It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

The new $10 an hour American economy!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:30 PM
A good percentage of those jobs require 5 years of experience and a college degree. The sad thing about it people will do that to get the job so that's why employers raise the bar up so high. I laugh in their face and tell them $10 hrly is below poverty wages. Yeah, $10 hrly was a good wage 35 years ago. Back then the dollar had 80% buying power now it's reversed and 20%. Supposedly the economy is doing good. Yeah suuuure it is. Is that why we are now up to 17 trillion in national debt? If every American paid his/her entire money into the national debt for one year we couldn't even pay off the compounding interest of 17 trillion. Inflation will go up regardless of what the minimum wage is. Collapse of the US is inevitable.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:58 PM
a reply to: onequestion

Maybe the problem isnt the pay, but the price of living.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:38 PM

originally posted by: Richn777
I don’t understand the tragedy of all this. According to these numbers there are not that many people on min wage.

The problem is that your numbers aren't accurate. Minimum wage is going to stay close to the inflation rate because it's indexed to COLA and wages are then calculated based on the minimum. The problem here is that COLA are based on CPI which is an inaccurate number ever since the way it was calculated was changed back in 1982.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:50 PM
FIrst time poster here, long time reader though. I almost posted this exact same thing. 8 years ago right outta high school I had a factory job for 12.50, now I am going job to job working for 10.50 or less. It seems like there is a correlation between right to work in my state and these temp places taking over factories.

Years ago a local factory in my town was run by the teamsters, you had heat breaks (when the temperature got around 110), benefits, 14.00 a hour, you could call your supervisor over if you had any issues or needed water or anything. Now its a complete sweatshop. Its unbelievable. They also only pay 9.50. I need insurance for me and my son and my only choice is to go to the bull# government healthcare program - at 400 dollars a month for two of us I just can't afford it.

These temp agencies have literally taken over in just a couple years. Every factory I know of now goes threw them. Less liability, no benefits, no worries about drug tests.

Anyways, No point in really getting either upset or excited anymore. The senate will soon belong to the republicans who will only put the final nail into the coffin of workers rights.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:00 PM
a reply to: OpinionatedB

The heading of my previous graph is "US Dollar per 1.00 euro".

This graph is Euro per 1.00 US Dollar

Still looks to me like the value of the Euro is going up in relation to the value of the dollar

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:04 PM

originally posted by: macman
a reply to: Logarock

I don't see a problem here.

People are paid what their skill/education/experience brings to a company.

That may or may not be true. I have worked for both sorts. There are plenty out there that don't care about anything but how cheep they can get the most skilled and hard working even if they have to hire a Mexican. They don't care if you were star running back down at the school, fought in the war and have been doing this type of work for years they will hire someone who can hardly speak English for 5$ an hour less. All the bosses and executives live over in the good part of the small town, drive past your granddads grave that fought in Korea on their way to work everyday but hire some guy whose family lives 2000 miles away and lives with 30 other guys in a trailer outside of town and sends all his earning out of country.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:13 PM
a reply to: Logarock

I sympathize with the Mexicans. I would be coming over here to work also if my country was losing more people to gang violence then afghanistan did during the recent war.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:27 PM
a reply to: movingpastalcohol

Whats to sympathize about?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:08 PM
a reply to: halfpint0701

It is confusing (I just don't want the mods to catch on but I think its too late)

Lets say you want to buy a new toilet and it costs $100 in US dollars because its an American Standard (hint hint).
That means you would have to pay 77 Euro's for the toilet today according to the chart, if all you had was a stack of Euro's.
Now had you bought the same toilet with Euro's back in April it would have only cost you 72 Euro's because they were more valuable then.

Of course delaying the purchase could have bought you a better toilet, remember those old 1.6 gallon models they made back in 1987?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:36 PM
a reply to: Cauliflower

That's exactly how I read the charts, but OpionatedB was saying I was wrong and that the first chart showed the value of the Euro dropping.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:58 PM
a reply to: Unity_99

People can dare to work for their dreams all they want.

But if the market isn't there...Oh well. You just wasted 100,000 bucks in student loans for a freakin' liberal arts degree, and now we're going to bitch about the "student loan crisis" created, in part, by these "special snowflakes" "following their dreams".

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:02 PM

originally posted by: SubTruth
a reply to: ArchPlayer

Part of the progressive agenda was to push college as the only choice for success.....This is a lie. It flooded the marketplace and many young adults are not even working in the field they got a degree in.

Add on top of that the I am too good for that attitude because my parents always told me I was a winner. This is also part of the progressive mindset conditioning. Many young people are not even leaving the nest well into adulthood. Go into a mountain of debt you will never be able to pay back because the degree you earned is worthless. The plan worked and truth be told it will never change.

I don't really think it was just the progressive agenda that pushed this. When confronted about the state of slave wages in the present economy,quite a few conservative pundits always rationalize; "If you want to make more money, go to school and get an education". Education as the means to escape from poverty has consistently been pushed by the right wing for years now. Unfortunately most people are unable to take that advice because of the lack of money to do so(unless you want to go into debt for pretty much the rest of your life).
edit on 9-9-2014 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:05 PM

originally posted by: rockintitz
But I thought if I got a college degree employers would be lining up to hire me. Welp, thank good god for welfare.

What do you have in skill to provide an employer to hire you?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:08 PM

originally posted by: openminded2011
I don't really think it was just the progressive agenda that pushed this. When confronted about the state of slave wages in the present economy,quite a few conservative pundits always rationalize; "If you want to make more money, go to school and get an education". Education as the means to escape from poverty has consistently been pushed by the right wing for years now. Unfortunately most people are unable to take that advice because of the lack of money to do so(unless you want to go into debt for pretty much the rest of your life).

99.9% of all colleges are progressive/liberal... they are the own hawking crappy degrees that no employer cares about...

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:05 AM
Well it depends what jobs you are talking about...All of the bindery and/or factory jobs yes have seriously declined and pay less all the time because you do not need nearly any education or skills to work those jobs....

I just left GE in WI ( 50+K a year )to work in MN for United Health Group ( 65+K a year ) and I started through a temp agency for a contract to hire position as an IT Manager. I do not have a completed college degree but am finishing up a bachelors so in my employers eyes I'm not college educated....

While what you say has some tones of truth, its not completelty accurate. I feel that eventually my job will too become something thats outsourced and I'm grateful for what I have and give back to those in need every year. Most are people are just flat out lazy and unwilling ot change ( get new skills, education, contacts ) in order to better their situation....They feel entititled to a good life when it needs to be earned.... That is on of the core problems in this country. a reply to: onequestion

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:03 AM
a reply to: Ameilia

Yea, now. And the new generations of kids are probably being told these kinds of thing. Right now though your dealing with a couple of generations whose parents were told it was good to say, "Dream Big!".

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:18 AM

My buddy just graduate college and he's been looking for a job for 4 months without even as much as a phone call back. His degree is environmental science.

I have an environmental science degree and I find that extremely hard to believe. Tell your buddy to drop the Cheetos and Xbox controller and get his ass off the couch and put more effort in to finding a job than increasing his BMI and Grand Theft Auto score. If he hasn't received a call back in four months the problem is with HIM not the economy or whatever other excuse he dreams up. The sense of entitlement in today's college grads makes me want to puke, for lack of a better term. I bet he's waiting on that management job with the corner office. You might want to inform your buddy it will never happen until the piper is paid via years of hard work, dedication, and professionalism.

Opportunities in the environmental profession are enormous right now and I don't see an end in sight. For a large percentage, jobs in the environmental sector are regulatory driven and we all know there is no shortage of new regs being written. What my company would do to find a new grad that is polite, hardworking, and accountable for their own actions, as we've been looking for one for over a year now.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:37 AM
a reply to: SubTruth

I believe anyone making under 15 dollars an hour is going to be screwed because of inflation.

That is what you call hitting the nail on the head.

Wages should be raised to account for the rise of inflation and that should be a given for anyone earning a low wage.
The CEO's of the multi nats are constantly given pay rises by the shareholders based on their performance on Wall Street-so why aren't the blue collar employees amply rewarded for their work?

It's Malarkey I tell ya.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:56 AM
You said it. I have a degree in Biology and even though that has a few more options than EnviroScience, many of those options closed after the recession. So by the time I started college and the time I ended college, I had lost opportunities and it was too late to change majors. So I ended up going home and getting stuck in the same small town, which eventually I was forced to take a temporary contract job at, you guessed it, $10/hr. (Beats the other opportunities at fast food chains.) Completely unrelated to my degree but at least I learned a lot of new skills.

I was going to become a professor. Little did I know that it's a long hard road to becoming an actual tenured prof, and fighting for part time positions. I also wanted to work for a government agency, which I had experienced as an intern. I was a bio aid for the Forest Service in college. Well they closed a lot of those jobs after the recession and after talking to some profs about the opportunities, they bluntly told me to forget it. I was told by professors that if your not a veteran, woman, or minority, it's virtually impossible to do anything but grunt work. He may have been over stating but from experience, he's on the money. I have to get a blood test to prove native heritage before I can get a good job probably. Luckily my creative skills of all things landed me a job, and now I'm getting really ancy to move to a place with real opportunities, if those exist.

Skills are worth more than a degree in many cases. Find a piece of software, learn it inside and out. Go online and learn about something you could use. Do hard research and get a 2 year cheap degree in something that has more opportunities. (I know plenty of people from HS that didn't go to a 4-year college and are making a lot more than me. aka nursing/auto-repair/welding) That's how you can get a job with a bad degree. I knew photoshop, Office, some others and that landed me a job, of all things. To keep that job I learned about 15 software programs since then, as well as using engineering machines.

Being some sort of entrepreneur was an idea of mine. That might be the only way for some of us to make money, just have to be creative, and persistent.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:05 AM
a reply to: Ameilia

Yeah, you can think that. He has a DEGREE. At one time, that at least meant you could become a manager in training for one of the numerous consumer outlets in this country. Today that is meaningless. I have a friend with a Masters in Robotics Engineering from Penn State. He is working as a paper pusher at a company that makes boiler parts. The other day, I was getting coffee at a starbucks and the guy was a total dick to me. After talking with him for awhile, I found out he as a law degree and is really bummed about having to work at starbusks. I have a degree plus experience in immunology and I am presently unemployed, although I have been offered employment as a glue sniffer at a caulking company making $8 an hour, which is just amazing. This whole, let's blame the unemployed mentality that many right wingers have is a head in the sand type position and it is not helping anything whatsoever.

We need a new labor movement in this country, one that brings together job seekers and the underemployed to organize themselves collectively so that we can demand a universal minimum wage for all people. There is no reason for anyone to be destitute in today's world. The efficiency of labor is so high, that they either need to be paying us $30 an hour for entry level work or giving all people a basic standard of living, even those who are presently unemployed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>