It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLL: would you support human-made life on mars???

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

how will we tell if the life on mars (if there is) was man-made OR there all along...

so here is the question:

would you support human-made life on mars???

please answer with a clear yes or no and then you can add whatever you want...

i vote yes but ONLY after we fully visit mars and check for life...

One can only assume you are talking man that is created naturally via conception right, or are you asking if we would support a human life form that was created in a test tube or cloning?

If you are talking cloning no way. No one knows what mars has on it and what effect it might have on cloning let alone natural conception that could take place if private areas that have been decontaminated first.

If you are talking via conception (Natural of course)
I would be for that provided that MARS had been checked out first.

who knows only time will tell

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:52 PM
link   

I was going to start a new thread with this question, but there is no need. I'll post it here and try to keep this one alive:

What will win: Christianity or curiousity?

Please, do keep this thread alive. I love the responses...

I don't want to bring religion/faith into this but if we do not immediately take steps to ensure that late current-future generations can rapidly abandon this planet most of the human race will expire. It's the same as not putting all you�re eggs into one basket. With the advent and continuing evolution of our missile defense system nuclear war will drop from the greatest threat to humanity and overpopulation, lack of resources, and just a busted and dying planet will replace its danger...

Whether it was meant for us to thrive on the Moon, Mars, and eventually the know universe is irrelevant... What is to stop us besides our immediate destruction, a few space mishaps? We are a stronger people then that. We will pick ourselves up and try again. eventually with the rapid almost sickening advancements in technology and biology we most likely will developed faster then light (FTL) interstellar ships and whatnot within this century and spread among the stars. Whether we where meant to soar into the heavens and spread out is in my opinion irrelevant... When we are occupying even just two planets what is going to happen to us because we weren�t meant to do so? The Sun going bang?

It is a serious question. I asked a good friend about his thoughts on the matter and his answer was basically, "If life were meant to live there, God would have put it there." He also thinks that there is no other sentient life anywhere in the universe, and disagrees adamantly about humans leaving the planet Earth. Sadly, his views are shared by many. Why is it so hard to believe that we will one day colonise Mars and other planets or moons, and one day find out that, indeed, we are not alone? Does any one else agree that we should not explore the final frontier?

I know people the same way... Look at the current administration, they run the country by the bible yet they are all for space colonization.

I for one want to be mainly on a ship as to not expire in a freak accident on any planet.

[edit on 17-12-2004 by ChrisRT]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Yes.

But what would be the point in moving to Mars to live your life just like on Earth? They'd use greenhouse gasses to mely the water [if there is any] and then everything else would take off from there!

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Yes.

But what would be the point in moving to Mars to live your life just like on Earth? They'd use greenhouse gasses to mely the water [if there is any] and then everything else would take off from there!

It would be different... we aren�t going to quit having kids anytime soon and with extended life expectancies where will everyone live? Where will the food be grown? Where will the trees for the houses be grown?
Mars is just the doorway to the universe for humanity...

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
ChrisRT says:

"I don't want to bring religion/faith into this but if we do not immediately take steps to ensure that late current-future generations can rapidly abandon this planet most of the human race will expire. It's the same as not putting all you�re eggs into one basket. With the advent and continuing evolution of our missile defense system nuclear war will drop from the greatest threat to humanity and overpopulation, lack of resources, and just a busted and dying planet will replace its danger..."

I couldn't agree more. There were many times in our development as a species that we -- or our immediate ancestors -- sometimes dropped almost to extinction due to geological and climatic changes.

We've the potential to kill most of ourselves off -- maybe to the point where the species can't survive. We need to expand and try new things. It's been in our DNA since the first lungfish pulled itself onto the shore of a Ordovician island somewhere.

We're so close to the next step in our development -- to Homo universalis. We can't stop now.

[edit on 17-12-2004 by Off_The_Street]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Food could be grown on Mars [if the change works] while superstructures could be built on the Moon, or in orbiting space stations?

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisRT

It would be different... we aren�t going to quit having kids anytime soon and with extended life expectancies where will everyone live? Where will the food be grown? Where will the trees for the houses be grown?
Mars is just the doorway to the universe for humanity...

First they will live in houses or apartments made out of man made products. No one will need trees for building when using those materials they are natural.

Food will be grown in green houses or in the earth as it is now. That is of course assuming the soil is adaptable. If the soil is not adaptable and there is no water, well then the solution would be no life on mars. Simple as that.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Their is plenty of space on Earth, we just need to "develop" the deserts into fertile lands! Build platforms on the oceans to grow food on etc...

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
One can only assume you are talking man that is created naturally via conception right, or are you asking if we would support a human life form that was created in a test tube or cloning?

If you are talking cloning no way. No one knows what mars has on it and what effect it might have on cloning let alone natural conception that could take place if private areas that have been decontaminated first.

If you are talking via conception (Natural of course)
I would be for that provided that MARS had been checked out first.

who knows only time will tell

i am talking about man making (or creating) life (nature. clouds, plants, CO2 and etc.) on mars...

this is also called:

terra-forming...

i heard it on the history channel and i was amazed about this fact so i started this thread...

hope this helps...

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Let this thread not stray too much...

You guys don�t understand that there isn�t enough room and resources to satisfy even the current population.
By some estimates the population will grow to ~15 billion by 2020. Estimates now are that the Earth can only sustain ~6 billion. Something�s got to give and who knows what it will be before the resources get depleted. Sure, you could cower down and terriform deserts but with those funds one could also lash out into space where our destiny awaits. You are telling me that you'd rather live in a cramped, dirty, extremely crowded, and unsustainable environment then to venture out into the beautiful space? Blasphemy! Simply put, we aren�t going to survive past 2050 if a population cap isn�t put into place. We are already seeing the beginning of resource wars. It's only going to get worse as even when we developed alternative energies the less fortunate and more populated countries won�t have that luxury and will duke it out on probably a nuclear stage with each other.

Whether you want to blissfully sit back and believe everything would work out here on Earth is all up to you but me, and many others are more informed at the matters on hand and will be taking action� like it or not�

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   

We're so close to the next step in our development -- to Homo universalis. We can't stop now.

Is that the actual name? If so then
!!! Anyway, bump!

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisRT
Is that the actual name? If so then
!!! Anyway, bump!

what are you talking about???

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Yes.

This would be earth's big second chance at keeping a clean house.
Teraforming a planet and bringing over new life to populate a sustainable environment is a very exciting project.

It would be a genetically engineered planet.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I will give a big whole hearted YES althought it will never happen in any of our life times. Also wasnt there a old star trek movie about terra-forming? Of course Kirk saved the day.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Yes, unfortunatly we wont be playing a part in the construction of a new world. But at least we can help define how history will judge this one.

The movie was star trek 2 I believe.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Yes. There is no plant or animal life on Mars anyway.

But we are not able to terraform any planet yet. It's alot easier to build underground or make large domes that covers city and farms.
This of course require soil that plants can grow in. The moon's sterile sand is probably useless for plant life.

But when we are able to do it, we should try to dissolve the clouds around Venus, strenghten or create ozone layer on Mars, and create an artifical atmosphere on the moon from the bottom up. At Mars we might want large mirrors in orbit that help heat it up a little, while at Venus we can have screens in orbit to reduce how much sunbeams reach the atmosphere there.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Yes, provided we can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that there is no life on Mars right now. That's the only requirement before Project Genesis can proceed.

On the other hand I think some of us are being a little Malthusian in our estimation's of Earth's carrying capacity. It is entirely possible that technology will continue to advance and keep pace with our demands. All current food shortages today are a result of poor distribution, not a lack of supply. We have the ability to provide a high diet standard to the whole world, we just seem unwilling or unable, b/c of geopolitics.

posted on Jan, 17 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
My vote is YES!

Although I have lost a lot of my enthusiasm after reading that it won't happen in any of our life-times... Of course it won't. We all knew that it wouldn't, but for some reason after reading that, it seems to have put a damper on my excitement and ruined it!! Oh well.

Anyway, my real quick thoughts are what can we do right now to ensure that something like this happens? It is obvious that it is the way of the future. Who cares if there are a few (quite possibly) deadly germs on Mars. Think of the BIG PICTURE. We are dead here if we do nothing. So what can we do as invidivduals or a group to further this process now?

Few other comments: They will be doing things with the deserts, mountains, and even seas/oceans before they do things like this on Mars, Venus, or the moon. Matter of fact, I think theyve actually started something like this a while ago, just not on a massive scale.

Also I have good ideas for colonizing deeper into our solar system. Once we establish the moon, Mars, and Venus, we should move further out, IE the large moons of Saturn and Jupiter. Apparently Europa is almost completely covered in a vast ocean of liquid water. That'd be a nice supply to have out there.
But I like the idea of harnessing the Sun's power, maybe we could somehow channel it to make it warmer back there? Or get it to build up into giant reflective material that's orbiting some of those moons to actually make it warm. Hey, it's not that far fetched, trust me. Also the idea of harnessing the Sun's power to warm Mars, and take away heat from Venus is a great idea. Although the Sun will eventually blow up in 4 billion years, but we'll either be extinct or in a thousand other solar systems by then, so it won't matter.

Anyway, another huge problem is the violence here on Earth right now. None of this makes a difference at all if we all kill each other with nukes. There has to be some sort of world order or global community in order for something like this to work. Becuase like someone said, if not, it will be a race to do this colonizing, and if not done together will cause war and destruction on Earth. That's my 2 cents.

[edit on 17-1-2005 by Ajax]

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I didn't see this mentioned earlier, but the interesting thing to me is that by moving people to Mars and other places, we would be in effect creating new 'sub-species' of humans with different characteristics due to the radically different environments.

Even if you terraform Mars, the lower gravity and air pressure are eventually going to create modified humans that would find it difficult or impossible to travel back to earth and survive. The martians would be us.

posted on Jan, 18 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
yes i would support it even though it is likely never going to happen because cloneing isnt even being allowed... but anyway i was thinking..

mars is very closly related to earth .. maby its the "past earth"
titan is supposily is closly related to earth during the past

so by learning more about titan could we learn about mars.. and our planet?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join