It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ray Rice is really, right now, getting adequate punishment. But banned for life....No I don't thin

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Look, I have been a victim of domestic abuse. So I want to qualify my post. It is horrible and there are many woman that have it way worse than I ever did. I wasn't a recipient of regular abuse but I have taken a few blows in my day. It is disgusting and I hate it and the men that perpetrate violence upon women.

However, to ban him from the NFL forever is not a punishment that is commensurate with the offense.

Look, the Eagles took back Vick with open arms and to me his crimes were much worse. That is just my opinion.

I have always had a respect for Ray Rice. I am a big football fan.

I think Goodell got in front of this story 10 days before the video was leaked and that is why he came out with the new domestic abuse policy for the league. Trust and believe.

Ray needs therapy, he needs to rise up, perhaps start a foundation for abused women or something like that to atone.

But to ruin a 27 year olds life for a mistake, (and a truly huge mistake) is not a fair punishment.

+26 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: GrantedBail
But to ruin a 27 year olds life for a mistake, (and a truly huge mistake) is not a fair punishment.

A mistake is unintentionally spelling someone's name wrong. Blasting your fiancé on the jaw is a violent felony and is certainly not a mistake.

+18 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
A basketball owner banned for life and lost a team over speech.

If that's OK, physical violence should get the same.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
a reply to: GrantedBail

His life's not ruined. It's just on another path.

I'm a real fan of equal opportunity. I don't judge some dude harshly because he hit a woman. The fact is, he whacked someone who's a lot smaller in stature ... and that's crossing a line.

I hope he's able to find another opportunity outside of the venue of professional sports. I'm sure 'the team' will have no problem moving someone into his slot on the roster.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   
He is simply being made an example of to try and prevent future incidents like this. Not saying what Vick did was right, or moral, but in his defense he was raised with and around dog fighting, as it is/was extremely popular in the south. It literally was a cultural thing for him growing up there.

link   
If a person is in a position to make millions of dollars a year carrying a football for a few minutes on Sunday then not physically abusing people out in the world isn't much to ask of that person.

link   
I'm glad they came down hard on him. Perhaps banned for life is too much. Banned for a whole season would be good. I'm okay with it either way. Especially with Ray Rice. He's rich, has connections and friends in high places. His life's not ruined if he can't play football. He'll be okay. No excuse to ever hit a woman like that for any man, let alone someone as big and strong and powerful as Ray Rice. He could have killed her or given her some kind of permanent injury.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Ha ha. I already have a waiver claim in on my fantasy team to pick up his back up but....... I digress.

Hopefully, that is not regular conduct and was something that was perhaps alcohol induced. Doesn't take away from the severity of the offense. I am not saying it is not atrocious, it is. But come on. People mess up. Do we punish them for life?

He could do the community a service if he went all in on a domestic abuse non=profit. If he truly reformed.

a reply to: Snarl

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
A thing to remember in all this is that his fiance is now his wife. AKA she still married him. It'll be interesting to see what happens now that he isn't getting a cheque for $450,000 per game.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Not saying he should have been clobbing the woman, but it was mutual combat. She smacked him in the face outside the elevator. Being that this man already seems immature and hot tempered, he gets in her face, and starts spouting off. She shoves him away, he shoves her back, she charges forward to return fire, he knocks her out. Mutual combat.

That said, i think sports and athletes get too much attention and money. It is too big a part of culture in this country. People's whole lives are defined by there teams. Nonsense. I don't care either way.

The chich did marry him anyway, though. Sooo... I guess she's okay.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   

I think his actions were reprehensible.

However, I think the actions of the news networks are also reprehensible. They sit in judgement and speak with such self righteousness that it is turning my stomach. Do you seriously mean to tell me that with all the crap going on in the world that this slime deserves hours of programming and exposure on the news networks?

Whatever happened to just reporting the news instead of being part of it? Clearly the networks have inserted themselves into the process to a degree that makes me want to puke.

After seeing the video I understand him being "fired" and I can say that I feel that the same standard should be applied to other punk-cons in pro sports. Why is Vick playing? There are numerous other cases of spousal abuse as well, but none of them are being "fired".

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   

There are numerous other cases of spousal abuse as well, but none of them are being "fired".

There are 2 under review at this time, if I am not mistaken.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: GrantedBail
Do we punish them for life?

The NFL is a corporation with a pronounced public image. If you worked for an NBC affiliate in Cincinnati and you clocked your fiancé do you think that after that location fired you that you could go and apply to another affiliate?

He screwed up big time and he may have to make a career change. He is lucky he does not have a conviction record to go along with his termination notice.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Playing in the NFL is a PRIVILEGE, and I believe if you do ANYTHING to tarnish their image, you have no place in it. He is far from being short changed or having his life be over, remember ALL of these players walk out of college with something a lot of people do not have, a college degree. As far as I am concerned, ANY player that does anything to tarnish the NFL's multi billion dollar image, should never be allowed to play again, but that will never happen. The NFL is full of guys like Rice, and these guys are supposed to be role models to kids.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
One aspect that maybe is not being thought about is the fact that the victim is being victimized again. She married him, so we are taking away the ability for her husband to support her.

link   
a reply to: bigman88

That said, i think sports and athletes get too much attention and money. It is too big a part of culture in this country. People's whole lives are defined by there teams. Nonsense. I don't care either way.

Exactly! I began to boycott pro sports (with the exception of Hockey, which I became a fan of a few years ago) around the turn of the millennia. We encourage "star" syndrome whereby questionable people of questionable ethics are paid outrageous amounts to play a game. Ridiculous.

We complain about how much CEO's make, but are seemingly fine with a baseball player signing a contract for 215 million bucks. Ridiculous! I will not support such nonsense... unless it is hockey. Then it's ok. lol

Seriously... college sports are also ridiculous. Institutions of higher learning are, instead, minor league farm teams for the pros. Too much emphasis on sports and not enough on what is SUPPOSED to be the purpose of universities.

link   

He can go to Hell. He ruined his life, and at first the NFL and prosecutors were just gonna slap him on the wrist, but then this all went public.

Screw Rice. Screw the NFL and the authorities involved.

Disturbing Footage Of Ray Rice Knocking Then-Fiancé Unconscious Released

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

come on. People mess up. Do we punish them for life?

Judging people is hard. I know I'm poorly qualified to do that.

Judging someone's actions is another matter entirely. You can see reasons for mitigation, and I respect that. I Know it's hard to change someone's character. Rice has a problem there and my inability to judge would cut him with the other edge of the blade.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
One aspect that maybe is not being thought about is the fact that the victim is being victimized again. She married him, so we are taking away the ability for her husband to support her.

So the only job he can do is carry a football? If that is the case, he can probably get welfare.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
She married him, so we are taking away the ability for her husband to support her.

So he is not capable of doing anything but hit women or run with a ball...

He should go to school and get a education.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join