It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Realistic Afterlife

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I am constantly told that I cannot possibly know what happens to us after death. And, in accordance with my contrarian nature, I am prone to claim the exact opposite: that yes I do know with sufficient accuracy what happens to us after death, and I am able to supply vast amounts of data, without feeling the need to describe the process of organic decomposition. We, like every living being, decompose after we die. Even so—and even in the face of such overwhelming evidence—the contradiction of an afterlife continues to plague those still afraid of the dark.

The transmigration of souls, heaven, purgatory and even the void—these ideas are mercilessly morbid, the tales and notions of guilt-ridden necromancers caught under the spell of their own fears and cultural biases, who seek only to clutch deathlessly to their own existence where they are unable to clutch no more, and all under the guidance of rhetoricians indoctrinated amidst the drunken Orphism of iron-age men. No amount of conjecture or anecdote has ever given us any realistic reason to believe them, but boy do we have plenty of tales and promises to keep these grim-herders looking in the opposite direction of the evidence.

We are often told of a near-death experiences as irrefutable proof of the afterlife and disembodied souls, complete with harrowing tales of travels across vast landscapes while they ironically lie motionless and unconscious on an operating table, imploring us to believe the contradiction that they were in fact somewhere else the entire time, rather than in the confusing, mind-altering and functionally-depraved death throes of a dying body. It is painstakingly obvious that these experiences are delusional, the product of a dying organism, with no actual record of the patient ever having left the hospital. What’s more, the tales of what occurs in these dreams resemble the religions of their culture, complete with specific deities unique to different religions, i.e. a Christian does not see Vishnu and a Hindu does not see Christ, showing that there is either many types of afterlives, or perhaps, that it is merely their neurobiology, ever formed by their upbringing, affecting the outcome as it might a dream. Even stranger, while their soul is away from their body, they can still feel pleasure, peace, and see bright white light (so don’t forget your shades), almost as if something physical—maybe a brain—was producing this effect. The sort of testimony is akin to asking someone who was asleep at the time of a crime to be the prime witness. Besides, a living person describing what only the dead could see is, for lack of a better term, moronic. Let it be known that death is a permanent affair. Near-death does not constitute death. In fact, death is merely a name for the permanent cessation of bodily functions, and surviving death is a contradiction. Only the dead can illustrate what happens after death; and they do, as we’ve been burying them, digging up their bones and dealing with their corpses for millennia.

But alas, perhaps there are some fine granules of truth somewhere among the fodder and fetters of superstitious men. It is reasonable to expect that the same type who would advocate entire mythologies for the purpose of repudiating sensuality and sex, so that they may distance themselves from their fear of the birth canal and the sovereignty of women, might do the exact same to other natural phenomena such as death; but perhaps in this case the irrationality of their fears are not so irrational, and only their reasoning is.

I suspect it would be nice, in a plebeian sort of way, to believe there is punishment and reward to be received upon death. However, this implies our existence is merely a means to an end, where that end could only ever imply…well…an ending. I find this notion somewhat juvenile, as reward and punishment are worldly concepts, relative to worldly people and worldly states of affairs. I would imagine worldly concepts do not apply to otherworldly concerns. Rather, it is the people around us who will be punished or rewarded upon our death.

When someone we love dies we mourn their absence and celebrate their life. This seems pretty straight forward. However, once we step beyond our fathom-lines into the murky waters of superstition, and in doing so, project them (really, ourselves) into some hereafter, we do their time here on Earth and their memory a great injustice. We imagine them in an afterlife for our benefit. We put something of them—not a product of them but a product of our own minds—in an imaginary easy chair in an imaginary place in the sky, and in the process, slander what was once real about them. It is particularly selfish to focus on such trivial ignorances and imaginings surrounding their death, rather than reflect upon what we do know and remember about their life. If they are somewhere in a state of bliss among angels and God and deceased loved ones—wouldn’t that imply their death was a good thing? If things were how we wish they were, and they were out there “in a better place”, shouldn’t we instead be glad that they died? Of course not.

But allow me to go contrary even to my own views, dear reader, for I wouldn’t be much of a contrarian if I didn’t—there is life after death. Life has not ended since it started. It has survived massive extinction level events, and the organic material that makes it up has always persisted. It will continue long after us; and in the cool halcyon light of such freeing information, the after-life becomes what it always has been, namely, a contradiction; and it will only further expose itself as an idea of self-centredness, or what we might aptly call, the after-me-me-me.

I’m sorry but, your thoughts, your personality, your psychology, or whatever fleeting contradiction that you assert leaves you upon death, as if an immaterial substance could be trapped in a material substance, goes to the same place it has always been—absolutely no where.

Then why bother, you ask?

Despite your corporeal disappearance, you will be remembered, you will be judged. Your immortality is in direct proportion to how much you’ve impacted people’s lives. It is not that one actually goes to hell; it is that he is remembered hellishly, to be tormented in the thoughts of the living for as long as he shall be remembered. Likewise, the exact opposite is true. It is our deeds and actions that make us immortal, how we have touched the lives of those around us. How much we pray, how much faith we have, however many times we have sacrificed to our gods doesn’t make a damn difference in this respect. They will make a difference, however, if we make a difference, that is, if they are embodied in works and deeds.

This is how you survive after death, and it is as simple as planting a tree, which will grow sturdy and live long. It’s as simple as an act of kindness, which sits clear as day in the mind of the recipient. It’s as simple as inspiring another by leading by example. It’s as simple as having a positive impact. Give back to the nature we have for so long taken from. Give back to the humanity we have always relied on. Become memorable; become nostalgia; become inspirational; and even if you are to become forgotten, realize that you were the first cause of an effect that forever continues throughout eternity.

Thank you for reading,

LesMis

edit on 18-9-2014 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Whatever model of an afterlife seems likely to an individual, or absence of one, the simplistic matter of fact is that we don't know ...for sure.

However, there is an excess of anecdotal experiences, along with some tangible, yet controversial, evidence, that (mostly) intangible intelligences exist.

Some of these things seem to be (or pose as) deceased individuals. So there is actually more evidence to some form of continuance than there is for an absence of continuity.

Though if I had read your missive years ago and before a few experiences, I'd find little disagreement... but I admittedly skimmed.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I like your writing style.

How did you get to your current level of writing skill? Just lots of practice or do you have a particular habit that is useful in forming the craft?

Just curious.

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: OrphanApology

Thank you for the words.

Live first. You'll find your experience comes out in your writing.

I read a lot. I've even read a few dictionaries. It helps to have a vocabulary. Also study the trivium. It may be boring, but it is essential, and is lacking in todays public education. Not only does it help to learn how to compel with words, but also to defend yourself against them.

The best tips I've been given by pros are to find authors who's prose you really enjoy and start writing word for word what they write so as to form the proper synapses I suppose. Over time you develop a taste for their rhythm while at the same time developing your own. Of course, try it out with many authors so as to not sound like any one of them. Soon enough one understands what makes a good sentence, a good paragraph and so forth. It's like music in a way. Then, venture off on your own to find a voice. Keep a notebook close at hand and write observations. Describe beautifully as possible the most mundane and ugly things. Avoid clichés. Learn the rules so you can break them. And last, just keep writing. I give myself at least an hour a day. Like any art, it will get better.

edit on 18-9-2014 by LesMisanthrope because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

how do you explain NDE from people who have completly died and then suddenly come back after longer than the human brain could possible given a false impression?

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   

You write like an educated person without the experience of life wisdom. Just mathematics. I have experiences of synchronization with a life path that is of to myself gf a destiny of the soul. Carl Jung would understand this. Some are blind and will never feel it, some will read life properly and understand the journey of the soul.

Something in the mist...the sun shining through the trees that make the soul rise. Something beyond the cold hard math that a simple calculator can deduct. Don't be a Texas instrument
, be a man. Lol

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   
What about when everyone who knew you ends up dying, along with any memories of you and your "immortality"?
edit on 9/18/2014 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   

What’s more, the tales of what occurs in these dreams resemble the religions of their culture, complete with specific deities unique to different religions, i.e. a Christian does not see Vishnu and a Hindu does not see Christ, showing that there is either many types of afterlives, or perhaps, that it is merely their neurobiology, ever formed by their upbringing, affecting the outcome as it might a dream.

You speak about NDE'S but can you explain why a Muslim, Hindu, or atheist has an NDE and then experiences Christ in that NDE even though they do not believe in Christ or what about people who have never heard of Christ and have an NDE and meet Christ in their NDE? Can you explain this?

yes I do know with sufficient accuracy what happens to us after death, and I am able to supply vast amounts of data, without feeling the need to describe the process of organic decomposition.

Your data you claim to have, if it is the truth then why is there still debate amongst the world's finest thinkers and scientists that we still do not know what happens after death but you do?

Also how can you explain numerous people who have experienced an NDE and is able to explain what people have said in other rooms or experienced certain acts that doctors or nurses made while they were supposenly dead?

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Except that I've had the altogether odd experience of a visit from my father at the moment of his death 20 miles away; and it was his personality alright, 'bopping' into my head and hanging around for a while alongside my own 'mind'.

Can't explain it but I know it happened, and it throws your certainty of a finality to death out the window.

I think we're all vibration; solids are just vibrating a tiny bit slower; and the mind and body are both vibrating slower than whatever 'it' is that is both us, and separate from what we think of as ourselves.

Given that I also remember the last few days of a prior lifetime, extrapolated out, we're immortal beings.

I don't know if this thrills me, or horrifies me.
edit on 5019129amFridayf19Fri, 19 Sep 2014 00:19:50 -0500America/Chicago by signalfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:20 AM
link   
errr, why was the word 'window' edited out in the above post...? Tried to fix it and again, it was removed. How odd.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I feel as if the majority of the posters above missed the point of this entire thread.

The OP isn't starting an argument with you about the legitimacy of religion or NDE's-- and if that's all you took from this beautifully written piece; I feel sorry for you.

The OP is telling you to live well and take comfort in knowing who you are, how you make people feel, and what you mean to others will be remembered. And even when inevitably that is all forgotten, the impact you have on others will trigger a chain reaction that will go on forever.

I dedicate my first post on ATS to say...

Stop arguing about nothing.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 06:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: notkirk

I dedicate my first post on ATS to say...

Stop arguing about nothing.

Then you're in for a long and bumpy ride.
Welcome aboard.

But yeah, I got that too. The only thing that is known for sure about what happens to YOU after death, is how YOU affected, and will be remembered by, others.

There's your afterlife.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Very well written, and I agree with most of your points.
It was a delight to read.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
We are often told of a near-death experiences ....[snip] ... It is painstakingly obvious that these experiences are delusional, the product of a dying organism, with no actual record of the patient ever having left the hospital.

What about the stories by people who are out of their bodies and who can see things and hear things happening a great distance away? People back from the dead who left their bodies and were standing next to people in a different part of the hospital and they heard conversations and could say exactly what those conversations were? Or people floating on the ceiling out of their body and describing things on top of cabinets in the room that they couldn't possibly see from laying on the stretcher? etc etc.

Realistic afterlife .... no one knows what the afterlife is but I know there is one. I've had too many supernatural encounters with the 'dead' and with the Divine to say otherwise. Realistic afterlife .... the stories by the major religions about being in a body and having food feasts and sex and being married and all that are not realistic. They are just constructs based on this life now. The next life when our souls/energy escape this body will be something we can't imagine.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   

You speak about NDE'S but can you explain why a Muslim, Hindu, or atheist has an NDE and then experiences Christ in that NDE even though they do not believe in Christ or what about people who have never heard of Christ and have an NDE and meet Christ in their NDE? Can you explain this?

What are you grounds for claiming this? You sound very biased by your own faith.
(ps. The OP stated that Muslims, Hindus and atheists do not see Christ when they have a NDE).
Why should I believe you and not him?

Also how can you explain numerous people who have experienced an NDE and is able to explain what people have said in other rooms or experienced certain acts that doctors or nurses made while they were supposenly dead?

To my knowledge no one has ever been able to do this.
Can you please tell me where to find these numerous accounts?
IF this was really possible then every person having a NDE should be able to do this (or am I wrong?).
IF every person having an NDE could do this, then it would be very easy to prove an afterlife by science.. (but this havenøt been done)

edit on 19-9-2014 by CorvusCorax because: none

edit on 19-9-2014 by CorvusCorax because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

This very short sighted view of things is supposed to be realistic? You must be a very stubborn individual to keep such belief in spite of the mass of raw informations available here and there. Seems to me you lost something at some point, to become so dull in your ideas of what life is. I guess there is nothing to be done about it. I would tend to think you wrote this more for you than for others. You are not so different. It may be a different view but like others you take comfort into it. Maybe are you frightened of whats really after and thus you rather think there is nothing. Escapism is common to all as is death. That or any other reason, it doesnt matter. But i understand why you are so fed up with religions. They are confusing on purpose.

Actually no one in the known could give you a satisfying description of the after life even if they wanted. I know it sounds too convenient but who cares? Nobody got the duty to teach you. In fact to discover whats after life is more like a job you can do only by yourself. It is a personal thing that will be felt differently for everyone. Id say the harder is ego dissolution. It is a protection you create to feel better grounded. But dont be mistaken, it is in the way. And the stronger it is, the harder death will be. It is like a bubble that refuse to burst even when the body died but it got no choice so a pressure builds up.

Once back in the energy pool, as one would expect, a certain number of things do happen to your psyche and the you that is still there in spite of your dead flesh zillions of light years back. And thats when the real test starts. Can you stand being just the consciousness you have become or not. Thats what matters. If you cant, you are reabsorbed, sterilized and scattered into the infinite. Akin to a drop of water falling in an ocean. Unless it got the willpower to stay a drop, it will dissolve. Same goes for the you that died. It is really not that hard to get but because it is totally opposite and illogical to what most believe, it will be discarded. You require a certain mindset to get it. It is akin to maturity but different. But it doesnt matter. Whether they are a million or a trillion to share the same belief, the end is always the same unless you got what is needed to go further. Call it a test or whatever although there are no supervisors. It is not good or bad, it is not limited to anything you can imagine, it just is. You dont like it? It doesnt care, it still happens nonetheless. Funny but it is like birth in the material world. You got no clue of anything, you are weak, you got no choice in the matter, yes it has many similiraties.

But if you cant switch of perspectives easily, if you cant for example, imagine what its like to be a fish or an eagle or an ant, and im sure you cant, then you have even less chances to imagine how the after life is. When your perspectives change radically, wanted or unwanted, you got no choice but to adapt. If you cant, dissolution happens. You might say that most people's consciousness will be erased when they die, it is as true as true can be. Going out of the matrix have a price. Free will is not just about good things, although "good" is totally subjective.

No seriously many people have a hard time to understand the normal world they live in. And you expect them to be able to fathom something they never felt, perceived nor imagined? And reduce it to a few limited words such as "heaven or hell, good or bad, karma, love and evil"? It is excruciatingly funny, you know? Akin to a farmer that would rewrite quantum physics in his own words and comprehensions of the world and try to teach it to quantum physicists, and how pretty inaccurate and messy would that be? Nothing is ever like you think it is.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Well, its like you said. Only the dead know what happens. Are you dead? The only way to be a true contrarian in this case would be to cause your own death, so that you can know what does indeed happen.

I have read cases where the person laying on the operating tale has their spirit float upward and later they described items which were on top of cabinets that the doctors had to use a step ladder or footstool to confirm. Maybe this could just be called an out of body experience, like those that happen to those who are not near death, only this one is caused by being near death, and the experiences where they see their preferred diety, are something different.

By the way, unbelievers have also seen dieties and hell and heaven and they usually converted after they came back. Of course, there is always a chance that these stories are propaganda spread by unscrupulous religious organizations. I guess for me, more research would need to be done to better explain it, but I'm not too worried about it because a better explanation is still not a perfect one. We will never truly know until our day comes. Even then, will we see the whole picture from our given perspective? I do not know.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

What about the stories by people who are out of their bodies and who can see things and hear things happening a great distance away? People back from the dead who left their bodies and were standing next to people in a different part of the hospital and they heard conversations and could say exactly what those conversations were? Or people floating on the ceiling out of their body and describing things on top of cabinets in the room that they couldn't possibly see from laying on the stretcher? etc etc.

Stories are stories. I am aware of a study (the AWARE study) of this phenomena that is currently under peer review. The results should be out soon, and we will be able to better determine the veracity of the stories with more data.

Realistic afterlife .... no one knows what the afterlife is but I know there is one. I've had too many supernatural encounters with the 'dead' and with the Divine to say otherwise.

I do not doubt your experiences, but it is possible you may have been experiencing your own psychology. If I am to weigh the likelihood between you seeing the dead and the “divine” (not sure what that means in your context) and you not really seeing any such thing, I would say the latter holds more weight. That is only an opinion. I do not think experiencing these things while living logically follows to any sort conclusions about an afterlife, however.

posted on Sep, 19 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   
a reply to: _damon

This very short sighted view of things is supposed to be realistic? You must be a very stubborn individual to keep such belief in spite of the mass of raw informations available here and there. Seems to me you lost something at some point, to become so dull in your ideas of what life is. I guess there is nothing to be done about it. I would tend to think you wrote this more for you than for others. You are not so different. It may be a different view but like others you take comfort into it. Maybe are you frightened of whats really after and thus you rather think there is nothing. Escapism is common to all as is death. That or any other reason, it doesnt matter. But i understand why you are so fed up with religions. They are confusing on purpose.

Where is this “mass of raw informations”? And is my view shortsighted because it does not include your shortsighted views?

<<   2  3  4 >>

join