It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Read Why the USS Donald Cook Crapped It's Pants and was 'gravely demoralized' in the Black Sea

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Then why are there several stories floating around?

Russian propaganda?

The story seems fishy but I think there is something to it.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Russian propaganda?

No. Internet copying.
Doesn't matter how many times it appears, it doesn't make it righter.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   

And they all link back to the one or two Russian sources if you follow them back. Voltairenet is the most common one, but they also link to another source, but Voltairenet is the most common, even the Infowars article links back to it. Many websites using the same site for a source are not "several stories".

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   

That is what I am seeing, same article over and over again.

So was the AEGIS system brought down by the Su-24?

Is that just hearsay? I seriously doubt that if it happened, the US would admit it.

From what I can gather, the Su-24 did buzz the boat.....

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 01:16 AM
link   

The system in question is an Electronic Warfare Self Protection system. It's considered on par with what the F-16 and C-130J uses. It doesn't have the capability to take down an entire Aegis system.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod

That is what I am seeing, same article over and over again.

So was the AEGIS system brought down by the Su-24?

Is that just hearsay? I seriously doubt that if it happened, the US would admit it.

From what I can gather, the Su-24 did buzz the boat.....

The SU did buzz the ship many times to harass the ship, that news hit a long time ago but that's all that happened.

The system on the SU is defensive only, it can fool some incoming missile's on its tail hunting it but not the radar that sent it there from 15 miles away lol.

You cant turn off a car with a garage door opener. The shear power involved to jam a huge radar like Aegis would be immense. Especially since the ships have other radar systems as back up lol.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: StopThaZionistWorldOrder

Russia has also resumed all of it's paranormal military research, remote viewing, mind reading programs etc..., a gang of Super Rasputins and Wolf Messings, be very afraid, staring at goats has nothing on what these unexplained techniques are capable of.

I guess there will be a lot of pants crapping to go around, if they are capable of such advanced electronic feats, hacking into our computers and who knows what else.

posted on Nov, 16 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Russia has also resumed all of it's paranormal military research, remote viewing, mind reading programs etc
be very afraid

I'll add that to the memo. I have the feeling if any of that worked we would already see someone gaining great benefits from it.

(post by 0bservant removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed

originally posted by: NavyDoc

originally posted by: NoRulesAllowed
The OP story is ridiculous, there is so much wrong with it.

Why would a Russian plane "approach" a US ship....and why then (even if we assume it were true they disabled the ship's electronics)..would it "simulate 12 missile attacks". It goes against any common sense and would be incredibly stupid to do.

Says a lot about the credibility of the websites you pull that cr@p from...just saying...

Considering they wouldn't have to approach 12 times to launch 12 missiles, the premise is silly.

It's "silly" (mildly spoken) since even the most insane would not risk a 3rd world war with stupid games like this.
Does anyone seriously think Russians are THAT dumb that they would disable a ship, and then grinning and sheepishly laughing simulate missile attacks, 12 of them in succession actually...while holding their bellies laughing out loud?

What's a missile attack by a Russian plane on a US ship?

It's simply spoken an act of war, not much different than the Russians declaring war on America.
The article implies that those on the boat were "panicking", obviously implying that those on the boat thought it's real (attempted) missile attacks. (Let's just ignore the fact that the entire story is bogus, and assume this WOULD really have happened)

So..any sane person could assume that the Americans still possibly have one or the other way to communicate with HQ, so what would happen if those on the boat rely the message to their command they're being attacked by missiles? (Obviously they don't know it's just a "joke", they think it's real).

Even Russians drunk out of their mind from a gallon of Vodka would NOT risk a war or severe consequences by "playing" like this....this is why the entire story sounds idiotic to me.

I didn't say the situation was "silly" I said the premise of the article was "silly" as in "foolish."

(post by 0bservant removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Drunkenparrot

originally posted by: Power_Semi

The UK did some manouevers fairly recently with the US and our new class of sub is far and away more advanced and capable than anything else in the world, it quite blew away the US observers when they saw what it could do.

Would you mind providing an accredited source stating that the RN's Astute class attack subs are considered superior in any way to the USN's SSN Seawolf and SSN Virginia class attack boats.

I'm not disparaging the RN's Astute program at all. They are cutting edge platforms that are easily the third most capable attack boat in the world (and exponentially more capable than the Russian Federations equivalent Acula class or their newest variation, the 885 Yasen attack boats. )

Top 10 Attack Submarines

Nr.1 Seawolf class (USA)

Entered service: 1997
Diving depth: 487 m
Torpedo tubes: 8x660-mm
Weapons: Mk.48 torpedoes, Sub-Harpoon anti-ship missiles and Tomahawk cruise missiles

The boats of the Seawolf class are the most advanced but also the most expensive hunter-killer submarines in the world. These submarines were intended to restore the technological edge which the US Navy had enjoyed over the Soviets from 1945 until the mid-1980s, when espionage and the cynical trading practices of some US allies somewhat eroded it.
The Seawolf class boats were intended to seek and destroy the latest Soviet ballistic missile submarines, such as the Typhoon class and attack submarines such as the Akula class.

Initially 12 boats of the class were planned. However these advanced submarines were too pricey even for the United States to build and maintain on the post-Cold War era budget. Eventually production was stopped with only three Seawolf class submarines built. All of these boats are currently in service. The US Navy switched to much cheaper design of Virginia class attack submarines.
The Seawolf class submarines are arguably the quietest submarines in the world ever constructed. It is exceptionally quiet even at high speeds. Most submarines need to keep their speed down to as little as 5 knots to avoid detection by passive sonar arrays, while the Seawolf class are credited with being able to cruise at 20 kots and still be impossible to locate. A Seawolf at 25 knots makes less noise than an older Los Angeles class submarine tied up alongside the pier.
These boats can operate at greater depths than existing US submarines and can also operate under the polar ice cap. Also these are faster than most other submarines.

These submarines have eight 660-mm torpedo tubes. These tubes are used to launched Mk.48 torpedoes and Sub Harpoon anti-ship missiles. Torpedo tubes are also used to launch Tomahawk land attack cruise missiles with a range of 1 700 km. A mix of 50 torpedoes, Sub Harpoons and Tomahawks can be carried.

Nr.2 Virginia class (USA)

Entered service: 2004
Diving depth: over 250 m
Vertical launched tubes: 12
Torpedo tubes: 4x533-mm
Weapons: Mk.48 torpedoes, Sub-Harpoon anti-ship missiles, Tomahawk cruise missiles.

The US Navy's Virginia class nuclear-powered attack submarine is as a successor to the Los Angeles class boats. It was designed as a smaller, cheaper and more versatile alternative to the advanced but extremely expensive Seawolf class. A total of 30 of Virginia class nuclear-powered attack submarines are planned.
The Virginia class submarines incorporate newly designed anechoic coating, isolated deck structures and new design of propulsor to achieve low acoustic signature. It is claimed that noise level of the Virginia is equal to that of the Seawolf class.

The Virginia class submarines are fitted with 12 vertical launch system (VLS) tubes. These are used to launched Tomahawk land attack cruise missiles with a range of 1 700 km. Also there are four 533-mm torpedo tubes. These are used to fire a total of 26 Mk.48 heavyweight torpedoes and Sub Harpoon anti-ship missiles.

These boats can be also used for special operations. It is the first US submarine to employ a built-in Navy SEAL staging area allowing a team of 9 men to enter and leave the submarine.

Nr.3 Astute class (United Kingdom)

Entered service: 2010
Diving depth: over 150 m
Torpedo tubes: 6x533-mm
Weapons: Spearfish torpedoes, Sub-Harpoon anti-ship missiles, Tomahawk cruise missiles.

The first Astute class nuclear-powered attack submarine was commissioned with the Royal Navy in 2010. So far 7 boats of the class are planned. These will replace the older Swiftsure class attack submarines.
The Astute class boats are significantly stealthier and carry more weapons than the previous boats of Trafalgar class.

These attack submarines are fitted with six 533-mm torpedo tubes. These are used to launch Spearfish torpedoes, Sub-Harpoon anti-ship missiles and Tomahawk cruise missiles. A mix of 36 missiles and torpedoes are carried.

The Tomahawk Block IV land attack cruise missiles have a range of 1 700 km and can target enemy ships as well as land targets.

LoL - this is EXACTLY what I mean - you lot can't accept you're not the best of the best in EVERYTHING - I'm surprised you don't win every gold medal in every conceivable sport in the Olympics you're that good.

You can learn more about the Astute in the 29th most visited website in the World here: www.defensenews.com...

Of course you won't see much else in the news about the outcome, becuase good old democracy lovin' Uncle Sam doesn't like to have any kind of bad press, and what Ole Uncle Sam does is to say to people who have better technology than him - like the jet tech of the Brits in the 50's, or even all tech of the Germans in the 40's is: "give it to us or face economic sanctions" - but that's wearing a bit thin these days since you're broke.

Anyway, I didn't want to put it in these terms, but what the heck - we WHOOPED YOUR ASSES was in the war games in the supposed "best of best" sub wars in the Bahamas where we were supposed to play cat and mouse and take it in turns, but it transpired that we were always the cat and you were always the mouse and you couldn't get anywhere near us before being blown out of the water over and over and over again.

In fact we could detect you miles outside your detection zone, so you didn't even get a sniff of us before we'd hunted and killed you at every turn.

And that is a FACT - like it or not, whether it makes you feel inferior or not, and whether it meets with your "We are Americans - we are the best at everything" delusion - you're not the best, and even if you don't know it we do, the British Navy do, and the US navy knows it also.

So ya boo sucks to you and your jingoistic pretentions.

We beat you fair and square, and now you want to cry about it and pretend it didn't happen - What's it like to be an American?
edit on 17-11-2014 by Power_Semi because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: HarryJoy

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: StopThaZionistWorldOrder

The more passes they make, the more data they can collect on the radar and other systems.
I think this statement is close to being the best reason for the event. They very well could have been fishing to see if we had counter measures. So they would be able to try out their counter-counter measures. Unless we all want to believe that they really are that naive?

Yep it makes me think of "SPY versus SPY" compliments of "MAD" magazine.
en.wikipedia.org...

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Three words.

Home on Jam

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
They just flew over playing free bird and the whole thing shut down:

fire with fire.

posted on Nov, 17 2014 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Power_Semi

Sounds like you have a little complex going would it help if I said we like the UK too. We'll most of it you kind of have some strange names for stuff. Like elevators, cigarettes and cars but hey no one is perfect. Militarily speaking UK makes excellent weaponry they just don't have as much to spend. Realize California has a higher GAP than UK.

The Ohio class is superior but it's also expensive and is it worth it considering we could by 3 attack subs from the UK for the same price. Feel beter now if not sit down have a drink smoke a fag and relax.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
It's called cross-eye jamming.........see here......

www.veteranstoday.com...

The Achilles heal of the AEGIS cruisers is the fact that it has no good old fashion ppi scan radar antenna to fall back on. Only the X-band Phalanx system can be used as a back up. They will have to retrofit all of the AEGIS cruisers with an auxiliary mast mounted radar antenna with mechanical ppi scan to fix the problem.

posted on Nov, 18 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: SMOKINGGUN2012
It's called cross-eye jamming.........see here......

www.veteranstoday.com...

The Achilles heal of the AEGIS cruisers is the fact that it has no good old fashion ppi scan radar antenna to fall back on. Only the X-band Phalanx system can be used as a back up. They will have to retrofit all of the AEGIS cruisers with an auxiliary mast mounted radar antenna with mechanical ppi scan to fix the problem.

Cross eye jamming is a way to avoid missile lock. Doesnt make the craft undetectable it shifts the aircrafts position by several feet. Meaning missiles launch at the wrong target a fake target much like the double vision you get when crossing your eyes. Has nothing to do with the system itself and phalanx would be unaffected by this meaning they could have shot it down if they want. Not to mention on aircraft a missile would make up for this after mid course correction. The danger comes when trying to intercept an incoming missile where accuracy becomes critical. If an su 27 got in close enough timed with a launch of ship to ship missiles one could get through. Problem is for the pilot to get in close enough to do it in a shooting war it wouldnt happen. But in peace time where they would allow the aircraft to approach it would be a first strike option but realize this would start a war. And i dont think Russia waqts to go in that direction since there entire navy would be gone in a couple of days.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   
Kind of daft move by the Russians to showtheier capabilities like that.

posted on Nov, 19 2014 @ 09:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Merinda

I think they were testing more than showing........looks like they got the intended result.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join