It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola patient is in NY

page: 41
<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: RunForTheHills

As other people have mentioned its probably from fluid build up. They say one of the most effective treatments at this time is just fluid replenishment there's no telling how many bags of saline she's had pumped in to her. Steroids will cause massive water-weight gain in most people. I blow up like the Michelin man whenever i'm on them for even just a week lol Shes not gonna have any problem urinating for the next day or two that's for sure

As for them releasing Spencer's friends... Its probably more of a PR move trying to calm peoples fears- which is counter intuitive if one of them turns up positive.... thats gonna cause quite the panic. I hope they realize as we do that people really cant be trusted to "quarantine" themselves 100% of the time. I dont think they need armed guards at their doors..... but maybe a rotation of 3 nurses every 8 hours posted at his door. To take temps, and actually physically monitor them and make sure they are A) healthy and B) safely inside their own home.

Better safe than sorry, IMO.

IDK why the decided to release the two friends though. From what i understand about testing, even the most reliable methods can and will test negative in the first few days after infection... and generaly wont show positive until right when or right before the patient starts showing actual symptoms. I may be wrong on that but ive read so much BS its hard to know whats really known lol

I just hope they dont drop the ball on this

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: RunForTheHills

originally posted by: OkieDokie
They are releasing the Dr's fiancé and two friends from hospital quarantine today.

Two friends of the couple who went bowling with them in Williamsburg this week have been quarantined with Dixon as a precaution - but are set to be moved from the hospital to their homes later today, the New York Times reported. There they will still be under quarantine but away from the secure ward where Dr Spencer is being treated.
Link

~OkieDokie

I am sure 2 days is plenty of time to see if they have been infected! (NOT) i am sure they will self quarantine the same as the others have. (NOT)

They should be forced to remain in quarantine another month at least. With how sick Dr. Spencer has been and the various places he went to, who knows how many have been exposed? Those friends have had even closer contact, esp. the fiancee. They're asking for trouble if they get released now.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: MrLimpet

They do lower the reaction or overreaction of the immune system, and I believe ebola stimulates enough to make that system more or less turn on itself, as in a cytokine storm, so it may or may not make sense this could have been used in treatment. Guess it all just depends what was happening with her. That and that a side effect is that they can hide signs of infection is all I remember when I had to take them.
edit on 10/25/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Just catching up here.

Why!!!!!!!? Are they releasing the fiance and two friends from quarantine? Isn't the purpose of a quarantine that you stay... in it? What the hell?

I just keep coming back to... why are we only getting people coming back with Ebola now? I mean I am starting to wonder if our help is really helping if that makes any sense. We have more medical staff over there than ever and now a bigger outbreak than ever putting many countries at risk and more health care workers sick/dead from it than ever. Are we doing more harm than good? Nothing makes sense anymore.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: itswhatev

They have dropped the ball so much already, I can not see them NOT dropping the ball again.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ValentineWiggin

The more we learn the less sense any of this makes! I just have a bad feeling this time with it being in one of the biggest most populated cities in the US.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Also, didn't the initial reports of Spencer's girlfriend I mean.. fiance.. refer to her as "very agitated"? Something tells me someone has a case of princess syndrome. This is entirely speculation but I bet she couldn't be bothered to stay in quarantine that long and threw around the word "lawsuit" enough for them to let her out.

And thus continuing the cycle of stupidity the CDC et al have shown since Dallas.
edit on 25-10-2014 by ValentineWiggin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Reports are coming in that an "extraordinary number" of staff are calling in sick to the New York hospital to avoid having to treat this Ebola patient.

Horrible morals and ethics from a heathcare system that is constantly touted as "the best in the world".

Any worker that called in sick that can't produce a doctor's note (one NOT written by a doctor at the same hospital) should be fired on the basis of their incredibly poor morals and ethics.

If you're working in a job that requires you to look after sick people, you can't pick and choose which sick people you'd like to look after.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: RunForTheHills

she looked like she had nothing more than a cold from onset of symptoms to death is a very short period and fatality rate is up to 90% according to the strain

Ebola virus disease (formerly known as Ebola haemorrhagic fever) is a severe, often fatal illness, with a death rate of up to 90%. The illness affects humans and nonhuman primates (monkeys, gorillas, and chimpanzees).
linkand believe it is the Zaire strain which is one of the worst ones out there

What Is the Survival Outlook for Ebola?
According to the World Health Organization, the average Ebola case fatality rate is 50 percent. However, some virus strains are deadlier than others. According to the Public Health Agency of Canada, the Zaire and Sudan viral strains have a 90 percent fatality rate.
link
so what are the chances that all of the diagnosed patients in the us are making miraculous recoveries and rather quickly?
I'm not saying there is no Ebola I just feel there is a big piece of the puzzle missing either we are not being told the whole truth or these people are not who they say they are.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrLimpet
a reply to: ~Lucidity

I must have missed that part.

However, cortisone and/or any type of steroids are known to lower the immune system.

Just MO, but I wouldn't think steroids would be acceptable for someone with Ebola.

I could be wrong.[/

I think you're absolutely right.
"What we found in general is that among our Ebola patients, because of the amount of fluid they lost through diarrhea and vomiting, they had a lot of electrolyte abnormalities. Our two patients also gained an enormous amount of fluid in their tissues, what we call edema. In Ebola virus disease there is damage to the liver and the liver no longer makes sufficient amount of protein; the proteins in the blood are very low and there is an enormous amount of fluid leakage out into the tissues. So one of the takeaway messages is to pay closer attention to that and perhaps early on try to replace some of these proteins that patients’ livers lack.

What we found in general is that among our Ebola patients, because of the amount of fluid they lost through diarrhea and vomiting, they had a lot of electrolyte abnormalities. And so replacing that with standard fluids [used in hospital settings] without monitoring will not do a very good job of replacing things like sodium and potassium. In both of our patients we found those levels to be very low. One of the messages we will be sending back to our colleagues is even if you don’t have the equipment to measure these levels, do be aware this is occurring when patients are having a lot of body fluid loss.

What sort of lessons has Emory learned from caring for these two people that would be transferrable to patients in west Africa?

What we found in general is that among our Ebola patients, because of the amount of fluid they lost through diarrhea and vomiting, they had a lot of electrolyte abnormalities. And so replacing that with standard fluids [used in hospital settings] without monitoring will not do a very good job of replacing things like sodium and potassium. In both of our patients we found those levels to be very low. One of the messages we will be sending back to our colleagues is even if you don’t have the equipment to measure these levels, do be aware this is occurring when patients are having a lot of body fluid loss.
Our two patients also gained an enormous amount of fluid in their tissues, what we call edema. In Ebola virus disease there is damage to the liver and the liver no longer makes sufficient amount of protein; the proteins in the blood are very low and there is an enormous amount of fluid leakage out into the tissues. So one of the takeaway messages is to pay closer attention to that and perhaps early on try to replace some of these proteins that patients’ livers lack.

www.scientificamerican.com...

Convalescence — The convalescent period of Ebola and Marburg virus disease is prolonged, and marked by weakness, fatigue, and failure to regain weight that was lost during illness. Extensive sloughing of skin and hair loss are commonly observed, possibly as a result of virus-induced necrosis of infected sweat glands and other dermal structures [123].

(Not an Ebola-related link, just a general link about mild capillary leak syndrome.)
Mild capillary leak syndrome? This syndrome (systemic) is associated with Ebola. But mild? IDK.

Edema and Capillary Leak Syndrome from another non-Ebola abstract:

Clarkson syndrome, or idiopathic capillary leak syndrome, can cause acute or chronic generalized oedema [74–76] because of rapid plasma extravasation. In 80% of cases it is associated with an IgG monoclonal paraprotein, and the attacks can be life-threatening because of renal failure, pulmonary oedema and shock. Treatment includes plasma expanders and corticosteroids.

www.uptodate.com...

edit on 25-10-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-10-2014 by drwill because: missing text

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I simply don't understand what's going on. 21 day quarantine periods reduced to...like a day and a half or something. And then the Dallas nurse looks like she just got out of a corn-fed convention. I AM SO HAPPY SHE IS OKAY! She is one health care worker who did her job and then did the right thing after she did her job and I'm really happy she is okay. However...what the hooey is going on?

Doesn't this all seem...surreal? Seriously, the plot to TWD is more realistic than this.

*scratches head and goes hmmmmm*
edit on 10-25-2014 by Valhall because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: whoreallyknows
Ebola NY Times summary with graph

Here is a good article with timelines and graphs of all the Ebola patients who are treated outside West Africa.

bumping so your link doesn't get lost because your post wound up at the bottom of a page. Good link with good information, timelines and charts.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Are they not reporting on Dr Spencers condition?

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: funkadeliaaaa

Last I heard it was "stable".... stable how, your guess is as good as mine.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrLimpet
a reply to: TWILITE22

I thought Nina looked different in the photo-op.

She appeared heavier than other photos (including the pic at the hospital).

Anyone else think so,.. or is it just me?

I agree. I don't recall seeing highlights in her hair when she was skyping from NIH. And Amber Vinson's selfie...I would never have known she was sick.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: ValentineWiggin
Also, didn't the initial reports of Spencer's girlfriend I mean.. fiance.. refer to her as "very agitated"? Something tells me someone has a case of princess syndrome. This is entirely speculation but I bet she couldn't be bothered to stay in quarantine that long and threw around the word "lawsuit" enough for them to let her out.

And thus continuing the cycle of stupidity the CDC et al have shown since Dallas.

I kind of hope his girlfriend has attitude and is a mouthy sort of woman. Maybe she'll eventually spill the beans to some assertive reporter and tell us all what's really going on!

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Just catching up here.

Why!!!!!!!? Are they releasing the fiance and two friends from quarantine? Isn't the purpose of a quarantine that you stay... in it? What the hell?

I just keep coming back to... why are we only getting people coming back with Ebola now? I mean I am starting to wonder if our help is really helping if that makes any sense. We have more medical staff over there than ever and now a bigger outbreak than ever putting many countries at risk and more health care workers sick/dead from it than ever. Are we doing more harm than good? Nothing makes sense anymore.

Okay, and so this healthcare worker who was just quarantined from coming back from Africa (and developed a fever) tested negative for Ebola. But they are still quarantining her for 21 days.

But they're letting Spencer's close contacts go?!

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

a reply to: funkadeliaaaa

Last I heard it was "stable".... stable how, your guess is as good as mine.

You're right.
Stable only means that a patient's condition has not CHANGED since the last report.
Neither changed for the better, nor changed for the worse.
A patient could be in the same state of dying as they were at last report, but just not dead yet!
Or the opposite; i.e. no change.

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
If he recovers does this mean weve cracked it? So long as we continue to see minimal numbers it seems we can treat it... But chances of survival will drop again if all hell breaks loose, unless they somehow miraculously start mass producing treatment in the next few weeks. Were on thin ice right now thats for sure... Whether we make it to the other shore without the ice breaking will become clear in 2 months.
a reply to: Starling

edit on 25-10-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-10-2014 by funkadeliaaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

LoL. Best post in the thread...

top topics

<< 38  39  40    42  43  44 >>

join