It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLL: would you support human-made life on mars???

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 08:49 PM
link   
any more takers

this is just a healthy bump

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 01:50 PM
link   
life on mars IS a possibility and we need to get there and the best way to "survive" on mars is to make our own life there...

it is hard to answer this question:

do we destroy mars life in order for us to live there or do we wait and check for life first???

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I would like to see people to live there for researching purposes -I bet Mars has a lot secrets to unveil... but to create a colony there? I'm not sure, maybe if we learn first how to NOT destroy our own planet...

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzgul
I would like to see people to live there for researching purposes -I bet Mars has a lot secrets to unveil... but to create a colony there? I'm not sure, maybe if we learn first how to NOT destroy our own planet...

yes...

we can live there and do research at the same time...

i would also like to see electicy or solar power being used to power everything used on mars so we do not "polute" mars with gasoline and other harmful gases...

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Absolutely. you might ask: "Why should we terraform other planets?"

The answer is simple: "Because we can."

It seems a lot more sensible to terraform Venus, since we could orbit the planet, and seed some genetically-engineered microorganisms in the upper atmosphere which would consume carbon dioxide and give off water, oxygen, and some form of carbonate.

With the CO2 level down, the greenhouse effect would diminish, and the planet could radiate that nasty old IR back into space. Within a century or so, the surface would be cool enough for us to start adding other microorganisms to start an N-cycle in the soil, cyanobacteria for the water-puddles, lichen, mosses, gymnosperms, .... well, I'm sure you get the picture.

The neat thing is that we could start on terraaforming Venus right now, given the fact that we can probably whip up a GE microorganism to start eating up the carbon dioxide.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:24 PM
link   

do we destroy mars life in order for us to live there or do we wait and check for life first???

We have sensors and insturments so freakin' advanced now that if we sent just 1 scount mission with humans we would know that answer...

i would also like to see electicy or solar power being used to power everything used on mars so we do not "polute" mars with gasoline and other harmful gases...

I think we are past the petroleum age... We are just draining our supplies until they are gone. I mean, why make the transition and spend billions on newly designed cars-trucks when you can let the next generation of vehicles be designed with that (hybrids) and slowly introduce the population to them? There probable is no oil on Mars. I don�t think anyone is stupid enough to actually ship oil from Earth to Mars unless its just to power the space craft until fusion-antimatter engines are perfected. Not enough to even slightly pollute Mars.
We might not even begin terraforming Mars for a good while and we would have to use a base-city that are air tight. You can�t run polluting factories with no air. There is no atmosphere to keep in the pollutants and thus, no pollution of Mars.
We are ready; we just need a clean slate. Everyone know what consequences will arise if we screw this one up.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisRT

I think we are past the petroleum age... We are just draining our supplies until they are gone. I mean, why make the transition and spend billions on newly designed cars-trucks when you can let the next generation of vehicles be designed with that (hybrids) and slowly introduce the population to them? There probable is no oil on Mars. I don�t think anyone is stupid enough to actually ship oil from Earth to Mars unless its just to power the space craft until fusion-antimatter engines are perfected. Not enough to even slightly pollute Mars.
We might not even begin terraforming Mars for a good while and we would have to use a base-city that are air tight. You can�t run polluting factories with no air. There is no atmosphere to keep in the pollutants and thus, no pollution of Mars.
We are ready; we just need a clean slate. Everyone know what consequences will arise if we screw this one up.

remember it is bush

also, would the burning petroleum just rise to space (before we terraform it)???

[edit on 15-12-2004 by they see ALL]

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

remember it is bush

also, would the burning petroleum just rise to space (before we terraform it)???

Yeah well Bush is gonna get trimmed in a few years anyway.

We wouldn�t be burning preto before we terriform it because there would be no air to enable the engines to breathe, unless however you where to burn the engines in you�re living quarters. That would be as smart as the times when Russian ground crews fill the hydraulic lines of the fighter jets with Vodka...

To come to think of it, I don�t know if the smog would escape even though there was a thin-non existent atmosphere... It may hug the ground BUT since there is so much loose sand the sand storms may just burry most of it until we get some air on Mars and moisten it up.

One could always bring a fighter/attack jet to Mars with them. Even though it couldn�t fly it would be nice� Awe forget it. I�d bring one to the grocery store and bed if I could.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 02:33 PM
link   
i would like to thank everyone who participated in this poll...

yes is winning

thank you...

this thread has gotten 88 replies and over 1070 views ...

thank you for your time again...

keep it up

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
YES.

The terraforming opportunities on Mars seem like the only way mankind will survive itself, as it's growing too big for it's britches....

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
it is hard to answer this question:

Not really.

If their is life on mars it is a VERY primitive form, bacteria, maybe lichen or algae at most.

We should Terra form any way. The life might flourish in the new atmosphere and if it doesn't we can keep samples in a lab and Terra form anyway. This might rile a few people but a few germs and algae are not worth stopping us. Before people start saying EVERY life form is precious what about Small Pox? Should we stop using antibiotics because it kills germs? We deliberately destroy life forms every day for a lot less reason

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk

Not really.

If their is life on mars it is a VERY primitive form, bacteria, maybe lichen or algae at most.

We should Terra form any way. The life might flourish in the new atmosphere and if it doesn't we can keep samples in a lab and Terra form anyway. This might rile a few people but a few germs and algae are not worth stopping us. Before people start saying EVERY life form is precious what about Small Pox? Should we stop using antibiotics because it kills germs? We deliberately destroy life forms every day for a lot less reason

am i starting to sund like a hypie (save the trees)

yes...

we can do this too...

good points...

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Yes

Infact...i'll board the ship to be the first to be there :-D

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by subscorpion
Yes

Infact...i'll board the ship to be the first to be there :-D

not before me

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Yes.

I'd support human life on the moon first

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Th0r
Yes.

I'd support human life on the moon first

why the moon???

the moon is not cheaper than mars...

but the moos is a stepping stone and i like this

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Just remember this... As soon as we get a Moon base set up the technologies will be studied and developed by commercial companies and ASAP they will begin constructing similar Moon bases and renting out vacation spots... You never know, come 2015 or so they just may be launching cargo rockets with the parts needed for a civil Moon/vacation base!

Also, don�t think that we will stall at the Moon... it's quicker and more efficient to launch from the Moon to Mars then from the Earth to Mars. Quicker trip with more cargo aboard. we also are entering another space race with the Chinese (it will be announced in some way or another in the coming times) and with private industry... You think the government will let a few civilian best them?
That 2030 time frame for Mars that Bush gave was ~bull! We'll be there in 20...

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisRT
Just remember this... As soon as we get a Moon base set up the technologies will be studied and developed by commercial companies and ASAP they will begin constructing similar Moon bases and renting out vacation spots... You never know, come 2015 or so they just may be launching cargo rockets with the parts needed for a civil Moon/vacation base!

Also, don�t think that we will stall at the Moon... it's quicker and more efficient to launch from the Moon to Mars then from the Earth to Mars. Quicker trip with more cargo aboard. we also are entering another space race with the Chinese (it will be announced in some way or another in the coming times) and with private industry... You think the government will let a few civilian best them?
That 2030 time frame for Mars that Bush gave was ~bull! We'll be there in 20...

the less time the better...

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:29 PM
link   
the way to go about it would be haveing insect like species that would have a short lifespan so we would see a rapid advance in evolution like from the film mimic anyway ovoiusly they would need a earth like atmosphere but im only suggesting the above if you want fast results they would eventually change to the gravity after a few generations then you would begin slightly raising the amount of c20 in their environment and in a few hundred year i think you should see a development

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I was going to start a new thread with this question, but there is no need. I'll post it here and try to keep this one alive:

What will win: Christianity or curiousity?

It is a serious question. I asked a good friend about his thoughts on the matter and his answer was basically, "If life were meant to live there, God would have put it there." He also thinks that there is no other sentient life anywhere in the universe, and disagrees adamantly about humans leaving the planet Earth. Sadly, his views are shared by many. Why is it so hard to believe that we will one day colonise Mars and other planets or moons, and one day find out that, indeed, we are not alone? Does any one else agree that we should not explore the final frontier?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join