It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here’s How the Price of Your Favorite Fast Food Would Change With a $15 Minimum Wage

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Aww is that deflection on your lips?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Now that makes more sense

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
McDonald's Corp.

as of 10 minutes ago,,

$92.96 a share.

John W. Rogers, Jr.
John Washington Rogers, Jr., an investor who founded Ariel Capital Management in 1983. He is chairman and CEO of the company, which is the United States' largest minority-run mutual fund firm.

Talk to this guy,,

Major Direct Holders
Holder Shares Reported

ROGERS JOHN W JR 87,500 Apr 23, 2014

SANTONA GLORIA 60,719 Apr 25, 2014
MCKENNA ANDREW J 48,768 Dec 12, 2012
THOMPSON DONALD 12,248 Apr 23, 2014
FENTON TIMOTHY J 30,561 May 9, 2014

thats right,,,,

ps its the guy in the middle

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Get rid of the McDonalds, Burger KIngs, etc and let small business feed people. People would make a decent living and the food would be reasonable. Corporation are just ripping off everyone. Why would anyone waste money on mcCrap...

Mcdonalds and the like didn't start out as corporations.

They started out like any other small mom and pop businesses

Are you saying that we should only allow them to grow so big?

So it's ok to mandate what someone else does but to hell w anyone who tells you what you can make?

How does this thought process escape people?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
How's that for some fear mongering? Yes, that is a 38%added to a single item on the menu. However, those prices are still inaccurate. If you were to take that price increase, and distribute it equally among all menu items, the rise in price for each item would only increase approximately 20-50 cents a piece (based on menu item-value menu vs premium meal) .

A 3 dollar raise for a single meal? People would go nuts. 20-50 cents extra per item? Barely noticeable

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

Where you see deflection I see frustration debating about the subject where people are so short sigthed they don't see the bigger picture

I see people wanting to dictate the income of others while screaming that they don't want their wages capped...

I see people bleating about income inequality while trying to dictate what others make because it's more then theirs

I see people who cry foul about high prices then perpetuate inflation by demanding that they get paid more. Not having the foresight to see that goods and services are going to cost more because of it

Come on!

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Here is the tax savings per corporation based only on CEO pay:

This doesn't include food subsidies, and other tax breaks these poor rich companies need to continue to make record profits on the backs of there poor workforce.

Companies of all types can and do take advantage of the performance-pay loophole, but this study focused specifically on fast food. It's at least the second way the industry hits the federal government's budget: Low wages at the nation’s 10 largest fast-food companies -- which typically hover about a dollar above the federal minimum wage -- cost taxpayers $3.8 billion per year, because workers have to rely on government assistance to get by, according to a recent study by the National Employment Law Project.

“(Fast food companies) are a double burden on the taxpayer,” said Sarah Anderson, the author of the IPS report. “We’re trying to expose the disparity here between CEOs’ policies when it comes to worker pay versus the generous subsidies that they’re getting from their own pay.”

link
edit on 5-9-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Hello! If this increase happens the economy will have another recession/depression. This happened after the gas prices hit $4.20 in 2007. No one will be able to afford going anywhere or spending any money. I feel minimum wage is already too much. I made $3.25 an hour in 1984. People will stop eating fast food. America will be thinner. The poor will be unemployed and even poorer. The rest of us will buy our own deep fat fryers and grill our own burgers. I will pack more sandwiches for my kids and be Irish in principal. To tamper with the economy in any way is purely moronic! Does no one ever learn from their past history?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

I have no reason to believe or to trust any right wing economics. I do find it interesting that foxnews and most all other right wing propaganda is teaching people to hate the poor.

Why should I trust anything related to the economy from right wing talking heads?

How about. . . er, I don't know. . . . not trusting ANY talking head!

Do YOU want to keep people poor?

Do YOU want to perpetuate the minimum wage job cycle?

Do YOU know that even if they DID raise minimum wage, it'd still be at or below the poverty line?

WHY THE F DOES EVERYONE WANT TO STAY IN POVERTY?????

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Now that makes more sense

Thank you!

I get so effing frustrated as to WHY people want to stay at or below the poverty line!!!!!

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   

It's spittle.

I'm fuming right now.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:03 PM
link   
so angry I double posted
edit on 5-9-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek

originally posted by: kdyam

originally posted by: kelbtalfenek
a reply to: TDawgRex

The real issue here isn't wages. The real issue is the devaluation of the dollar.

Think about what $10 used to buy...a full paper bag of groceries, a tank of gas, date night at the movies.

Now what does it get you?

The dollar has been devalued as it's fiat money now. Middle class jobs are dead or dying or being shipped overseas due to demand for ever cheaper products (which the influx of devalues the worth of our dollars even more.)

This isn't 1960, it's 2014. People are making more than .75 an hour now too.

If someone wants to get a middle class job then they need to be smart and get one is a field that is not and cannot be outsourced, such as point of service healthcare or insurance sales there are many many others as well. Only thing is you have to learn the skills associated with those jobs, and most of the jobs are fairly hard work which a lot of people don't want to do.

I'm not talking 1960s sir. I'm talking 1980s. If we want to get into 1960s, we could do that too. However you are missing the point: Our dollar's value has dropped and dropped and dropped and dropped. Along with that dropping there has been a decline in the middle class jobs which a lot of people actually do. Where are the manufacturing jobs? Where are the call center jobs? (Hint: Asia) It's cheaper to ship out raw materials to these countries to have them turn those materials into finished goods...or have them man the telephones 24/7 for the rough equivalent of about $10.50 per DAY.)

Why? Because we're so concerned about having things NOW and CHEAP.

Honestly though, the minimum wage increase at fast food doesn't directly impact me, because I don't eat at any of those places. But I do know people that work at them, along with 2 or 3 other jobs...just to pay rent, buy food and basic necessities.

If your talking about the 80's then you need to redo your math. $10 would not get you a tank of gas and a bag full of groceries unless you rode a scooter and bought top ramen. Gas averaged $1.25/gallon and a gallon of milk was around $2.10.... I Don't know about you but I only pay around $2.50 a gallon for milk 30 years later, gas has gone up considerably but so has the minimum wage.

One thing you may not being understanding is that if "fast food" increases their minimum wage everyone else has to also. It's going to be a nationwide increase, service based industries wouldnt be the only ones affected, gas pumpers will be getting $15 and hour as well... so think about how much gas would go up to cover that increase.

Nobody flipping a burger or dropping a basket of fries should be making $15/hr, they should be college or high school kids temporarily working in the industry while bettering themselves and their useful skills to get a better more useful job down the line where they can actually support themselves and their families without the need for welfare.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Our government (blame whomever you want) screwed the economy so badly that know they are trying to raise minimum wages so that people who used to make 80,000 a year (but lost their jobs because of asshat legislation and crappy banking practices) can eat meat once a month.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: BobAthome

United States' largest minority-run mutual fund firm

ok is it just me ??
or does this not seem ironic, that the "United States' largest minority-run mutual fund firm"
is not helping the working poor???

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

It's not the executives that are reaping all the profits it's the shareholders.

Then buy some shares of stock in the companies you think are oppressing their employees, the employees can do it too, no on is stopping them.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

i forgot the link,,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

for here,

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

lol I suppose you were too angry to see the intentional irony of my post beezzer.

Oh well you never did seem to have much of a sense of humor.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: kdyam

You get it. As do many others.

But there are too many people who think emotionally, rather than rationally and refuse to see the writing on the wall. They'll be the ones screaming the loudest about how unfair it is (again) when they realize just what they have brought about...in the name of fairness.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

If 'getting it' means buying into a phony system then I shall gladly remain ignorant.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join