It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 questions you should be asking about Obama and immigration

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Lots of controversy and lack of information about Obama's "possible" Executive Orders coming soon.

Immigration reform is a key issue.

Some of Obama's "Ideas" are:

1. Some kind of amnesty for people brought to the U.S. as children and still are classified as "illegal".

2. Some kind of amnesty for parents with children born in the U.S. (as citizens), who are classified as "illegal".

3. Some kind of new deportation enforcement for "illegals" who have committed "other" crimes.

More involved.

CNN article ...

It's coming next week. Or next month. It'll protect 5 million undocumented immigrants from deportation. Or 3 million. Or less.

There's still a lot of uncertainty about President Obama's upcoming immigration executive order, since Obama himself has yet to make a final decision on an action to fix the broken system.

But while details aren't yet locked down, there are a few things we know for certain: the move is coming before year's end, the fate of millions of immigrants are at stake, and Republicans are fuming.

5 questions you should be asking about Obama and immigration]

related story....

Morale among officers at Immigration and Customs Enforcement, already low, has reached a new bottom as illegal immigrants expecting amnesty from President Obama taunt and ridicule the overworked officers, according to a new report.

“Yes,” said one, “working for this agency is hell right now.”

That was the latest message to immigration policy critic Jessica M. Vaughan, director of policy studies for the Center for Immigration Studies. She has charted the woes of the officers who carry out the president’s orders.

Working for ICE 'is hell right now,' as Obama plans amnesty for illegals

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
To award even illegal children, is placing them above the children of people who are coming here through the proper channels. It is rewarding the illegal parents. It is telling the rest of the world that it's ok to break our laws, you will get special treatment for doing so.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Who cares about legal citizens? We only exist to work to pay for everything the rest of the population wants.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Well, something needs to be done and apparently we cannot get congress to do jack squat.

These people are here working, paying taxes and fitting in with the rest of us....so why not grant them amnesty? It's better that they continue to contribute than for us to foot the bill to send them back to wherever they came.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247
Well, something needs to be done and apparently we cannot get congress to do jack squat.

These people are here working, paying taxes and fitting in with the rest of us....so why not grant them amnesty? It's better that they continue to contribute than for us to foot the bill to send them back to wherever they came.

Except how many of them are? How many of them actually do have tax liability after every is all said and done, and how many of them actually take out more than they will ever put back in?

Most of them are low-skilled and poorly educated. I respect that they work hard, but they still need access to the social safety net in order to live here which makes them more of a drain in many cases than a boon.

And when you cannot wear or fly American flags in some places because it might incite violence, they clearly are not "fitting in" either.
edit on 14-11-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Basically this admins view of immigration is that the rights of immigrants are more important than those of the citizens.

We have them taunting border agents, getting job opportunities and meanwhile most American citizens cannot make ends meat.

How nice of them.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

Except how many of them are? How many of them actually do have tax liability after every is all said and done, and how many of them actually take out more than they will ever put back in?

Most of them are low-skilled and poorly educated. I respect that they work hard, but they still need access to the social safety net in order to live here which makes them more of a drain in many cases than a boon.

If you wish to get a job in the US you must have a SS#, fill out a w-4 form and have taxes taken from your check. Filing exempt on the w-4 throws-up a big red flag to the IRS, so they must claim some deductions. If they have a fake SS#, they do not file for a return because they would get caught. So they do not get a return.

Also, these people do spend the money they earn to live and take care of their families.....all of which have taxes attached. So yes, they do pay taxes, and potentially leave a lot left in the system.

And when you cannot wear or fly American flags in some places because it might incite violence, they clearly are not "fitting in" either

That's a propaganda talking point. It's not even worth addressing.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Billions of dollars are sent back home to their own Country. Many are working and also claiming a one income household to gain benefits when they are above the poverty limit and NOT a one income household. Many claim dependents at the end of the year that don't even belong to them and aren't even from this Country!

If they were fitting in so well, we wouldn't be pressing one to hear our own language for important phone calls. There wouldn't be signs everywhere in Spanish. We wouldn't be required to speak THEIR language in order to get a job in some places.

It costs thousands of dollars for different languages to be printed up on signs, in documents and whatever. It costs extra to have interpreters in places, extra for many things for illegals.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

If they have a fake SS#, they do not file for a return because they would get caught.

They steal identities.

Also, these people do spend the money they earn to live and take care of their families.....all of which have taxes attached.

Some also get food stamps, cheap housing, medical...
Billions of dollars are sent out of the Country by illegals.

Our flag offending illegals IS NOT propaganda and IS worth addressing. What kind of a person comes to live in a Country where they are not respectful and grateful to be here?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Billions of dollars are sent back home to their own Country

That's true. A lot of money goes back to Mexico.....and China, the UK, India, etc. It's not just Mexicans that are doing it. Also, how much of that is from illegal immigrants? I've never seen any information on that. Should we ban all outgoing funds to foreign lands, or should we mind our own business and allow people the freedom to do with their money as they wish?

Many are working and also claiming a one income household to gain benefits when they are above the poverty limit and NOT a one income household. Many claim dependents at the end of the year that don't even belong to them

That's true as well, but it is not limited to just illegal immigrants. Legal citizens do it as well. All that point proves is that there is a problem in our tax system and it must be simplified. To stop that from happening you would have to make changes to how we all report/pay taxes.

If they were fitting in so well, we wouldn't be pressing one to hear our own language for important phone calls. There wouldn't be signs everywhere in Spanish. We wouldn't be required to speak THEIR language in order to get a job in some places.

This is America, isn't it? We are not a nation of only white, english speaking people. We have many different cultures and languages throughout this nation and that's they way it will always be. Some communities are predominately Mexican, or Chinese, or Bosnian, etc. Local communities will do what they have to do to serve their population....including signage to ensure public safety or communication.

When I get into conversations like this, I am reminded of the movie Gangs of New York and how the "natives" treated the Irish. If you haven't seen it, take the time. You may see a little "butcher" in you.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

They steal identities

Some do. But I was addressing the false idea that they game the tax system and receive tax returns....as many of those that do have stolen identities do not. Therefore, they are paying in to the system without any return. How nice of them, huh?

Billions of dollars are sent out of the Country by illegals.

Billions are sent to foreign countries, yes. Can you prove how much is sent out by illegals? I haven't seen those numbers.

Our flag offending illegals IS NOT propaganda and IS worth addressing. What kind of a person comes to live in a Country where they are not respectful and grateful to be here?

It is a propaganda talking point because it is used to get the misinformed outraged. There have been very few cases of 'illegals' getting outraged by the flag or a t-shirt and in the cases in which people have, it was based on either gang-related issues or liberals whining to make a point about fairness.

Also, most of the time when a flag is asked to be taken down it is due to the flyer of that flag either not flying it properly or they have broken a signed agreement with a HOA or apartment complex.

So most of that is, in fact, propa ganda, for the flag-waving emotional knee-jerkers.
edit on 11/14/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/14/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
People picture the immigrants along the border towns, but they are transported all across the US. California is in the worst drought in recorded history where many of the illegals have made their home and work. When the California agricultural industry ends as it is soon to end as we know it, and BIG Agriculture takes billions of acres to grow fuel leaving wastelands behind, this could be the icing on the cake for the good ole boys of the international consortium's as they go in for the final kill of American farming and the death of the Family farms where Americans still run, work and honor Food as the back bone of that time honored industry.

Cheaper labor, more labor and labor that will not turn against and turn in, disclose the truth behind The New Agricultural direction for America.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

This is America, isn't it? We are not a nation of only white, english speaking people. We have many different cultures and languages throughout this nation and that's they way it will always be.

EXACTLY, there are over 200 languages spoken here so why cater to the ones who refuse to learn the language of the land? Legal immigrants have to learn English, illegals do not. It would be chaotic if immigrants came here and just spoke their own languages. English has tied all cultures together here and it has worked for many. many years. It brings us together as a people who can understand and communicate with each other. We can't exactly expect everyone to come here and learn 200 languages!

When I get into conversations like this, I am reminded of the movie Gangs of New York and how the "natives" treated the Irish. If you haven't seen it, take the time. You may see a little "butcher" in you.[

I am part Irish.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I taught at a school that had over 40 different languages represented in it. Are you saying we should spend all the time and money required to make sure we cater to every one of those different languages? Seriously?

And which number combo on my phone pad do I hit to get to listen to English then?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

I am part Irish

Cool. You're people were treated the same way when they came to this country. Give it a bit of time and the mexicans will assimilate just as well as the Irish.

a reply to: ketsuko

Are you saying we should spend all the time and money required to make sure we cater to every one of those different languages? Seriously

No, I'm saying that we need to be patient, do the best we can and in time they will learn the language. If you cannot communicate with them, then they are the ones hurt by that. Not you or I.

And which number combo on my phone pad do I hit to get to listen to English then?

Really? All of my phone communications are in english and there is only an option to press a button IF you want spanish. Who the hell are you calling to not have an english-based system? Or are you just making that irrelevant comment to make an even more irrelevant point?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

I taught at a school that had over 40 different languages represented in it. Are you saying we should spend all the time and money required to make sure we cater to every one of those different languages? Seriously?

Exactly!!!!

LOL! I can't help posting this pic in these threads.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

You don't have to press one for English for some important phone calls????

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Like I said, I have never had to make a call and press one for english. I've only been asked to press one for spanish and the call continued in english no problem if I did not press one.

Also, many corporations serve more than just the US. Some of those non-Americans may not speak english.....therefore the need for a selection of different languages.

Ever thought of that?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Also, many corporations serve more than just the US. Some of those non-Americans may not speak english.....therefore the need for a selection of different languages.

Ever thought of that?

Then why do we have to press one for English and two for Spanish? I don't see any other language options.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Maybe the bulk of their customer base speaks english or spanish. I don't know.

Hell, call the Banco de Mexico system and they have an option for english, even though the majority of their customers speak spanish. I don't hear Mexicans complaining.

Why is it that this talking point is only an issue with Americans that complain about immigrants? Are we really that lazy or so wrapped-up this immigration deal that we complain about pushing a single button on a phone?

Really?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join