It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dallas Hospital Had the Ebola Screening Machine That the Military Is Using in Africa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

The military is using an Ebola screening machine that could have diagnosed the Ebola cases in Texas far faster, but government guidelines prevent hospitals from using it to actually screen for Ebola.

It’s a toaster-sized box called FilmArray, produced by a company called BioFire, a subsidiary of bioMérieux and it’s capable of detecting Ebola with a high degree of confidence — in under an hour.

Wait what?

So I get that this device that may not be in production , but the above excerpt says that there is a device that can detect (with a high degree of confidence) Ebola in less time than Duncan probably had to sit in the waiting room for!

This could be used prior to boarding a flight and man many problems would be stopped before then began.

Why the F have they not been using this?

But unless hospitals agree to use the machine specifically for research purposes, rather than actually diagnosing patients with Ebola, they can’t look for Ebola in samples, which they did not. These are so called research use only machines.

The FDA rules in what are called “research use only” machines are far more lax than for machines that must provide clinical diagnosis.

Pencil pushers and paper shufflers are going to help kill us before common sense ever kicks in t a large enough degree to save us.

The FilmArray is also what the medical team at Emory used it (RUO) to diagnose the first two Ebola U.S. patients, Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol. In a recent paper, published in the journal Lab Medicine.

Wait what?

If it is not allowed t be used for anything other than 'research' then why was it used as is mentioned above?

I suppse you could say that Brantly and Writebol do fall under 'research' as they have received experimental treatments.

I say get this thing in use RIGHT NOW!

Source

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
If Ebola is stopped in Africa then the base building agenda would be stopped, I'm sure you have heard the rumor that Obama is going to sign an exc order to allow the people from the three African nation's to be brought to America to be treated.

Do you suppose they will ever go back to Africa... why would they ???

"never let a good crisis go to waste"... this has NOTHING to do with protecting the American people or the troops now in Africa, wait tell they start coming down with Ebola.
edit on 18-10-2014 by Battleline because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I agree with you- it should be in use, but there is far more money to be made if we let things progress to a more catastrophic level.

I wonder how much Big Pharma has spent on lobbying this year, and donated to campaign funds for the upcoming elections. Following the money is a good way to find out what is really going on, and where it will lead.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Here's the official link:

biofiredefense.com...

It has to be approved by the FDA before it can be used for civilan healthcare. And that can only be achieved through trial studies, which are near enough impossible because there aren't that many patients with Ebola, Anthrax or Bubonic plague.

So it can only be used by the military, where something is better than nothing.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
So what's the infected count? still 3 people? no new confirmed cases??
how can we justify our paranoia then?
can someone give me the latest factual news? not projections of "in a month there can be 300 people infected"
what is the current known count?

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

It could be useful in some situations and a nightmare in others.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Yeah, I got that much from the article...thems the roolz thay says it can't be used, so used it isnt.

a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

3 confirmed cases in the states that were not people deliberately brought over while they were known to be infected; I think we have brought over five of this category in total: Brantley, Writebol, Sacra, the NBC camerman, and an unknown anonymous patient.

World wide:

9216 reported cases
4555 reported deaths

Which all didn't pop up at one time simultaneously, the (vastly underestimated) over nine thousand infected people all started with ONE two year old:

According to the initial epidemiologic investigation, the suspected first case of the outbreak was a 2-year-old child who died in Meliandou in Guéckédou prefecture on December 6, 2013 (Figure 2).

Research exponential growth, and when you digest that, you will understand how much a danger even these three confirmed cases are.
edit on 18-10-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: typos, hate this tiny phone keyboard

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Those detection devices must have specific programming to be used for Ebola.

The device was not set up for ebola because they were using it to find other diseases.

If they use it for Ebola then they can't use it for others because ebola is a class 4 disease.

The hospital would not have had the software and ability to use it to detect ebola.
Getting specialized medical equipment upgraded can take a long time.
It's not like downloading an app to an I-phone.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Now being South African,idk what the protocols are for this device -if the results are only "legit" if used in-country-but if they can ship over thousands of your troops-why not sent one or two of these devices and test them inm the field? Or does that make too much sense?

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Oh there's a boatload of cases in West Africa-where they're sending troops+national guard as well,apparently.I'm sure one or two servicemen would'nt mind keeping the devices on their laps for the duration of the flight to WA.Really,an ape could figure this out-unless said ape could'nt give a #.a reply to: stormcell

edit on 18-10-2014 by Raxoxane because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: badgerprints

Yeah, I guess you're right.

I mean there is absolutely, positively no way we could have forseen the need for more reliable, quicker testing for an extremely dangerous pathogen in any kind of time frame which would allow them to recalibrate the machine, is there?

a reply to: Raxoxane

They are using them in the field.

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: jadedANDcynical
a reply to: badgerprints

Yeah, I guess you're right.

I mean there is absolutely, positively no way we could have forseen the need for more reliable, quicker testing for an extremely dangerous pathogen in any kind of time frame which would allow them to recalibrate the machine, is there?

a reply to: Raxoxane

They are using them in the field.

OK,
Go to your bathroom and get the automatic electronic defibrillator that you keep just in case you have a heart attack.
Check the manufacture date and serial number....
what's that, don't have one?

600,000 people die of heart disease every year.
Why aren't you prepared? Don't you care about your family?

( Of course I know you care about your family. I'm just being sarcastic to illustrate the point.)

There has never been a case of ebola in the US until Thomas Duncan.
Zero, nada,none.
So why spend a lot of money for a high priced, dedicated device you would never have expected to need?

Those devices cannot be used for normal diseases once they have been used for a class 4 pathogen.
They cost a lot of money.
No hospital is going to spend that kind of cash to test for a rare virus that has only existed in isolated places on the other side of the planet.

No hospital has an unlimited budget.

edit on 18-10-2014 by badgerprints because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   
In Africa perhaps patients wait so long that by the time they are taken into the clinics there is no doubt that they are infected. These machines will be good but getting education to the masses and fear reduction is the fist line of defense.

new topics

top topics

join