It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new $10 an hour American economy!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: macman

It's about humanity not you macman.

ME ME ME ME

Yup once again.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

SO, humanity means I state "I care about your problem"???

Well, guess I am not part of humanity. That is about the dumbest thing I have heard.
Here is the difference....You and other rely on "feelings" and good intentions.

I operate on results.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: Lyxdeslic

I agree. Here it is in the Networking world.

Half of the companies hire based on certificates people have. Now, there are about 1/3 of the people in the Networking field that are paper tigers. They went to a bootcamp, paid a butt load of money, got force fed info for the test and past. They have no real experience or little, and they get high end jobs.

I don't hold any College Degree. I do hold about 15 different certifications, mostly within the Cisco world. A couple odd ones like ITIL and such. I have a day job that pays around $80k a year.

You don't need a college degree.

We need to stop drilling into young peoples heads that they NEED a degree then. When I was in school, we weren't told about internships/apprenticeships, or tech schools. It was either go to college or join the army. For what I wanted to do, there weren't any college classes I could take because I would relearn everything in an apprenticeship (I wanted to be a tattoo artist. And still do.) So now, I'm working full time at a vintage game store saving up money for an apprenticeship.

I had to find out about apprenticeships by myself, though.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: macman

It's about humanity not you macman.

ME ME ME ME

Yup once again.

This is the second time I've seen you post this in two different threads. I'm starting to think you have a 'Me, Me, Me' complex and you push it off on other people. You know, point a finger because you're embarrassed. It doesn't contribute to the thread in any way. : )

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

I don't blame them for being mad. But, what are you and others going to do with your anger???

Will you be productive with it? Or just lash out.

I'm employed because I was lucky enough (I certainly won't say smart enough) to join the army out of high school (03), never went to college during my 3 years in. Then when I got out, I joined corporate America and STILL didn't go to college. It wouldn't be until 09 that I'd go back to school and get my degree (thanks to the new gi bill). By then I had seen what had become of non-tech jobs and majored in computer science. So I'm not exactly angry at my situation. I also blame only myself for my failings. I see no reason to blame society at large for things out of my control.

As for my productivity. I'm much more active as a Libertarian than I EVER was before, even though I've been a registered Libertarian since I was 18 (for its more green policies obviously). Though, my disdain for politics has never subsided and I don't get active in that regard. Just follow trends and prepare myself for the inevitability while having as much fun as possible.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Jobs are scarce, they exported so many of them. This was a problem before the great depression also, there was a lot of imports coming into the USA from other countries, including China, before that time. Look what happened, it took a war to build factories to get us back up again. Back then a real lot of people in the country were self sufficient, not anymore. We learned nothing from our biggest mistake it seems.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

First I heard of this. Everything I've read says that while America was booming in the 1920's, the rest of the world was already in the throes of the Depression. How exactly were the exports from these countries over stimulating our economy? Not saying you are wrong here, but I'd like to see a citation first.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Maybe I am wrong here but I don't think the 20's roared for everyone. Kind of like the past couple of decades here in america. It was the investors and such that benefitted not the average person.
Heck even in Germany at the time of the depression the economy roared...for some.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

It was a consumer based economy just like we have today. There was a relative of Roosevelt that made his millions by trading with China. Of course, this was importing stuff from China.

The boom was because they did the same thing they are doing now, everyone was buying stuff cheap and marking it way up. This created a lot of salesmen jobs and also the markets were making more and more money. Farmers got hardly anything for their produce, but there wasn't a property tax back then either. The farmers did buy spices and sugars and stuff like that. They needed money for beer in the tavern though.

I watched a couple of documentaries on this on PBS and did some checking to see if it was true.

edit on 15-9-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 04:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lyxdeslic

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

originally posted by: SubTruth
a reply to: ArchPlayer

Part of the progressive agenda was to push college as the only choice for success.....This is a lie. It flooded the marketplace and many young adults are not even working in the field they got a degree in.

Add on top of that the I am too good for that attitude because my parents always told me I was a winner. This is also part of the progressive mindset conditioning. Many young people are not even leaving the nest well into adulthood. Go into a mountain of debt you will never be able to pay back because the degree you earned is worthless. The plan worked and truth be told it will never change.

You are full of crap. Most young people aren't leaving the nest because they cannot afford to because of the debt that you JUST outlined and the crappy jobs that they aren't getting. I'm getting really tired of old people calling my generation lazy. The reason we can't get jobs is because YOU people won't retire. The baby boomers are the biggest generation and since they can't retire and are taking up more and more service jobs, it's squeezing out the younger crowd.

Agreed. www.usatoday.com... Right there is a map that goes by state how many hours you have to work at minimum wage in order to pay for rent. That right there is why people aren't leaving their parents houses. It's because they can't.

I don't know where you guys live but where I'm from NOBODY IS LIVING AT THEIR PARENTS HOUSE. A lot have been homeless and living that way for the better part of two years.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   

I think that's a class divide. Many poor have no option but to kick out their kids by 18. Many middle class believe it best to keep their kids around through their 20s until they can successfully branch out.
edit on 17-9-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: ArchPlayer

originally posted by: Lyxdeslic

originally posted by: SubTruth

Part of the progressive agenda was to push college as the only choice for success.....This is a lie. It flooded the marketplace and many young adults are not even working in the field they got a degree in.

Add on top of that the I am too good for that attitude because my parents always told me I was a winner. This is also part of the progressive mindset conditioning. Many young people are not even leaving the nest well into adulthood. Go into a mountain of debt you will never be able to pay back because the degree you earned is worthless. The plan worked and truth be told it will never change.

You are full of crap. Most young people aren't leaving the nest because they cannot afford to because of the debt that you JUST outlined and the crappy jobs that they aren't getting. I'm getting really tired of old people calling my generation lazy. The reason we can't get jobs is because YOU people won't retire. The baby boomers are the biggest generation and since they can't retire and are taking up more and more service jobs, it's squeezing out the younger crowd.

Agreed. www.usatoday.com... Right there is a map that goes by state how many hours you have to work at minimum wage in order to pay for rent. That right there is why people aren't leaving their parents houses. It's because they can't.

I don't know where you guys live but where I'm from NOBODY IS LIVING AT THEIR PARENTS HOUSE. A lot have been homeless and living that way for the better part of two years.

That deserves it's own thread.

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   

a reply to: Lyxdeslic

A college degree doesn't automagically get a person a job.

Yes, this is true. Too bad the older generations have been telling millennials (my generation) since I was a small kid (I'm 28) that you graduate from high school and then get a good job. Like it is guaranteed. You can't really blame all these kids for being deceived their whole lives.

It's also too bad that in our older generations this very statement was truer. I walked out of high school with no talent to speak of and landed a job two days after. I got an EMT certificate, took the state test and got a job on an ambulance within two weeks (only held up because of things like drug testing and security and such). Granted it was not a job on a fire department, but paid well. I then became a medic and got another job ASAP. Before all this, again with no real experience, I became an assistant veterinarian for a vet who worked for two harness racing tracks. All this before year 2000. The military I won't count mostly because at the time if you had what it took you were in. It wasn't until 2010 when I found myself struggling to find a job. Then life became harder...a late 20's guy working as a security guard, the finally supervisor making crap wages for one of the largest banks in the world. Then another security company. Then graduate school which I paid out the butt for. Then two more years of crap jobs until I finally got a job that required my license and degree level (Licensed Professional Counselor and a masters degree)

So don't give our generation all the blame. We didn't lie to you and we didn't deceive. We absolutely had joblessness but when I was around graduating, things fell into place. Hell everyone I knew was jumping right into a job the second the ink dried on our HS diplomas. Granted they were jobs in McDonalds and JC Penny's and in my case a video store (privately owned...AWESOME job because I worked after 9pm and got to put in R rated movies while I sat there and wacthed creepy guys disappear into the closed room).

Point is, for my era of graduation, it was a virtual lock that if you looked hard enough, it'd be there

But you specifically said "good jobs" and I don't want to ignore that part of your post. We again didn't lie to you...it changed...and the reason us Gen-xers even have a chance to find a reasonable job is because many of the Boomers are leaving those jobs and we are stepping into them and a lot of the Milleneals are just starting and don't have the experience or schooling yet. Almost everyone I was friends with who gave a damn is now graduated, OR NOT and have a trade, and have pretty fab jobs

I'm not saying it's nice...but guess what...we were deceived on occasion too...and no offense, but if we're going to go after generations then I am gonna say this...It's also not my fault if the Milleneals, who live in the time of the internet can't get around the time or energy to look into the fact that the economy sucks, job rates suck and things aren't getting better

That isn't the Milleneals FAULT that those things are in decline...but it sure seems like the most technologically advanced generation yet who have the most opportunity to use said technology couldn't be bothered to look into the problem

Sorry Krazy...I respect what you say I really do, but I am not going to bear the brunt of the load because I and other before us found an easier time grabbing a job because we were born in the 70's and earlier
edit on 22-9-2014 by KyoZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

Well by older generations I meant our parents and their parents (who are mostly baby boomers and older) and also there was a typo in that paragraph that I didn't notice until just now. I meant to say graduate college and guaranteed a nice job. Gen x's are young enough that I remember you guys got your own share of grief from the older generations (I remember the "slacker generation" label for one). But knowing this, I know that EVERY generation goes through this.

But for the record, I'm not blaming anyone for anything. I'm just trying to deflect the stigma that my generation is a bunch of entitled slackers because everyone says we can't get a job. I've posted many statistics (I'm not sure if they are on this thread or not, but are in my post history for topics similar to this) that show that millennials are no different than any other generation when it comes to motivation. Yet time and again we are told that we entitled, whiny brats.

All I was trying to show with my post is that our whole lives we were lied to about getting an education. When we finally get to the point where we are supposed to be independent, the economy pulls the rug out from under us. Then the people with experience get priority in keeping jobs, making things worse. Then if we GET a job, the wages are so low that we can't do much anyways or have to work two jobs. So we are forced to be underemployed or unemployed and end up living with our parents longer than we wanted. Then after ALL of this, we are called entitled or lazy. It's insulting and glosses over a WHOLE bunch of things that are out of our control all to stereotype us so that everyone can continue to be distracted from the REAL issue. The economy sucks, and a bunch of criminals got away from robbing EVERYONE and are STILL in charge and are ready to repeat the whole process. This may not happen this year or the next. But mark my words, it is coming and it will be worse than 2008. And the whole time we'll be pointing fingers at the other generations saying "It's YOUR fault!"

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

IF that is the case, then why do right wingers always push college as the means to escape poverty? Dont you think before you speak?

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
IF that is the case, then why do right wingers always push college as the means to escape poverty? Dont you think before you speak?

Is that some kind of truism, or just what you think? Also you failed to suggest my point was incorrect, so I would say it doesn't matter whether your left or right, both get screwed if they are not in a degree program that actually equates to a job.

posted on Oct, 4 2014 @ 06:09 PM
link   
All that matters in this country is that the Big Wall Street Banks and Big Corporations are doing well and are able to own our government.

Everyone else is on their own and have no political representation in DC.
There is a special place in Hell for people like these:

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Tea Party Patriots Gloat As Eric Cantor Cashes In On Wall Street
From DC to K Street, and everyone else is on their own.

"After Dave Brat's upset victory in June, many analysts accused Eric Cantor of paying more attention to Wall Street than to the people of Virginia's 7th district. He certainly didn't waste any time validating that theory," Kevin Broughton, a spokesman for the Tea Party Patriots Citizens Fund, said in a Tuesday statement.

Cantor, who was defeated by tea party-backed Dave Brat in a Republican primary election, is joining investment bank Moelis & Co. as vice chairman and managing director. He stands to earn $3.4 million in cash and stocks as a signing bonus, with $1.2 million guaranteed in just his first year. That's worth a lot more steaks than the $174,000 a year salary Cantor earned as a member of Congress.

If the Banking and Corporate Fascists that own our government and by extension control the markets, make your pay 5 bucks an hour you should not complain and take it up the behind with a smile.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join