned?"

Plumbing biology!

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: American-philosopher

recently there was a move to start this transgender restroom access in some state or county of the USA (i remember listening to some white supremacist anti-semite types ranting about it not so long ago but don't remember where, it'd be easy enough to internet search that)

so of course the *program* called south park embraces & expands this
south park encodes people like the simpsons does
(ditto family guy, american dad, cleveland show, etc etc etc)

and stories like the one in your topic here will be used to further the agenda also

how deep do you want to go?
read the sig. linked topic for a little lot more info on all this
(there's even some more south park in there)
thanks for posting

Why wouldn't someone who loves freedom want everyone to be free to be who they are?

do you lock your doors at night?

edit on 3-12-2014 by UNIT76 because: yeah.. invite me into your home so i can freely express myself, nya?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

a reply to: Gryphon66

so are bathrooms divided by sex or gender?
why are bathrooms that can be used by both sexes called unisex?

still waiting on an answer

The fact that there are only two types of facilities proves that we have been culturally deaf to the needs of individuals.

There, I answered your question, now answer mine. Why do YOU personally care? Does this affect your life in some way?

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Why do you care?

I mean honestly. Do you have kids and is a trans* kid causing them embarrassment issues?

Are you philosophically interested in trans* issues, albeit in the negative sense?

i care because i am interested in this discussion because i want to know why a feeling voids out biology. i care because i want to know if i identify with african american, would you and others feel like i should be eligible for african american programs.
yours and others thoughts and opinions are helping me understand.
i do have kids. i have a son and a daughter.
no kids are causing them any issues.

i do want people to be free to be whatever and whoever they want to be..i said that several times.
other peoples feelings matter as well though. thats what i am getting at

im interested so far as i would like to understand it...thats about it.
im interested in this discussion....

i have answered everyones questions...it would be nice if mine could get an answer. ive only asked 5 times now

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

I was not the one who called you a bigot. I merely cleared up why someone might see it that way.

I think that you're sincerely grappling with understanding the issue.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

There, I answered your question, now answer mine. Why do YOU personally care? Does this affect your life in some way?

i did answer you and you didnt answer the questions i have been asking for pages now.

this does not effect my life in any way.
i care because i am interested in the discussion and the opinions of others..
thats all.
i am allowed to have thoughts and opinions on things that do not effect my life.
not my problem if you dont like it

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

if it is an ick factor, they are not wrong...it his how they personally feel.

for the 4th time can you answer my questions please?

You're question, why should one person's feeling trump another's? Personal privacy and safety.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

i am grappling with the understanding issue....i dont understand. ive said that much.
never said she should not be allowed to live that way..

why wont you answer my questions?
i have asked you directly like 5 times....you keep responding but not to that.

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   

no...these questions

if i identify as african american and have my entire life, should i be entitled to programs that are for african americans only?
if not, why?

if i identify with african american and have my entire life, does that mean you are a bigot if you do not call me african?

if i identify as african american and have my entire life, does that mean that for official purposes under the demographics section i can fill them out as african american?
if not, why

and gryphon, yes, i am new to this discussion

posted on Dec, 3 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Why do you care?

i care because i am interested in this discussion because i want to know why a feeling voids out biology. i care because i want to know if i identify with african american, would you and others feel like i should be eligible for african american programs.
yours and others thoughts and opinions are helping me understand.
i do have kids. i have a son and a daughter.
no kids are causing them any issues.

i do want people to be free to be whatever and whoever they want to be..i said that several times.
other peoples feelings matter as well though. thats what i am getting at

im interested so far as i would like to understand it...thats about it.
im interested in this discussion....

i have answered everyone's questions...it would be nice if mine could get an answer. i've only asked 5 times now

Okay, have you even done a smidgen of research on the topic of transgender issues? I mean seriously, even Wikipedia would give you a better basis. Wiki -Transgender

Do you realize that it's not just a matter of a trivial "feeling" as you keep trying to dismiss the issue, but is rather a deep-seated psychological (if not spiritual) identification? It's not like transgender folks just wake up one day and say, "Oh, for a lark, I'm going to completely fly in the face of cultural inertia and face insults, discrimination and, in many cases, physical abuse because "I feel pretty" today?

"African American" is a racial characteristic. There are measurable physical differences. But even so, what if my mom is Black and my dad is White? What if my great-grandfather was African American, and I'm as Scot-Irish looking as they come? What happens then?

It's not always as simplistic as we make it out to be.

If you are genuinely interested in learning facts, I can provide them. If you're just trying to find what you think is an interesting angle to continue to rant that "boys is boys and girls is girls" then it's frankly not worth the effort.

What will it be?

edit on 12Wed, 03 Dec 2014 12:38:25 -060014p1220141266 by Gryphon66 because: NOte

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join