It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School replaces 'Hall of Heroes' murals honoring Mother Teresa and replaces it with Oprah and othe

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScientificRailgun
a reply to: Annee

Rosa Parks.

Next question?

Rosa does not come into your home every day/night via media programming, as a real every day strong independent woman.

edit on 14-11-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

This idea is beautiful in its simplicity.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

JK Rowling- Most financially successful female author in recent times.

Oprah- Most financially successful female media host of all time. Also possibly a mean slightly psychopathic control freak.

Barack Obama- Violent warlord who has continued the sagas of Nixon and all the greats.

Maya Angelou- Successful black female author

Walt Disney-Possible pervert who created one the largest children's media franchises of all time

Ghandi- Prominent figure in philosophical circles. Also perverted weirdo who forced young women to lie naked with him so he could test his sexual urges, including his niece.

Albert Einstein- Pretty important dude, they should have kept this one on.

Mother Theresa- Questioning atheist who did some nice things for people.

Betsy Ross- Made flag design that is used in all blind patriotic practices to this day.

===I dunno, honestly JK Rowling is better than Ghandi in my opinion. Got a lot of kids to read and like reading. Ghandi made young women sleep naked with him. Seems like a better choice for a role model for young women. Just sayin'

edit on 14-11-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Semantics. The ones previously on the page were inspiring as well. As I said, all will choose their own. Personally I can't stand Oprah. I see her as sanctimonious, not inspiring.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Translation: They were all human with human failings.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Grovit
betsy ross is a hero cause she made the flag??

If you were to visit the Betsy Ross House here in Philadelphia they'd tell you that it's unproven folklore that Betsy Ross made the first flag. It's a 'probably happened' but not a 'for sure happened' kind of thing. The family did a great job marketing her as a 'for sure American heroine'.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

They should have just let the kids paint their own art on the walls. Murals dedicated to pop culture iconic "heroes" are lame because there is no such thing as a hero. There are people who have had great influence in various events but without researching them fully, all you are left with is a caricature. Everyone can do great things but there are always shadows lurking between the public and private personas.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I like the idea of just putting a mirror up under the banner "Hall of heroes".

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   

That's an awesome idea.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Semantics. The ones previously on the page were inspiring as well. As I said, all will choose their own. Personally I can't stand Oprah. I see her as sanctimonious, not inspiring.

I'm done with why Oprah is an Insprational phenomenom.

If you don't get it, you probably don't want to.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

I didn't come up with it though. Another poster, asktheanimals, posted it before me.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I get what you're saying. I just disagree. You may think Carlin is a foulmouthed person. No biggie to me. In fact it would be half right.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Missed that post!

Will go give them a star. Great idea in my opinion.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   

We get that you have a deep respect for Oprah and yes, I will agree she is inspirational. JK Rowling is inspirational too, as are several others. We're simply pointing out that there are probably other people who deserve a spot on that wall aside from Oprah.

These are our opinions, just as your assertion that Oprah belongs up there is an opinion. You're free to disagree with our opinion, just as we're free to disagree with yours.

However, when making your opinions known, and presenting a case for them, try to do it without subtly belittling those who hold a different opinion.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Couldn't they have just added they new heroes ?

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

I get what you're saying. I just disagree. You may think Carlin is a foulmouthed person. No biggie to me. In fact it would be half right.

Love Carlin. Irreplaceable IMO.

My age probably makes a difference in how I see the world.

And how I see the affects of wide spread media influence.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I can see that these people may be inspirational, but what have they contributed to the human race? In the wake of giants like Ghandi, Einstein, M Teresa, etc, these "inspirations" are merely shallow characters.
Not surprising, we have the ability for about that depth of thought. We have a country, a civilization, run by children. Simply put, most people don't seem to progress, mentally, past middle school.

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mr Headshot
I can see that these people may be inspirational, but what have they contributed to the human race?

The Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls - South Africa is a girls-only boarding school that officially opened in January 2007 in Henley on Klip near Meyerton, south of Johannesburg, South Africa. Inspired by her own "humble beginnings" and disadvantaged background, Oprah Winfrey stated that she founded the Leadership Academy to provide educational and leadership opportunities for academically gifted girls from impoverished backgrounds in South Africa who exhibited leadership qualities for making a difference in the world.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Mr Headshot

In my opinion JK Rowling's position is a far better situation to aspire to than M. Theresa.

Incredibly financially successful woman whose Harry Potter books dominate spot after spot on best seller lists of bestselling novels of all time.
She has dominated financially in a world that not many women have been able to succeed very well in.To me it's a nice and refreshing outlook for a lot of girls who may have demoted themselves to just being public school teachers or nurses.

publishingperspectives.com...

Please pray tell, why having someone like that as an icon is a bad thing? Yet a flag maker who may or may not have even made the American flag and a woman whose public persona was a lie is a good thing to look up to?

I'd rather be the bestselling author meself. Calling people "Children"(you know, as opposed to a winter sage such as yourself) simply because they choose to use financially successful icons on a mural instead of pop culture historical caricatures is just pointless in my opinion.
edit on 14-11-2014 by OrphanApology because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

i read that a bit ago. i was being generous and assuming she did in fact make the flag...
i still say so what...she made a flag. bfd.

rosa parks...
a hero? i dont think so...

she refused to give up her seat on the bus...it was awesome that she did...stand her ground...civil rights...totally awesome...
not getting out of a seat does not make you a hero in my opinion.

besides, she was not the first to resist

en.wikipedia.org...

On December 1, 1955, in Montgomery, Alabama, Parks refused to obey bus driver James F. Blake's order that she give up her seat in the colored section to a white passenger, after the white section was filled. Parks was not the first person to resist bus segregation. Others had taken similar steps, including Irene Morgan in 1946, Sarah Louise Keys in 1955, and the members of the Browder v. Gayle lawsuit (Claudette Colvin, Aurelia Browder, Susie McDonald, and Mary Louise Smith) who were arrested in Montgomery months before Parks. NAACP organizers believed that Parks was the best candidate for seeing through a court challenge after her arrest for civil disobedience in violating Alabama segregation laws,
---------------

so yeah....awesome example for civil rights? yup
hero? hell no

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join