It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Persistant water on mars

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
this really should not be my first thread, but this maybe of interest to some of you

the first picture

something I found to be interesting from sol 765 noticing the organic looking trails in the feta gathered from recent drilling operations of curiosity. this lead to the ongoing discussion on the Curiosity: Potential Anomalies (Update 01/2014)

could this be persistent water on curiosity?

close up

a gif comprised of the two photos taken, same framing only with an interval of roughly seven minuets,

files.abovetopsecret.com...

two of the many moving substances Blueshift pointed out

link to Nasa's raw's

so,. paradigm shifting ? of what we know of Mars's inhospitable environment to the sustainability of liquid water on its surface, does this suggest that for at least seven minuets we had liquid water on curiosity? do the long trails suggest an even longer period

is this even water? bugs? or something less exotic?

analysis most welcome

funbox

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
That rover sure is dusty, don't see any water.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

indeed , curiosity's been busy taking samples, martian surface all over the place, yet with curious trails of varying sizes, some of the trails have odd looking shapes at the end , theres a link in the post where you can see the alternating gif in full screen ... have a zoom if ya like , quite permissible with such a close up shot

funbox

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: funbox

I'd guess Martian teenagers with keys ...

However, a dew drop blown through dust might just be the cause of those trails, too.

And a fine first thread... so far...

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
On the anomalies thread this has been called possibly the first evidence of running/moving water on Mars, discovered here at ATS. A big deal, if this pans out. Cool (literally).

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Baddogma

chaotic hormone driven vandalism, always a good reason

indeed as ArMaP hypothesizes in the curiosity thread condensing due rolling drunkenly around gathering dust, I wish we had the facts of the circumstances the picture was taken under, the rover moving , any machinery operating etc,

unfortunately as far as I can gather we don't, so their propulsion is still a bit of a mystery.

cheers , it was meant to be on Fort but that is gathering dust atm

funbox

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   
It does snow on Mars, but we're talking frozen flakes of carbon dioxide. Could be that I guess?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

have you spotted a snowman at the end of one of the trails ? if so , an early merry Christmas to you

funbox

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
That rover sure is dusty, don't see any water.

If you referre this thing to be the top of the rover and it somehow collected moisture and the moisture ran down in places on the rover then evaporated. How do you know if it wasn't wind and dust blew across that way, hence the movements you have on pics. By the picture i cannot tell if it is anything that resembles the rover unles i see a picture that has it on mars and i can see the rover and the horizon. Looks like to me it is a model of something put together with wood,bolts and pvc pipe you can buy at home depot. I call HOAX.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Interesting. Dusty and windy.

If you look at that full size flipping gif you have linked and at the center (the part that looks like a ping pong paddle - I dont know how else to describe it)... You can see a clump of dirt disappear, and if you look closely you can see streaks left behind (the move towards the top of the image).

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I don't get it funbox...

Aren't you pointing to something on the rover ? If it is some king of liquid...could it be some kinda leekage from the rover ? Some cooling liquid or something ?

how would running water get on the rover, unless it was raining or something ?

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Gully

very much so,

if we knew the circumstances of that time frame we could eliminate certain aspects, like vibrations from the curiosity's tools. as for the wind, unless there was a dust devil passing, the wind is said to only lift micron sized particles, and if they are stones or large grit their movement could be attributed to internal vibration/movement of curiosity itself.

those trail look to me like a viscosity has been in contact with them, vibratory patterns on dry surface contact would look different I think

funbox

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

cooling fluids I suggested initially on the thread, it was suggested that cooling fluids would be a contaminant of samples taken

if its water it kinda perplexes me that it exists at all in that direct sunlight, given what we know , or is thought to be know about the martian atmos, and lack of magnetosphere

in that sunlight

water I imagine would fry faster than bacon in a tea spoon shack, not really have time to hang about making trails in the sand

funbox

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: funbox
a reply to: Gully

very much so,

if we knew the circumstances of that time frame we could eliminate certain aspects, like vibrations from the curiosity's tools. as for the wind, unless there was a dust devil passing, the wind is said to only lift micron sized particles, and if they are stones or large grit their movement could be attributed to internal vibration/movement of curiosity itself.

those trail look to me like a viscosity has been in contact with them, vibratory patterns on dry surface contact would look different I think

funbox

Sounds logical.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
About as persistent as my sex life !
More bs !

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gully

If you look at that full size flipping gif you have linked and at the center (the part that looks like a ping pong paddle - I dont know how else to describe it)... You can see a clump of dirt disappear, and if you look closely you can see streaks left behind (the move towards the top of the image).

yes , this was one of those disappearing tricks Blueshift illustrated

curious shape to it

here is his illustration from the curiosity thread

funbox

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: funbox

yes , this was one of those disappearing tricks Blueshift illustrated

curious shape to it

here is his illustration from the curiosity thread

funbox

Gravity. And as the rover is moving around those objects are rolling around in the dust causing the streaks.

I dunno, it's an interesting mystery.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The fact that this has appeared on the metal of Curiosity, and not on a rock, should be taken into account by ATS'ers, professionals who somehow find out about this thread and discovery, and youtube thieves who rip off ATS without credit (and their name is Legion, or Joe or something) and then play bad music while showing it off to the world. Metal would likely interact with the Martian atmosphere differently than a rock face would, and the keen eyes of funbox and blueshift caught this interaction.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Gravity. And as the rover is moving around those objects are rolling around in the dust causing the streaks.

Possibly. Although there's no indication that the rover is actually moving between images. The sunlight shifts, but that might not be a result of the rover moving. It has been sitting in the same spot for several Sols.

I dunno, it's an interesting mystery.

I wonder if the dust is actually keeping the water in a liquid form. Providing some kind of insulation against evaporation, perhaps.

posted on Oct, 7 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
there is a dew on Mars, perhaps because of the dust, the dew found it's own natural path downward, the lines are now the beaten track of the water, the dust builds up each side of the channel, the channels become more pronounced.
Richard Hoover spoke about liquid water on Mars too, in fact his words were, "I know there is liquid water on Mars".

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join