It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Serviceman at Creech Air Force Base in Nevada alleges he was denied reenlistment for refusing to say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
refusing to say so help me God
Shows how much they break their own rules. Unconstitutional. You used to be able to take the oath to serve without forcing this belief in magical beings on some one. On On Oct. 30, 2013 that changed. Which way is this country going? Take that crap off our money. Don't let them pray to start congress. Don't even let a politician mention it when he is representing the people who voted them in. They should all be kicked out for violation their oath to uphold the constitution if they do this crap. Keep it at home or in your church. You have a right to believe, but you have no right to force it on others. Does anyone one care about the Constitution, Bill of Rights our civil liberties anymore?

Sorry it cut off when i pasted it tile was to long.

america.aljazeera.com...
edit on 6-9-2014 by roth1 because: Added

edit on 6-9-2014 by roth1 because: added

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:53 AM
link   
For refusing to say what ? Am i missing something here ?>

2nd

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 06:54 AM
link   
a reply to: roth1

What did he refuse to say? Your headline was either cut off or needs an edit, and the OP seems to say it had something to do with God or a related entity. Just a little more data in the OP and the story would be clear (not everyone clicks on links).

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Hate to break it to you .. but thats nothing new .. back in the 60's during my time in serving with s.o.g the only religion the military officially recognized was christianity .. caught hell for following zen / shinto and had I been stateside rather than doing tours in vietnam with s.o.g would not have been promoted due the policies regarding religion ..
It wasnt till after my time that the military started recognizing other religions officially ..

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

To clarify a little ...
the serviceman was an atheist, and refused to say
"so help me God" as part of his oath of service.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister

What did he refuse to say? Your headline was either cut off or needs an edit, and the OP seems to say it had something to do with God or a related entity. Just a little more data in the OP and the story would be clear (not everyone clicks on links).

He was booted out for refusing to say ‘so help me God’. The Airman was well within his rights to not say it and should follow through with a lawsuit.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The story is from Al Jazeera and it quotes the original story from American Humanist Org . The CLAIM is that he couldn't reenlist without saying 'so help me God'. That's absurd. There is an oath that the military can take that is without God in it. It's used all the time. Looks to me like Al Jazeera jumped on a hoaky story and I have a hard time believing 'American Humanist Org'.

Creech AFB where this allegedly happened

There has been no statement from the supposed (and unnamed) airman and no statement from the Air Force Base.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Guy doesn’t want to take the oath of enlistment because it has "so help me God" in it.

An airman stationed at Creech Air Force Base in Indian Springs, Nevada, was prohibited from reenlisting in the U.S. military last month for omitting the words “so help me God” from a service oath he was required to recite, and for refusing to sign the oath containing the same words on his enlistment form, according to the American Humanist Association (AHA).

That was not always the case. Until October 2013, Air Force Instruction 36-2606, under which the enlistment oath falls, stipulated that “Airmen may omit the words ‘so help me God,’ if desired for personal reasons,” Air Force Times reported.

I wonder why the AFI (Air Force Instruction) was changed and no longer alows it to be omitted as noted in the article. The article also mentions that it needs congressional approval for the Air Force to change an AFI, which is definitely not true. There are probably thousands of AFIs.

Citing the Air Force, the Air Force Times reported that the option to omit the words “so help me God” could not be reconstituted without congressional approval.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:09 AM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

Thanks. Yes, very odd, you'd think that in 2014 they'd have alternate language. Refusing to kneel before Zod and all that. Maybe this guy can try again after a mini-conversion.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Its in Air Force Times too

Air Force Times

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
First off, the source is Al Jeezera, so take that in account. Secondly, when I enlisted and reenlisted, I had the option to not say God during the ceremony. You know you sign your enlistment (or reenlistment) papers BEFORE you verbally take the Oath of Enlistment. That part is just a formality and ceremony. Chances this airman wasn't booted for that, he was probably booted or not allowed to reup for substandard performance

Eta: looks like the option was quietly removed in 2013, so I might be incorrect. Very odd, I took my Oaths in the 1990's
edit on 9/6/2014 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Roth , I understand. My mom was atheist. There came a time when she just decided to state her belief out loud. She said, " I do not believe there is a supreme being. I do not believe there is a God. If there is, I request that he show himself , and make himself known to me.
HE DID! HE DID!

She became a totally different person after that. She became deeply involved with serving and helping the lives of others. She attended church, but was not religious, but very close in a spiritual relationship with God. He would tell her to do something and she would. Then amazing things would happen. I witnessed what appeared to be super natural things happening, throughout my child hood. She had a personal relationship with God for the rest of her life. I don't care for cheezy religious people, but I just love authentic non- judgmental Christians that walk the walk rather then run their mouth and point out sins, and judge everybody to be less holy then themselves
Try that. Just do it. Don't be afraid.
Take care All!

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
a reply to: HomerinNC

What is wrong with Al Jazeera?

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I unknowingly once went to a meeting with a 100% group subscription to an imaginary diety concept, when asked to to verbally aknowledge this delusional but still agreed upon concept as a greater power or a tangible thing , I got up and left the Building,I was insulted and refused to honor such idiocy with my personal free-will attention,voice,or prescence.I didnt even see nything to discuss,I simply immediatly took my leave,being thankfull I had made a safe egress.

In the Military there must exist an Esprit de Corps which transcends religons and ice cream flavors, there must be a binding and blinding force,because most militarys are simply extensions of TPTB and not the Peoples Voices they cannot use the EveryMan and EveryWoman theme to create this Esprit de Corps, the best they can do is damage control or slowing down or stopping the growth of ANYTHING binding , a scorched earth policy is actioned.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

originally posted by: Richn777
Its in Air Force Times too

Okay ... that's good to know. Something to back up Al Jazeeras story. When dealing with Al Jazeera, its' best to have at least one other credible source of information. They aren't the most reliable.

That being said, it looks like it was a glitch in the oath language when the change over happened a year ago. I was Army and I was given an option of oaths. My brother was Airforce and he was given an option of oaths. My nephew is Navy and he was given an option of oaths. So I"m sure it's just a paperwork thing that has to be straightened out. And in the end, the atheist fella will probably get backpay and credit for 'time served' while the new language is fixed.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: BasementWarriorKryptonite

What is wrong with Al Jazeera?

It is a Muslim run news service so some people think it shouldn't be taken seriously. Unlike our Zionist run news services here in the states which should always be believed.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   
a reply to: BasementWarriorKryptonite
It has as much credibility as Russia Today, it's a propaganda rag

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

I suppose you could say the same as any 'news' organisation. For the most part, I've found the reporting by Al Jazeera journalists to be quite good.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I have tried. It seems to all be fantasy to me. All can believe if they choose. I have no problem with those that believe. My problem is when they force it on me and influence politics with it. All these Christians that love to force it into politics. Always have a problem with a different religion being force or no religion being forced ass well. Double standard. And Hippocrates they are. Not relating it to you tired of it influencing my life. You can make rules on how to treat people without propagating what i think is fantasy. I think it is just superstition to think you pray for a job and get a job, but you applied for one. Maybe and maybe if you prayed for one and never tried to get one never applied for one mentioned it to anyone just prayed and some one knocked on you door and offered you one that could be believable. Sometimes things just are they just happen no miracle. I have never seen these prayers or miracles happen. Every reference i have ever heard never sounded like on to me. Just coincidence. If you prayed for good crops and did not plant seeds and all of a sudden in a blink of an eye they were full grown, that would be something. am a reply to: visitedbythem

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: roth1
refusing to say so help me God
Shows how much they break their own rules. Unconstitutional. You used to be able to take the oath to serve without forcing this belief in magical beings on some one. On On Oct. 30, 2013 that changed. Which way is this country going? Take that crap off our money. Don't let them pray to start congress. Don't even let a politician mention it when he is representing the people who voted them in. They should all be kicked out for violation their oath to uphold the constitution if they do this crap. Keep it at home or in your church. You have a right to believe, but you have no right to force it on others. Does anyone one care about the Constitution, Bill of Rights our civil liberties anymore?

Sorry it cut off when i pasted it tile was to long.

america.aljazeera.com...

Yet you have no issue demanding of those who dont fit your model, dont see the hypocrisy.

You have a right to disbelieve and you are forcing that right on others.

and lets be honest, it really doesnt mean anything to most people anyway.
and what is god, it could be your rifle if you worship it.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join