It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I wish I was around with the hippy dudes and dudettes :(. Tell me what it was like.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
a reply to: boymonkey74

If you want to know what it's like all you have to do is not shower for days maybe weeks, splash your body with patchouli oil and do nothing.

I almost forgot the most important part, quit your job and then bitch about the system and the man holding you back.

You forgot something. Stage protests because you don't want to die in a war with a nation that never attacked America. So the government staged a false flag to get us into that war.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The Hippy Era.. well firstly it smelled funny. I was a younger kid and the hippie thing didnt appeal to me as I am more of the war monger type of personality.
We were at my grandmothers house and my cousin, the hippy, walked in. Smelled like pits and ass. I swear his clothes hadnt been changed in a moth maybe. They were greasy gross. He dared to lay on her couch. Hippies did a lot of laying aroun too. Anyway, she said for him to get his ass up and take a shower. His response: he spends a lot of time outdoors and didnt want to wash his protective body oils off.

I dont think Ill EVER forget that.

Yep... hippies sure werent what hollywood made them seem to be for those who werent there and it smelled a lot worse than now. LMAO!!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I remember it clearly. If you didn't have a job, you didn't cut your hair, male or female.

I had dresses so short that matching panties were sold with the dresses. My jeans were always raggedy at the bottom and always too long. We tie dyed our own t-shirts. Looking like you never showered was in. Pot smoking was in. Streaking was in. "Free love" was more than a slogan it was a lifestyle. Like the song said, sex, drugs, rock n roll. That was the late 60's and early 70's.

I have no idea how I made it through the early college years with great grades, a miracle I guess. And a miracle I survived it all being in late high school and early college.

Surprisingly though my politics stayed conservative, I was a social liberal but a political conservative. I regularly fought over politics with my La Raza communist boyfriend, that's a major reason we never married. I'm still fairly liberal in the social arena, and quite conservative in the political arena, haven't changed much there.

Actually flustered Jane Fonda at an anti-war rally so bad that her husband ushered her off the stage saying she had to rest because she was pregnant. She couldn't answer my politically conservative challenges. True story!!!

I had a VW beetle, wished I never sold it, no A/C and hot as he.. in summer and in winter froze while my toes burned - great car!

I wasn't into hard rock and roll, loved Bette Midler, went to her concerts with my gay friends all dressed up.

The times were fun, exhilarating, dangerous, and barely survivable with your brains in tact.

Gotta say Alice's Restaurant (see page 2 of thread) was my favorite album.
Loved Delta Dawn and Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy by Bette Midler.

edit on 3Tue, 09 Sep 2014 15:42:43 -0500pm90909pmk092 by grandmakdw because: addition

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I was a child of the 60's ,i can remember how brightly colored everyone was back then and how happy people were then you grow up and read about Laurel Canyon and tavistock

educate-yourself.org...
xavianthaze.blogspot.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Get the Woodstock album (and movie? Did they make it into a movie?) and this: www.imdb.com...

In a lot of ways, Tribes captured it all.

I actually saw a few guys get beat up once because they had long hair, and a couple straights on the bus I was on apparently got turned on by the long hair from behind thinking they were women, and then got off and beat up the two hippies because they had the nerve to make the straight guys get attracted to two other men... (!) That kind of thing actually happened a lot. Given the way the hair looked, it was like beating up Jesus. Pretty much soured me forever on hypocritical religious types.

The hippies are still around, like mentioned above, you can find them in the farmer's markets; here in southern Oregon, there's a group that was pictured in Time magazine way back then; they're still living on the same farms they bought for $10 an acre back in 1970 and they're still growing the same things for money
Some of them own whole mountains.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I thought I was a modern hippy until I met some of the 'modern hippies' coming through here on their way to-and-from Burning Man festival. I dropped that nostalgic notion pretty quick. If the hippies of yore were anything like the hippies of today, give me my polo shirts and golf clubs and deodorants thank you.

Some of 'em just need to grow the hell up right quick.

I do love the music though. Never giving up my tunes.

edit on 9-9-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

It was a manufactured scene.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

It was a manufactured scene.

Yes it does seem strange that everyone all headed to LC and were military brat's most people were out of it and not to bothered about war's and other thing's going on about the planet

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It was and still is a far out experience man. Groovy baby.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Agreed. I'm a fan of the Grateful Dead and other music from that time but true rebellion would not be commercialized. If you ask me they were hired, served their purpose well.

The Hippies went back to the system after they realized real change requires effort.

Duped, kept in line with CIA-supplied drugs, all attention diverted away from the oppressors.

My mom was a teen when the hippies arrived. She admitted the ponchos, Donovan and incense were nice but years later she figured out it was another cash cow.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Can't we just talk about the experience "they" had and not any conspiracies etc.
Make your own thread.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

So you were not a hippy...
Next....

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
All I want is some good ole tales and tunes from the dudes and dudettes who called themselves hippies.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Can't talk about hippies without including Hendrix.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Hey sweetpea welcome to the thread and I agree I am surprised it took so long.
Funny with him he had to come over to theUK to get noticed.
We got good taste

Iam drunk and listening to this...now! lol.
Had a bad night

Had bad news

You lot cheer me up

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: 2manyholes

# me I love that tune and never knew who it was.
Iam pissed and rocking to that !!.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
We all danced around Central Park singing "The Age of Aquarius. ". Grew our hair long and took trips on '___'.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Howdy Buster post tour fave hippy track man!!.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
a reply to: AutumnWitch657

Pics!!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Man it would be really cool If some of you cool dudes posted a few pics of you in that great time

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join