It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ray Rice is really, right now, getting adequate punishment. But banned for life....No I don't thin

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Yes, It is a real shame that cameras and society help out men who hit women or abuse children, or rob stores. Damn technology.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel
My comment wasn't meant to be interpreted as "what happens in an elevator, stays in an elevator." Surveillance captures crimes and a world of hurt. (I can only imagine what goes on when cams aren't around. No--I don't want to imagine it. I myself have been the victim of domestic violence, and any type sickens me. When disgusting, stomach-churning public tapes are leaked/sold to the Media, it is served up like candy in a movie theatre.
That may not be abusive, but I find it offensive.

edit on 10-9-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
So, where can I read that he's been banned for life? Link please!

I remember watching the video of him punching her in the elevator when the news broke, how is it the NFL never saw it? Blind eye and all that?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Playing in the NFL is a priveledge, not a right. If John Q. Public assaulted someone like that, we'd be thrown in jail and probably lose our 9-5 job to boot. Maybe we'll see Ray Rice as a cook in Denny's. Buh-bye, Ray.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

His casual response after having knocked her out and dragged her limp body from the elevator tells me that he was unfazed by his own violence on the woman he supposedly loved and was maybe even used to it. The fact that she married this guy just a few weeks later makes me wonder why? The $500 million paycheck ?? They both have issues.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan
Well said.
Also, in the video, his body language was horrifying, fraught with implications of worse behavior behind closed doors.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: drwill

Turning her around and placing her head in the elevator doorway with the doors about to close was a nice touch.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
Its pretty telling that a player will get a year suspension for smoking some weed but only a couple of games for beating your wife/gf..go NFL.

NFL: Pop a molly get 6 game suspension.
Beat Molly get two game suspension.
Glad they are making changes to this as we speak.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel
It was also very shocking how he snatched up her shoe.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Whatever debt he owed to 'society' has apparently been reconciled. Whatever the corporate interests who fund his multimillion dollar contract want to do is between him and them. She's been okay with it. The NFL has a gazillion dollar image to protect. Let them fight it out.

Personally I have more concern about the welfare of the stray dogs here locally than I do about Ray Rice.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: UnBreakable

He was arrested and charged with assault. Then, just like any John Q. Public, was released shortly thereafter as he was a first-time offender.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
It's official..I'm a flip-flopper.

I now think he should *not* be banned for life.

It's been nagging at me and then it occurred to me...(because she stayed with him)...

Few people should be judged solely by either the best moment or the worst moment of their lives. Some people, sure.

But the victim in this case finds something redeeming about him. What he did is abhorrent and I would personally never stay..but I'm not her and I don't know him.

Also, I don't like making this couple a proxy for all of the ills in society or
pro-sports. Depriving him and his family of an income in the only thing he is trained to do, play football is not conducive to rehabilitating him or supportive to his family.

a really trained ti do is not conducive of supporting /rehabilitating him or
edit on 9/10/2014 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

I respectfully disagree, and I'm putting forth my comment in the spirit of discussion.
No, we don't know this couple, but we know the archetypes. And was this really the worst day of his life? Her life? It's facile (not of you--but me, as I am referring to my own muddled feelings) to think that this was the first time this couple went down that road. In the video, when Rice delivered the knock out punch, his blasé behavior was indicative of someone who'd hurt a woman before, so many times that the sight of an unconscious girlfriend didn't prompt him to at least check her pulse. It is my understanding that if a person is knocked out, that person has, medically speaking, had (at the least) a concussion. Was Rice so sure that she hadn't nicked an artery? That his blow (blows?) wasn't/weren't catastrophic? That her pupils weren't "blown"?
I was just thinking...Rice is a football player. He should be familiar with the outcome of too many head injuries (though being an athlete does not confer medical knowledge). There was no audio on the film, but the woman wasn't moving. Yet he dragged her out of the elevator, as if she were a Hefty bag. It is his cold behavior, his air of being inconvenienced--and more, all of which is baldly visible on the film--that is chilling. Here is a star athlete, someone that youngsters look up to. Taking away his contract and income probably won't turn him into a person who can manage his anger. One can hope, though. Sometimes a career busting moment can be an awakening.
IMHO, of course.
edit on 10-9-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2014 by drwill because: Need More Coffee pronto

edit on 10-9-2014 by drwill because: can't spell, either

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

I can't disagree with any of that.

But what of victimizing his wife again, even inadvertently?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Do you mean after this incident?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Yes..the stressors of their situation will not be made better by voyeuristic scrutiny and loss of income.

Even now, anti-domestic violence organizations are cautioning against hasty action in these situations as it more likely puts victims in more danger.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I agree. Yesterday, as CNN played clips of the couple at a news conference (and a commentator pointed out that Rice thanked everyone but his wife), I wondered if the Media would, in a few months, report that one of the Rices has filed for divorce. I would guess that the stress levels in their lives must be pretty high at the moment.

As an aside...once, I asked a therapist--a very good one--if she truly thought that people can truly change, and she said, "I do. Otherwise I would not stay in this profession."

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   

And people change for only two reasons....they actually learn a more healthy and productive behavior..OR..they are so inconvenienced or uncomfortable that they are forced to change. I guess we aren't privy to that thought process for Ray Rice - yet. But his wife maybe be.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I don't believe he was ever banned for life, no one has provided the link I asked for earlier. Perhaps some folks think that indefinite means for life? Dunno, but, he'll likely be back next year.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   
So true!

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join