It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School replaces 'Hall of Heroes' murals honoring Mother Teresa and replaces it with Oprah and othe

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I hear what you're saying, but the new "heroes" are valid, IMO. Someone the kids can relate to.

And this is the sad part..that for some reason, people think it makes more sense to have them relate to moral bankruptcy, rather than wisdom, compassion and truth.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Here's what I thing this school and others should/could do.

Have kids research for "unsung" heroes, then write a paper on why they are true heroes.

They could have a revolving wall ---- and put together a book of the best examples.

Maybe even publish the book for a hero charity or something like that.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tucket

I hear what you're saying, but the new "heroes" are valid, IMO. Someone the kids can relate to.

And this is the sad part..that for some reason, people think it makes more sense to have them relate to moral bankruptcy, rather than wisdom, compassion and truth.

Are you determing my morals?

And what is wisdom, compassion, and truth?
edit on 14-11-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Google is your friend.

..And no, Im not determining your morals..At least not that Im aware of.

edit on 14-11-2014 by Tucket because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: solongandgoodnight
Wow. I believe the words I'm looking for here are ignorant, and disrespectful.

Really?

To who? Or whom? (Can never get those 2 straight)
The school.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

“This is no longer a hall of heroes,” parent Craig Bergman told me. “Now we have a hall of celebrities.”

I wonder if these "celebrities" are pillars of successful family values?

Never can tell.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Google is your friend.

..And no, Im not determining your morals..At least not that Im aware of.

Uh huh.

Well,it seems you are trying to do exactly that.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
While I do not agree with most of the people used for this new wall (except maybe, for Obama, as he is a historic figure, unfortunately), there are characteristics of the original people featured, that are less than flattering as well.

Aside from that, these images will eventually be replaced with who knows what, when the wall once again requires 'fixing up'.

I also agree that the term 'Heroes' should be changed to 'Inspirational Figures', or whatever. As an example, Oprah Winfrey is not what I would consider a heroine. Sure, she gives money to causes, but that money is minuscule in comparison to her fortune, and is most likely written off, anyhow. The person that donates their time at the soup kitchen on a regular basis, or gives money out of a much smaller bank account, has given more in comparison to Oprah Winfrey.

Though I'm not really angry over this story, I do find it upsetting that our generation has contributed so little to the collective pool of great people in history, that people like Oprah, Obama, Disney, and Angelou are considered "the best" we have to offer our kids for inspiration.
edit on 11/14/2014 by ProfessorChaos because: Typo

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine
Of those listed, only Gandhi is a real hero.

Really? Have you done any indepth research on Ghandi?

Here's a true story about Mother Teresa. Personal story, you won't find on the Internet.

At a fundraiser in DC for her orphanage. It was one of those $1000 plate dinners. She made them give her the money that dinner would have cost and served them a slice of bread instead. She was a force to be reckoned with.

I suggest you do more research on Mother Teresa. She refused to give pain killers to people dying in excruciating pain saying they should suffer like Christ suffered. Many horrible things were witnessed by volunteer medical professionals. When it came time for her to die, she went to a first rate hospital and died on clean sheets. She opposed the only thing that could have improved the lives of those living in excruciating poverty in Calcutta: birth control. She said, "Poverty is beautiful." Need more? Read Christopher Hitchen's expose' on her. By the way, the Vatican invited him to testify against her when they debated whether to canonize her.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 01:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: OrphanApology
a reply to: snarky412

JK Rowling- Most financially successful female author in recent times.

Oprah- Most financially successful female media host of all time. Also possibly a mean slightly psychopathic control freak.

Barack Obama- Violent warlord who has continued the sagas of Nixon and all the greats.

Maya Angelou- Successful black female author

Walt Disney-Possible pervert who created one the largest children's media franchises of all time

Ghandi- Prominent figure in philosophical circles. Also perverted weirdo who forced young women to lie naked with him so he could test his sexual urges, including his niece.

Albert Einstein- Pretty important dude, they should have kept this one on.

Mother Theresa- Questioning atheist who did some nice things for people.

Betsy Ross- Made flag design that is used in all blind patriotic practices to this day.

===I dunno, honestly JK Rowling is better than Ghandi in my opinion. Got a lot of kids to read and like reading. Ghandi made young women sleep naked with him. Seems like a better choice for a role model for young women. Just sayin'

Let's just limit it to J.K. Rowling.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tangerine

I suggest you do more research on Mother Teresa. She refused to give pain killers to people dying in excruciating pain saying they should suffer like Christ suffered. Many horrible things were witnessed by volunteer medical professionals. When it came time for her to die, she went to a first rate hospital and died on clean sheets. She opposed the only thing that could have improved the lives of those living in excruciating poverty in Calcutta: birth control. She said, "Poverty is beautiful." Need more? Read Christopher Hitchen's expose' on her. By the way, the Vatican invited him to testify against her when they debated whether to canonize her.

Just because I know of one personal story of MT, does not make me a fan,or supporter.

Personally I think she was a bit deranged.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
St. Oprah ... take away her money and see what is left.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
This story is being made into a political jab in the ribs.

A progressive school board somewhere in Podunk, Michigan makes a decision about their OWN walls in the OWN school (it's PAINT, for Christ's sake!) and the right goes nuts about it, as if it's ANY of their business! Every site carrying this story is a right-wing hit piece.

If it were Reagan on the wall instead of Obama, all the complainers here would be saying, "They have a right to put whomever they want to on their walls! It's a free country"! (and I would agree) Instead, they're complaining like little old women, sticking their nose into places they don't belong.

WHO CARES whose pictures are on the walls at this school? I say it's up to them. That's freedom, remember??? I've seen one or two parents complaining and that happens with every decision a school makes. This is a NON-STORY.

It's all about the "tyrant" and "liar" Obama. If his picture wasn't there, I seriously doubt this would have been a story at all. But FOX "news" decided to make a political story out of it and their minions ate it up like gruel. Their plan worked like a charm.

People are so predictable. It's no wonder we're at each other tooth and nail. You read the story, meant to incite outrage, and you become outraged, just like good little followers. THIS is the kind of thing the media uses to control people and keep us pitted against each other. Congratulations for playing along...

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
giving up your seat and protesting does not make a hero in my book

Considering who she was and what environment she was in, and what personal risk she was taking, I would consider her a very brave woman. Heroic people are those that put the greater good or the good of others ahead of themselves and in spite of personal risk. Her actions were heroic.

Oprah? No.
Rosa Parks? Yes.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

i totally get what you are saying....i just dont agree
of course she was brave.....brave does not = hero for me though.....

we just have different opinions is all. my opinion is no more or less valid than yours. yours is no more or less valid than mine.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grovit
we just have different opinions is all. my opinion is no more or less valid than yours. yours is no more or less valid than mine.

Very true. We aren't all going to have the same thought on what a hero is. To me, Rosa Parks is and Oprah absolutely is not. And since Ronald Reagan was just brought up ... I don't see Reagan or Obama as heroes either, they are just politicians with agendas who managed to get elected. And no, Obama being black and elected doesn't make him a hero, it just makes him a good politician with nefarious corporate & union backing pushing him along. Obviously the school can use whatever criteria it wants to decide who is a supposed hero and who isn't. AND this being a discussion forum we can all state our opinions of what they did. Aint America grand?

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
I don't see Reagan or Obama as heroes either, they are just politicians with agendas who managed to get elected.

I agree. I personally don't think most of the people, on the old wall or the new, were or are "heroes", with the exception of maybe Ghandi. That was my first point. One's man's celebrity is another man's hero. To many, modern day football stars are their "heroes"... Who am I to say who this school board should consider to be heroic? It's like art. To each his or her own.

I consider Oprah an inspiration because what she overcame and because of all the people she has literally saved from horrible lives. Her television show helped millions of women get through some terrible stuff in their lives and feel that life is worth living. She isn't just a TV celebrity, she's pretty serious about helping others. If someone wants to consider that heroic, so what?

Many see Obama as a hero, too. Who cares? I just really don't understand why what this little school does on its own walls matters...

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
There's a good youtube on how Mother Teresa was no Hero.

She even went onto say to forgive the bopal company for the bopal disaster which killed many ppl.

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

I just really don't understand why what this little school does on its own walls matters...

I'm not seeing people saying that this is a major world shattering thing. This is a discussion forum so people are going to find different things to talk about. This is one of them. Folks can give their opinions and people won't agree on who a hero is and isn't.

edit on 11/15/2014 by FlyersFan because: spelling

posted on Nov, 15 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

i wouldnt call reagan or obama a hero either.
i could see both of them being an inspiration to some people.....if for whatever reasons a person latched on or identified with their accomplishments and then looked to them as an inspiration for their life...sure, i see that
hero though.....nope

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join