It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Read Why the USS Donald Cook Crapped It's Pants and was 'gravely demoralized' in the Black Sea

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

No, there isn't. That is a vehicle mounted system far too large to mount in an Su-24. That's a system similar to Boeing's CHAMP, only larger.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
/shrug

Saw that this morning, and it reminded me of this thread. It does state it can be mounted to aircraft, and I'm assuming (prolly shouldn't) that size reduction is on the drawing board, like any other invention/weapon.
Also, the CHAMPS can be reduced to fit into a missile sized object, why wouldn't the soviets do something similar ?

I'm not really seeing any reason this couldn't be used aboard a frogfoot.

edit on 8-7-2015 by CrawlingChaos because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-7-2015 by CrawlingChaos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: CrawlingChaos

They probably will be able to eventually. Miniaturization has never been a strong suit of Russia though so it will probably take some time. But it would have to be pod mounted. The Su-24s that have been flying around the ships in the Black Sea haven't even carried external fuel tanks.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Maybe they cut their out going signals and THAT was interpreted as the effect.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: cavtrooper7

It's possible, but even with the interceptions that get dangerously close both sides are very careful about what they do and don't do during the situation. One thing you don't do is full up jamming that could cause damage. It could be interpreted as an attack and lead to something happening.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I don't think Putin cares, he likes flexing his muscles and showing that they aren't going to lay down and do as they're told.

Which could be quite dangerous and end badly for all of us.

posted on Jul, 8 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Power_Semi

And all the intercepts have one thing in common. They're still playing by the major rules, even if they're pushing some of them. They're not jamming any radios or signals, they're not trying to force them to land anywhere, they're not locking onto them with fire control radar, the Bears aren't pointing their guns at the intercepting aircraft, even though they're not pointing them up and away anymore, etc.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Power_Semi

And all the intercepts have one thing in common. They're still playing by the major rules, even if they're pushing some of them. They're not jamming any radios or signals, they're not trying to force them to land anywhere, they're not locking onto them with fire control radar, the Bears aren't pointing their guns at the intercepting aircraft, even though they're not pointing them up and away anymore, etc.

They won't for a while after another Russian bomber went down a couple of days ago Russia has grounded the so 24s they have a big problem. They have had 5 crash in a month something big is wrong. At this point going beyond like defective parts.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

The operations tempo they've been pushing is taking its toll.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The operations tempo they've been pushing is taking its toll.

I don't know seems like something else. You don't ground a fleet because of simple mistakes caused by operational tempo. Though I guess it could be overall lack of maintaining the planes. Which would show with increased flughts. But I still suspect something else to have 5 su 24s crash in 30 days is huge.

posted on Jul, 9 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   

It wasn't 5 Su-24s, it was five aircraft. And it's standard practice in Russia to ground a fleet immediately after a crash until they have an idea of the cause.

There were a MiG-29 and Su-34 within two hours of each other in early June, a Tu-95 that went off the runway a few days later, another MiG-29 later in June I think it was, and the Su-24 that just happened.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Perhaps the Russians did this

www.telegraph.co.uk...

"A top secret memo for Margaret Thatcher on the Soviet bloc’s laser weapons capabilities also disclosed that the UK created a “naval laser weapon” to dazzle low-flying Argentine pilots during the Falklands War, although it was never used in action.
The briefing, written by Michael Heseltine soon after he became Defence Secretary in January 1983, warned that Moscow was trying to develop a radio frequency weapon that could debilitate troops’ central nervous systems and an electromagnetic pulse weapon that could confuse radars, radios and missile guidance systems.
"The Americans are regarding with concern the recent information about Soviet capabilities in this field,” it noted."

Perhaps the old reds have finally developed the radio frequency that debilitates the nervous system?

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

Or it was all propaganda, or BS made and spread by a handful of websites. For being so terrified the Cook and others have gone back to that exact area an awfully lot since then.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Could be but my own government said Russians were working on what I mentioned from the telegraph link from the 80s

So they might have a device that emits a radio frequency that seriously messes up the central nervous system

Imagine the psychological effect that would have but I don't think they would show their hand so early they have these abilities in warfare

If I was naval commander I would order the cook back to that location after,even if this weapon was used for psychological reasons

To not do so would look weak

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

And they were. That doesn't mean that they perfected it. There are too many holes in this story and it all goes back to one website.

posted on Sep, 2 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Whereismypassword
Perhaps the Russians did this

www.telegraph.co.uk...

"A top secret memo for Margaret Thatcher on the Soviet bloc’s laser weapons capabilities also disclosed that the UK created a “naval laser weapon” to dazzle low-flying Argentine pilots during the Falklands War, although it was never used in action.
The briefing, written by Michael Heseltine soon after he became Defence Secretary in January 1983, warned that Moscow was trying to develop a radio frequency weapon that could debilitate troops’ central nervous systems and an electromagnetic pulse weapon that could confuse radars, radios and missile guidance systems.
"The Americans are regarding with concern the recent information about Soviet capabilities in this field,” it noted."

Perhaps the old reds have finally developed the radio frequency that debilitates the nervous system?

There is no radio frequency that will stop your central nervous system. They could use up idling radiation how ever the ship itself would protect you. Same with microwave radiation again you could damage nerves or cause a warming sensation or even pain but the ship would protect you.

Now blocking radar used to be easy in world war 2 radar transmitted on one frequency. To jam it you simply broadcast on the same frequency. This was early jammers. Let's take a moment to discuss radar there are only 3 ways to beat it. The first I already mentioned the second is making sure the signal doesn't return we call this stealth. And the third is to spoof it. This basically means a computer taking the signal and resending a signal to match a return. Say our radar sends out 1 signal we send back 2 more. So on the radar they will see 3 spots instead of one.

Now today with the advent of active electronically scanned arrays all thee of these methods are virtually impossible. The reason is the design each transmitter has there own frequency. And these frequencys are designed to interfere with each other. Much like noise cancelling headphones. This makes the radar hard to detect looks like random noise. The computer knows what frequencys it's using so it can decode it from the background noise. With each transmitter being different and even detecting which ones are used makes it near impossible to jam or send a false signal. The only way this is possible is if somehow they knew what frequencies and the order they were used. Think of it as radar encryption they would have to know the code.

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join