It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does karma really exist? Is it actually real?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: twohawks

It's not about bad or good, it's about energetic frequency, we simply cannot produce high level frequency realities without high level frequency source causation.
The concept of karma is about good and bad, as it comes in both forms and it pertains to deeds. The word means "action."

But you seem to think that high frequencies are better than lower frequencies. Why?
Frequency of what? The tides? Menstruation?

There you are, back to the good and bad of things. Let me try to put it this way,. Every thought, word and deed is a causation. I think we would agree on this point giving the science behind physics. Every expenditure of energy happens in wave form ie: frequency. Energy does not dissipate nor does it disappear. It simply transforms to a mirror image of the causation with which it was associated. Hence the the term "equal and opposite" . It is perceived opposite because we see it from an objective perspective rather than a subjunctive one.

We have separated ourselves from the truth of the Matter. Truth being the intent and the true nature of that intent!
edit on 15-11-2014 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-11-2014 by twohawks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Hello,

Well it really comes down to whether you have a mindset of deontology or utilitarianism. Deontologists believe that there is an underlying good/bad in nature; Utilitarianism is all moral relativism, in that everything is situational, and for the greater good. So, if all morals were relative and utilitarianism is the "right" perspective everyone should have on morals, then karma itself wouldn't exist. Because, there would be no underlying good or bad, just relative situations.

In my opinion karma does exists, but not the way the western civilization explains it. I take the more Eastern/India take
on karma in that it just exists to balance everything out. People in the west will often say things like "Well I did
something good so I should have some good karma coming my way." This, in the eyes of eastern philosophy, is just creating more Karma because they are expecting something good out of good deeds
People should just do good deeds and be a morally-sound citizen and be selfless just because it's the right thing to do. Not in the hope that they will get something in return for it.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: twohawks

Somewhat of a defeating perspective there phage. Your post suggests we haven't the ability to learn from our negative causation. I disagree, enlightenment doesn't come from an end all be all nirvana but a Awakened Willingness to improve our suffering.

Thank you for bringing up 'causes' which need 'conditions' to rippen. Causes are the direct Karmic effects but those effects cannot take place until the conditions needed are there.

I.E. The lying, cheating CEO example of an earlier post. He is collecting karmic consequences from his actions but those consequences will not arise until conditions are optimal which may not be in this life.

Good Karma from the past leads to fortunate births; however, that Karma is easily 'used up' if one doesn't commit to gaining merit in the here and now. Buddha tells us that merit that is not dedicated to the well-being of others can only be used once but merit (skillful deeds, works and thoughts) dedicated to the well-being of others multiples and benfits everyone.

So, in a very simple sense, it is an account ledger with debits and credits always seeking balance until you 'get off the boat'.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   
In the Eastern religions they practise the belief of Karma; in the West we traditionally have'nt a concept of Karma except within Wicca and Spiritism. Also, Western occultism like the Hermetic Principle of Cause and Effect is similar to the Karma in Eastern religions & faits. Some even say that the Christian Sin is an Western adoptation of Karma.

All-in-all it boils down to your own faith, do you believe in Karma - is it real for you? There is no proof karma really exists either way.

originally posted by: yourmaker
a reply to: mysterioustranger

Then why do bad things happen to children?

They are too young to have the kinds of experiences necessary for a karmic universe to dole out a punishment or reward.

The concept of Karma is complex; you can carry good/bad Karma from your past lives. Some faiths even have the concept of bad Karma being transferred between people; so you could catch bad Karma from someone like you would a bad cold.

-MM

edit on 16-11-2014 by MerkabaMeditation because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: yourmaker

Then why do bad things happen to children?

This may help with your question and may not.
born into sin

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I will tell you what, karma is very real.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
a reply to: 5letters

Don't you think the nature of life is such that we must all atone for our wrongs. Have we not heard of the saying that what we send around comes back?

The ancient Tibetans had a belief that we all have to come back and make up for our wrongs. Tibetans believed this to the point that they believed that life is so difficult at the best of times that they went out of their way not do wrong to another.

That's why they did not need and never had a police force or a millet-tree.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Judging by the state of the world, how the evil are at the top and everyone else is trampled on so they can stay there, I believe karma is bull#.

It's more than likely perpetuated by the elite as a form of control through apathy - like prayer - in relying on nature or a god or whatever to bring justice. All the while we do little to nothing about it and the elite are laughing.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Karma (as I pointed out in a similar thread a month or two ago) is a religious idea whose purpose is to solve the philosophical problem of injustice.

The Christian equivalent is Heaven and Hell.

It's wishful thinking and, therefore, unlikely to be true.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: tinkortwim

What if you murder only in your mind, and then it happens in real life without you being physically present when the murder happens?

Is this real world or only a test?

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: tinkortwim
What if you murder only in your mind, and then it happens in real life without you being physically present when the murder happens?

Ex. Thinking cancer upon someone. Car accidents, plane crashes, et cetera.

That's something to ponder about and is why I'm still able to type this response.

Some Yogis teach that thinking negative thoughts creates bad karma - so one is better off not doing it if one can. I think it is because there are several planes of existence where each one is as real as the material plane that we experience most profoundly in our everyday life. One of these planes is called the mental plane, in this plane your thoughts become reality and by creating negative thoughts you create bad karma.

-MM

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I think some are confusing the definition of karma, however as for myself, I never thought it made much sense to die and come back only to be punished for deeds I don't remember.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Firefly_

Good point,

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

What about CEO's and such lying their way to the top and reaping the benefits until their death?

I'm on the fence with karma, just playing devil's advocate here. I tend to believe it's real but then I see all these bad people living lives of luxury. Maybe their karma comes after death? I dunno, that's why I'm on the fence about it.

If you go by karma being the debt/damage that you have created that have to be restored to be clean of past actions:

One life on top of the power pyramid. A couple of million years paying back for the suffering caused to all others in the power pyramid that was below you without the light. It is not worth it.

We all have a little Karma here and there we need to fix. We do not need to be perfect on this level but we can take one step at a time towards karma debt free. Fixing our wrongs.

Namaste.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Karma is real, imo.

I truly believe that our Earth and Universe as a whole, is a conscious sentient being that we don't understand. We are simply billions of fragments existing amongst an infinity of fragments - within it. So when, great misdeeds and wrong action is practiced by those who think they can, one has to do nothing. Just sit back and watch karma work it's magic.

Wishful thinking or not, it helps me sleep more peacefully at night.

CdT

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Yah know, its really hard to quantify metaphysical beliefs. There are similar ideas through out various cultures (for example a lot of other Indo-European speaking cultures had a belief that was similar to Dhama and Karma, not the same, but similar). That however in no way validates the idea.

So could you suggest how we measure this? Because if you are asking if something is "Real" you are moving outside the frame work of belief and into the realm of the physical.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I stand by my opinion. And all the "oh-yeah! What about the...." There are a million variables, so all the "what about all the ...etc" doesnt count.

Dont generalize here. God in the bible told warriors to go kill all the babies, livestock, 'every living thing"...a whole bunch of times. And that was GOD!

Karma is very real, and all the "exceptions" people question here is ignorant of the question "Is Karma real". They are trying to argue against it with percieved variations of some exceptions to it being real.

Hey...life happens. And on its own accord as well....not karmic related. But...that was not the question here.

I stand by my original opinion as I know it personally to be true.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I feel karma is just a human attempt at making sense of events that are difficult to face. It is difficult to even entertain the idea that fairness and justice may not be relevant outside of the human experience.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I go with the karma re-balancing type thing, and it can happen either in this life or another. The difference with my belief is that it's a choice as to whether one wants to accept the balancing or not. E.G. One dies and then knows which way thier actions during the life have left them. If that is "negative", they may not be in a state as comfortable as they could be. They then have the choice of free-will as to whether they would like to try another existance, whether that be another round here, or something elsewhere, in an attempt at lessening the imbalance, so will then be in a more comfortable state when they once again "die". A child brutalised may well have "chosen" to go through that in order to counter-balance something they did in a previous existance, or the perpetrator is causing the imbalance to the child, in which case the child will be in a far more comfortable state after death than the perpetrator.

I go through life doing the best that I can to ensure I do not cause unbalance to anybody or anything else, including Nature.

From what I can see, the Universe strives for equilibrium as a most basic fundamental. I see no reason why that should not apply outside of this existance, but equally, there is no reason it should apply either. It's what I see now in this existance, so assume it apply's throughout. I may be wrong.
edit on 17/11/2014 by odaeio because: add comments

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I wasn't disagreeing with you, just asking an honest question. I also don't believe in the biblical god. That definitely wasn't God ordering the Israelites to kill all those people, it was men with agendas who passed their actions off as divine.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join