It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I wish I was around with the hippy dudes and dudettes :(. Tell me what it was like.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74
Actually, I remember a fair amount. With a few gaps, that is.

In St.Louis, where I grew up, there was a hill in forest park, we called "Hippee Hill". The hippees, and the "flower children" used to gather their frequently. I always thought it was interesting to watch them. I was a bit young to join them in the mid to late 60's, but I sat on that hill in the 70's, and joined in the latent festivities. Unbeknownst to my parents, that is.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I was born in 1962, so I grew up in the 70's. The era of Rock and Roll, and some of the older tunes from the 60's. It was a great time to grow up in. Well ,let me Re-Word that. It was a great time I was SUPPOSED to be growing up in. I haven't grown up yet! LOL!!!
Saw something on a business sign last month that said, " Don't Grow Up! It's a Trap!!" LOL!! Loved that!!! LOL!!!
Anyway, here's a good one from the time period;

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Well you cant have a list of hippie songs and not have any Grateful Dead.

And my favorite dead song.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

But why did the Hippy Era ended? Did Ronnie Raygun stopped them? I remember reading that in the UK some of the reasons why the party stop was because of Lady Thatcher when she declared the party over.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
It was wonderful...
Grad school at Berkeley 69/70

Listening to this....

www.youtube.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: SyxPak

So true

I have always had a motto.
"The day you lose your childhood is the day you get old" so I play like a kid sometimes and just enjoy fun.
I don't think I will ever "grow up".

This song always makes me feel like a kid I dunnjo why...just wonderment and optimism

Right cheered me up this thread has cheers all
edit on 9-9-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
That time wasn't all rainbows and lollypops. I hate Tom Cruise but Born on the 4th of July will show you what the 60's were like. It isn't pretty.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Yup I bet it wasn't but some great tunes came in form of protest came from it.
Pity how the vets were treated.

link   
A timeless classic. We have all heard it a million times but I still turn it up when it comes on the radio.

One we still listen to every Thanksgiving.

link   

originally posted by: intrepid
That time wasn't all rainbows and lollypops. I hate Tom Cruise but Born on the 4th of July will show you what the 60's were like. It isn't pretty.

"What a drag, man."

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Interesting. Those happen to be 2 of my favorites. Are you channeling me?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I channel all for I am the one.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Now when I was a kid I had this and it made me cry..I remember crayoning all over the cover.

Still brings a tiny tear to me eyes.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Here ya go, OP. One of the quintessential anti-war songs of the era...

This one too...

edit on 9/9/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

I used to play drums to war pigs when I was about 7
Then my Dad got into Phil collins and made me drum to that so I gave up lol.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Check out a movie called "Medium Cool".

You'd dig "More American Graffiti" as well.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Good thread Boy Monkey, it brings back many memories. Yes we still do remember them, some anyways. LOL I'm surprised no one listed this one, but it was definitely part of the time.

Thanks for the memories.

SnF

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal
a reply to: rickymouse

But why did the Hippy Era ended? Did Ronnie Raygun stopped them? I remember reading that in the UK some of the reasons why the party stop was because of Lady Thatcher when she declared the party over.

They were a threat to consumerism, they didn't buy new cars or things they did not need. If everyone was like that, nobody could get rich off of others.

I even knew that in the seventies, they told us that in Econ in high school. I'm not sure if the teacher was for or against this though. He barely mentioned it in his teaching. He was not a hippy, but knew why society looked down on them. Think about your job or your parents job if you are young. What if nobody needed the services that they provide.?
edit on 9-9-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
In the end the hippies were played by the system just as much as everybody else. Nothing truly changed, just rebellion in a different, commercialized form. It awakened people to what our ancestors were doing but other than that, hippie is a fashion. Created to oppress under the guise of awakening.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join