It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serviceman at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada alleges he was denied reenlistment for refusing to say

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite
a reply to: HomerinNC

What is wrong with Al Jazeera?

Nothing. Al Jazeera-America is one of the best news sites.

Actually, they bought Current TV, then worked to improve it.
edit on 7-9-2014 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:06 AM
link   
Problem solved

Attorneys with the American Humanist Association’s Appignani Humanist Legal Center, working with the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers, sent a letter to administrators at Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama outlining the reasons a forced statement of god-belief is not constitutional, including numerous court cases upholding the right of those who object to oaths with religious language to take a secular version instead.

A day later, Air Force officials agreed to administer a secular oath and to allow a revision of the written oath the Officer Trainee was required to sign to remove the "so help me God" reference. The Air Force representative, Maj. Stewart L. Rountree, notified attorneys for the American Humanist Association and the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers that the entire graduating class will be informed of the option to take a secular oath and apologized for the error. "Our previous legal advisors were mistaken in advising us that it was required," Maj. Rountree wrote. "Our current legal advisors made me aware and we will ensure it reaches all corners of our program." americanhumanist.org...

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

What is wrong with Al Jazeera?

Nothing. Al Jazeera-America is one of the best news sites.

Actually, they bought Current TV, then worked to improve it.

Al Jazeera worldwide is actually pretty first class. I suspect someone was just feeling slightly anti-arab or anti-muslim when they ran their little fingers off in a post.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Problem solved

Attorneys with the American Humanist Association’s Appignani Humanist Legal Center, working with the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers, sent a letter to administrators at Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama outlining the reasons a forced statement of god-belief is not constitutional, including numerous court cases upholding the right of those who object to oaths with religious language to take a secular version instead.

A day later, Air Force officials agreed to administer a secular oath and to allow a revision of the written oath the Officer Trainee was required to sign to remove the "so help me God" reference. The Air Force representative, Maj. Stewart L. Rountree, notified attorneys for the American Humanist Association and the Military Association of Atheists and Freethinkers that the entire graduating class will be informed of the option to take a secular oath and apologized for the error. "Our previous legal advisors were mistaken in advising us that it was required," Maj. Rountree wrote. "Our current legal advisors made me aware and we will ensure it reaches all corners of our program." americanhumanist.org...

Nice to see it was just a mistake. In my time in the Army the only God that was worshipped on a regular basis was Jack Daniels and other alcohol related deities.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
It would be the same as saying "So help me Daffy Duck"

Maybe YOU would be OK swearing a solemn oath in the name of Daffy Duck, but I assure you, I would not. The assertion in your post is wrong. I wouldn't say "So help me, Easter Bunny" either. It makes light of the commitment made by swearing an oath in the first place, IMO. My word is good. Bringing cartoon characters or other imaginary beings into it takes away from the seriousness of the vow.

a reply to: Annee

I love a good ending! Thanks!

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

I dont trust ANYTHING coming from Al-Jeezera or Russia Today
or MSN, NBC, ABC, CNN, HLN, FNC...
They are ALL propaganda machines
edit on 9/7/2014 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

Why would you want to force someone to vow an oath to a god that they don't believe in, or according to you, that they hate?

WHY?

I never said, nor intended they be forced to do anything. What I was trying to convey was the ones who don't believe at all, would not care what is said oath wise or anything else. The fact that they do care shows that perhaps they DO believe after all.,.

Ah! I see. So, according to you, the only "honest" atheist is a lying atheist.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   

What I was trying to convey was the ones who don't believe at all, would not care what is said

Assuming what another person would do or think, based on what YOU would do or think in the same situation, is really a narrow way of thinking. People are different. The above statement really doesn't mean anything.

oath wise or anything else.

If you're insinuating that an atheist cannot be trusted to keep his word because he doesn't believe in your god, that's just ignorance.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite

I dont trust ANYTHING coming from Al-Jeezera or Russia Today
or MSN, NBC, ABC, CNN, HLN, FNC...
They are ALL propaganda machines

Where do you get your information?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

right here of course lol

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: HomerinNC

right here of course lol

You get your information here.

Brilliant

That's balanced.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:02 PM
link   

you should get your information from everywhere you can then sift and cross reference
even the bs tells you something
always good to know which way the winds are blowing

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

What I was trying to convey was the ones who don't believe at all, would not care what is said

Assuming what another person would do or think, based on what YOU would do or think in the same situation, is really a narrow way of thinking. People are different. The above statement really doesn't mean anything.

oath wise or anything else.

If you're insinuating that an atheist cannot be trusted to keep his word because he doesn't believe in your god, that's just ignorance.

Both you guys are responding in "gobbledygook" I give up even trying to explain the simplest of concepts to either of you since you respond in an alien language having utterly nothing whatsoever to do with anything I have said.

If you ever learn how to communicate in a sensible manner then congratulations, but don't call me, and I certainly won't call you either.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

I think we are far more clear on what you actually posted then you are.

To me when someone makes a big whine when refusing to say God means they do believe but are against God. If they didn't believe in God, why make a big deal out of it? It would be the same as saying "So help me Daffy Duck" To the non believer it shouldn't be an issue either way. But it is because they actually hate God or the idea that there might be a God, and they don't like that because they are selfish, prideful, ARROGANT in the extreme, nostrils up in the air with hostility when anyone mentions "God" LIARS are what they are. You can spit, fume, and sputter, but you aren't fooling everyone.. THE TRUTH HURTS DON'T IT?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

I think we are far more clear on what you actually posted then you are.

Since it was my post, you aren't in a position to claim what it was, it should have been obvious, but in the case where you are assuming a stature of complete ignorance and pretending to also be speaking for everyone else and not just yourself, I'll humor you and say: "Sure" Just in case you might otherwise start speaking in tongues, or have a buckle on your straight jacket come loose, as I wouldn't want to contribute purposely to you injuring yourself further. By the way, twisting someone's meanings and then saying that was what they said, when they never did, is what they call a straw man argument. But when you do it in a way that is so obvious as you have, it more resembles trolling.

Thanks for... Whatever it is you think you said that is what I said, or a combination of all four. /end sarcasm.
edit on 7-9-2014 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: LOL what a MORE RON

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Since it was my post, you aren't in a position to claim what it was, it should have been obvious, but in the case where you are assuming a stature of complete ignorance and pretending to also be speaking for everyone else and not just yourself, I'll humor you and say: "Sure" Just in case you might otherwise start speaking in tongues, or have a buckle on your straight jacket come loose, as I wouldn't want to contribute purposely to you injuring yourself further. By the way, twisting someone's meanings and then saying that was what they said, when they never did, is what they call a straw man argument. But when you do it in a way that is so obvious as you have, it more resembles trolling.

Thanks for... Whatever it is you think you said that is what I said, or a combination of all four. /end sarcasm.

All I can do is laugh now

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
DP

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: roth1
refusing to say so help me God
Shows how much they break their own rules. Unconstitutional. You used to be able to take the oath to serve without forcing this belief in magical beings on some one. On On Oct. 30, 2013 that changed. Which way is this country going? Take that crap off our money. Don't let them pray to start congress. Don't even let a politician mention it when he is representing the people who voted them in. They should all be kicked out for violation their oath to uphold the constitution if they do this crap. Keep it at home or in your church. You have a right to believe, but you have no right to force it on others. Does anyone one care about the Constitution, Bill of Rights our civil liberties anymore?

Sorry it cut off when i pasted it tile was to long.

america.aljazeera.com...

Sorry, saying it in public as you are describing regarding politicians etc.. is NOT forcing down your throats...You don't have the freedom FROM religion, only the freedom OF religion...

Jaden

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: rnaa

"You can blaspheme against the Father and you will be forgiven, you can blaspheme against the Son and you will be forgiven but if you blaspheme against the Holy Spirit, you will never be forgiven."-Jesus of Nazareth.

Jaden

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Masterjaden
You don't have the freedom FROM religion, only the freedom OF religion...

You are incorrect. We have the freedom to believe WHATEVER we want. The First Amendment protects freedom of religion by prohibiting Congress from making any law that respects an establishment of religion. Any law that requires an oath that establishes a religion by adding "so help me God" is a violation of the First Amendment.

We don't have freedom of religion if we are required to practice a religion.

In the end, the 1st Amendment not only prevents the establishment of a national religion, but it also prohibits government aid to any religion, even on an non-preferential basis, as well as protecting the right of the individual to choose to worship, or not, as he or she sees fit.
The constitutional inhibition of legislation on the subject of religion has a double aspect. On the one hand, it forestalls compulsion by law of the acceptance of any creed or the practice of any form of worship
The Court noted that the first freedom is absolute — there can be no restriction whatever on what the people are free to believe.

US Constitution Religious Freedom

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join