It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School replaces 'Hall of Heroes' murals honoring Mother Teresa and replaces it with Oprah and othe

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Some parents are expressing their frustration after a Michigan elementary and middle school reportedly removed images of well-known and revered historical figures and replaced them with paintings of author J.K. Rowling, Oprah, Maya Angelou, Walt Disney and President Barack Obama

Along with Mother Teresa, the other images were of Flag maker Betsy Ross, scientist Albert Einstein, astronauts, Gandhi and Mother Teresa, among other national and international figures.

The wall needed repairs but instead of hiring someone to touch the images up, they painted over them and replaced them with what many consider 'Celebrities' and gone are the actual historical figures

For years, boys and girls at South Arbor Charter Academy have been inspired by Heroes Hall – a corridor featuring murals that honored the Space Shuttle Columbia astronauts, Mother Teresa, Betsy Ross and Albert Einstein.

But many parents are furious after the principal had the murals replaced with paintings honoring President Obama, J.K. Rowling and Oprah.

“This is no longer a hall of heroes,” parent Craig Bergman told me. “Now we have a hall of celebrities.”

The original mural had been a part of the Michigan charter school for years. It included a diverse group of national and global “heroes” – from Gandhi to the astronauts who were killed when the Space Shuttle Columbia exploded over Texas.

Source

I guess my definition of a Hero is not the same as theirs and I agree, other than Obama being as he's the first black president--technically Bi-racial-- the others have no historical impact on society

Makes one wonder what message they are trying to send out to the kids
And what kind of history are they trying to teach?

edit on 14-11-2014 by snarky412 because: add pic

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I'm finding this very sad, but not at all surprising. People these days worship at the feet (or backend) of self promoting people like Oprah. They don't admire or appreciate what people like Einstein and Gandhi have done. Priorities are messed up. Sad.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

I like what one person said:

" The mere fact that you have talent doesn’t mean you are a hero,” he said. “I want someone who made a life investment – perhaps they even sacrificed their life – so that our society and so our world could be a better place.”

Amen brother, Amen

edit on 14-11-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

So what's next a Kardashian monument ?

edit on 14-11-2014 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
One man's celebrity is another man's hero.

I hear what you're saying, but the new "heroes" are valid, IMO. Someone the kids can relate to. At least it's not Nikki Manaj and Kim Kardashian or football players. THEY'RE celebrities. J.K. Rowling (an author, not a celebrity), Oprah, Maya Angelou, Walt Disney and Barack Obama (a president, not a celebrity) have done some pretty spectacular things and the kids know who they are. I don't see a problem. Of course, some people will find it to be not politically correct and "offensive"...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Maybe they should rename the wall and call it "Insprational People". Heroes really gets over done.

However, IMO, primary kids will be more inspired by people they can actually relate to.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Maybe they should rename the wall and call it "Insprational People". Heroes really gets over done.

However, IMO, primary kids will be more inspired by people they can actually relate to.

That's what I thought but do they even know who Walt Disney is? He died before I went to school.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

But how can people relate to Obama? You have the Benghazi Fiasco, illegal wars in Libya, Syria and other Middle Eastern Countries and many other things.

Plus many people are getting tired of Obama and his policies.
edit on 14-11-2014 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

But how can people relate to Obama? You have the Benghazi Fiasco, illegal wars in Libya, Syria and other Middle Eastern Countries and many other things.

Plus many people are getting tried of Obama and his policies.

The schools cover that stuff between art class and nap.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Now that's a good idea......rename the 'Wall' to --Inspirational --

In my OP, I did not say anything against Obama, he'll be in the history books regardless

But I have no interest in idolizing people who make money off of acting, singing or writing books, guess I'm from the old school
I think they could have picked others that better suited being pictured with Obama
[and no I don't care that Obama & Winfrey are best buds]

edit on 14-11-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Plus many people are getting tried of Obama and his policies.

I see where you are coming from but politics aside....

He is the first black president [bi-racial] and will be in the history books as such
Now whether they depict him in a good light or bad light, will remain to be seen

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I kind of understand Oprah and Rowling, as they started from poverty and made themselves what they are. But I would not call them heroes; inspirational people would be a better title.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

That's what I thought but do they even know who Walt Disney is? He died before I went to school.

Not sure. He did build an empire from an idea.

But, as an individual, not really someone I want my kids emulating.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Knowing the good folks of Michigan as well as I do, I think the wall might be a little too black for them now.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
So, take down historical figures, and put up some "heroes". Oprah is a hero? She's a talk show host. There's nothing heroic about being a famous talk show host, unless not being able to decide which Ferrari you drove to work is somehow heroic.

Obama, MAYBE I can see. I don't think he's a hero of any sort, but others might disagree with me.

J.K. Rowling wrote books. She's also a celebrity. I would understand if she wrote books which challenged the established order, or gave people the inspiration to rise up against their oppressors. But no, she wrote a series of books about a child wizard and his adventures growing up.

Walt Disney is FAR from a hero. Aside from being a vicious anti-semite, he built an empire off cartoons and built theme parks. A hero among entrepreneurs maybe, but not in my book. He's certainly a respected cartoonist and businessman, but no hero.

Now some REAL modern heroes might be Malala Yousafzai. The young Pakistani girl who bravely defied sharia law and suffered greatly for it, and even after a tragedy, is still determined to learn.

Maybe Vasili Arkhipov, the Russian sub-commander who single-handedly saved the world by refusing a launch order of ICBMs.

I could add a few others, but damn. There are tons of great modern heroes out there.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Kids desperately need nature as a role model and guiding light in their lives, not politicians, "saints," celebrity, community organizers, or the rich and famous. Sadly mankind in its egotistical self-centeredness is unable to create a purer vision beyond itself.

edit on 14-11-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Well I think Oprah has done a lot for her fans and has put her life into helping many of the less fortunate. Sure she markets herself well, but the amount of charity that woman has put out for the black community is amazing (though I feel like Bill Cosby is a better example than Oprah). I can also see a good case could be made for Obama since he is the first black President. I really don't agree with any of the others, especially Walt Disney. That guy was a particularly nasty and greedy asshole. But to be honest, it would have been nice if they had just added those two to the rest of the figures instead of paint over it. Or maybe paint another wall?
edit on 14-11-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
none of them sound like heros to me...
not the ones they took down or the ones they put up

betsy ross is a hero cause she made the flag??

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Grovit

What are some examples of heroes in your mind, then? I'm genuinely curious.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Wow. I believe the words I'm looking for here are ignorant, and disrespectful.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join