It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLL: would you support human-made life on mars???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:11 AM
link   
But why would someone want to live on Mars anyway? I got all i need right here. Sure i would like to go there but not live my life there.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juanita
Alter a planet?? Can't we ever just learn to adapt instead of making everything else adapt to us??

With temperatures that are similar to those in the Arctic even during the summer.Night time temperatures plunge below zero and can even freeze carbon dioxide gas out of the atmosphere in some places.

The atmosphere on Mars is mostly carbon dioxide (about 95%) and a little nitrogen (less than 3%). It is also very thin- the air has less than 1% of the pressure we have on Earth. The atmosphere is so too thin , You would die of the bends even if we could breath carbon dioxide.

Can we adapt to that? Not in 10 million years could humans ever evolve to those type of conditions. Why should humans not turn a dead world into a living one I dont understand your logic.

The earth cant take human population numbers that we will have in a 100-200 years either we expand into the solar system or we are doomed as a race.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Why stop at Mars when we have a whole universe to colonise?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mephorium

Large parts of the Universe might already belong to some one eles. But I think the sol system belongs to all the people of earth.

But after about 4 billion years we have to get out of this entire solar system or the human race dies with the sun.

[edit on 10-12-2004 by ShadowXIX]

[edit on 10-12-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Maybe some "Star Wars" type alliance can be formed, merging all civilisations?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Star Wars might not be a example we want with the Empire ruling with a iron fist
Star Trek would be better with its Federation of planets something like a space UN

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I'm an "Iron Fist" kind of man, as long as I am in control... gez, now I'm starting to sound like Bush.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
mars yes moon no.

reason mars has an atmosphere. and while it is thin it will be thicker
when the temperature rises by artificial co2 plants. like industrial
plants which convert recources into other useble things with rest products co2 which raises the temp melting ice and there for creating a global warming clouds will form ect and bacteria which are dorment will be spawn into bigger lifeforms.

more info search on google : terraforming.
or on Nasa.gov
nasa has plans for future terraforming of mars.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
mars yes moon no.

another reason is that if we decide to go to mars, it will be cheaper than the moon. if we go to the moon and decide to "live" there, we will have to constantly supply the "base" with water because there is no water source on the moon...

if we pick mars, it will be cheaper because mars has two polar ice caps that we can get water for the humans...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
that is 14 for yes and 2 for no ...

any other voters

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mephorium

is that a yes or no ???

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I'd have to say No

We're already destroying this planet, if we took over another planet we would only end up destroying that as well, what gives us that right

I'm sure the money and effort could be better spent on protecting and improving our own planet

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
One would think that "Why stop at Mars" would be self-explanatory. But since you asked nicely, yes, I do support man-made life on Mars.

[edit on 10-12-2004 by Mephorium]

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

mars yes moon no.

another reason is that if we decide to go to mars, it will be cheaper than the moon. if we go to the moon and decide to "live" there, we will have to constantly supply the "base" with water because there is no water source on the moon...

if we pick mars, it will be cheaper because mars has two polar ice caps that we can get water for the humans...

sorry there you're wrong there is water on the moon. its frozen. in the craters on the north and south pole and in the main basins of the bigger craters. we have to go to the moon first for it much be and can be used as a starting point for dragracing space probes testing faster and faster engines. even nuclear fision and fusion , anti matter and other types of drives. its better to test them from the moon then on earth and the time delay from mars is to big for an emergencie stop signal will take to long.
thing can be tested in the lab people will say computer simulations ...
:S
computer simulations and mathemeticals are sometimes or let me say all ways way of because we are on new frontiers and not all perimeters or know so they could ave been insert in the test systems/ computer simulations.

but mars can be a great stop and has to be a colony in the real short term because of all troubles in / on / around earth ect.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by nibiru
I'd have to say No

We're already destroying this planet, if we took over another planet we would only end up destroying that as well, what gives us that right

I'm sure the money and effort could be better spent on protecting and improving our own planet

the money spend there is will ensure protecting human race and earth and inproving lifing standarts for all humans on mars and earth.

for if we did not go to mars , we will get ...

- over population
- lak of food
- poverty
- less tech for medical , science and other benifits
- human race will be destroyed totally in this solar system
by wars, lak of food, global warming, lak of space for all the people
weather disasters, space based disasters as solar flares and meteors
and comets.
- no new energy production capebilities
- no oil replacement or replenisment.
- no new mining tech.
- no faster space travel.
- no real space economy
- no place of detecting meteors earlier and earlier interseption.
- no real spiritual enlightment
- no way to really find our ancestors.
- no way of finding life earlier
- and mars is then not the stepping stone for us getting a manned mision
to the moon Europe.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:27 PM
link   

sorry there you're wrong there is water on the moon. its frozen. in the craters on the north and south pole and in the main basins of the bigger craters. we have to go to the moon first for it much be and can be used as a starting point for dragracing space probes testing faster and faster engines. even nuclear fision and fusion , anti matter and other types of drives. its better to test them from the moon then on earth and the time delay from mars is to big for an emergencie stop signal will take to long.
thing can be tested in the lab people will say computer simulations ...
:S
computer simulations and mathemeticals are sometimes or let me say all ways way of because we are on new frontiers and not all perimeters or know so they could ave been insert in the test systems/ computer simulations.

but mars can be a great stop and has to be a colony in the real short term because of all troubles in / on / around earth ect.

damn im wrong???

anyway, i STILL think it will be cheaper because what is cheaper:

going down into mines (on the moon) OR just going to the poles (of mars)???

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Yes...

My answer has more to do with population than polution.
It is pretty crowded here already, we need to go somewhere.
Otherwise I forsee some sort of ZPG put into effect in the not to distant future?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
YES

While some may argue we need to get things straight here first, I'd add, "Was Europe perfect before the exploration and settlement of the Americas?" It is human nature to explore, not to mention the investment in partaking in such an endeavor. If the Apollo Missions return in investment from developing technology is any means on measuring profit from manning Mars, it would be a success perhaps?

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Who owns Mars?

Any attempt to dominate space would result in war on Earth

It would be ironic if a debate regarding life in Mars would escalate into a war of anihilation on Earth.

I support the colonization of Mars if done by the Chinese.

Anyone else, get the hell away from it.

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tartessian
Who owns Mars?

Any attempt to dominate space would result in war on Earth

It would be ironic if a debate regarding life in Mars would escalate into a war of anihilation on Earth.

I support the colonization of Mars if done by the Chinese.

Anyone else, get the hell away from it.

why the chinese???

communism on mars???

good joke

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join