It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Here’s How the Price of Your Favorite Fast Food Would Change With a $15 Minimum Wage

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a blue collar worker works every bit as hard if not harder then some with college diplomas, I never understood how one decides whose labor is more worthwhile.

I have college educated friends that make statements that make me cringe.

I am not ashamed of what I do

As another poster said someones got to do it, as a housekeeper, I know my clients look down on me, one was shocked I knew how to use a computer,

i think I am a very well informed individual, much more so then some of my friends, I am the go to when they want to find out about current events, oh well

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
a reply to: beezzer

Don't they have fully stocked underground shelters just waiting for the collapse they had such a role in creating?

Who cares?

"They" won't be targets.

Joe "small business owner" Smith and his wife and children will be the ones killed by the small petty myopic morons who hate the wealthy.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

This isn't as simple as hating the wealthy beezer and you know it.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: TDawgRex

I don't eat fast food other than the occasional In-N-Out. They start their entry level employees pay rate above minimum wage and the foods not that expensive.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more if it meant people working there were making a livable wage. My brother used to work at a fast food joint full time and had to supplement his income with another full time job so he could pay his bills and feed himself and his daughter. He was working over 80 hours per week barely scraping by. Luckily he's found a job back in the construction industry and no longer needs two jobs to live.

Why is it that these fast food places can make billions of dollars in profits yet their many of their employees are on food stamps. That is a problem.

edit on 5-9-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: stupid autocorrect!

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Meh, we can all assume that beezzer hates the poor based on the posts he makes.

I see assumptions made out of peoples posts ALL the time on this site it's kinda sad really.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
It Takes a McDonald's Worker 4 Months To Earn What The CEO Gets In An Hour

I would think that instead of putting the wage increase onto the customer, the executives could lower their wages and share the burden...

That means the average McDonald's employee would have to work for 3.86 months straight at an overtime wage -- or 1.5 times her regular hourly pay -- to match what Skinner made in an hour, according to NerdWallet.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:19 PM
link   

So thinking that corporations that massively benefit from the system, forcing them to pay a livable wage is hating?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

It's not the executives that are reaping all the profits it's the shareholders.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Is it easy to blame the rich? Is it easy to blame powerful, wealthy corporations who can buy congress and legislation in order to stack the deck in their favor? Who can engage in monopolistic oligarchies to corner markets, prevent new startups from competing, and engage in price fixing with their competitors in order to keep the supply/demand market from self regulating? It is easy to blame companies that strongarm congressmen into passing legislation that removes the right of americans to negotiate prices for their goods that are essential (medicare expansion act) for example? Is it easy to blame the bankers who bribe congress to give them billions in bailouts, against the will of the people? Is it easy to blame the Walmarts who bribe congressmen to give them subsidies to add to the billions of their profits, and who bribe congress to relax legislation so they can export their labor to third world countries to steal American jobs? Is it easy to blame fortune 500 companies who bribe congress to lower regulations so they can headquarter in other countries to avoid allowing their money to be taxed to help pay for the same subsidies to themselves that they bribe congressmen to force on other working americans? Is it easy to blame the vaccine companies who bribe legislation that their products be mandatory, and that you cannot sue for injury? The answer to all this is a resounding YES. We can blame them for those things they are responsible for. To pretend they have no hand in it is to ignore the facts.

Now please, show me the countries with the highest minimum wages, and their standards of living.....and then show me the countries with the lowest minimum wages, and their standard of living.
edit on 5-9-2014 by pexx421 because: expanding an idea

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Someone please explain to me why the price of everything has to go up so much to accomidate an increase in wages for let's say: McDonalds....who made $1.5 billion in profits in just the third quarter of 2013? I know the boss needs to get paid, but the boss doesn't need to get paid that #ing much ya know? It's bull#. The prices only go up because the profits don't go down.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Get rid of the McDonalds, Burger KIngs, etc and let small business feed people. People would make a decent living and the food would be reasonable. Corporation are just ripping off everyone. Why would anyone waste money on mcCrap...

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

This isn't as simple as hating the wealthy beezer and you know it.

Sure it is. Isn't this what it's all about?

Income inequality? Economic justice? Class division?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
a reply to: ManBehindTheMask

It's equally hypocritical to have an exponential increase in executive salaries while the labor force languishes on welfare and prices skyrocket...but then blame labor for the increase.

My own employer of 15 years promised to grandfather in benefits - twice. Each time they reneged. And no one except managers or above is full time. Store square footage and inventory decreased. Product quality declined. But executive pay increased...

It's ridiculous for anyone not to acknowledge that something is inherently broken here.

The. It sounds to me the best course of action is to get another job....

It's one thing not to be happy and find other employment.

It's another to go to work for a place and agree to their employment terms and then demand that they change it to suit you

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
a reply to: onequestion

Meh, we can all assume that beezzer hates the poor based on the posts he makes.

I see assumptions made out of peoples posts ALL the time on this site it's kinda sad really.

You just made an assumption.

Did that make you sad as well?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

So thinking that corporations that massively benefit from the system, forcing them to pay a livable wage is hating?

When did I use that word?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

It's not that easy, maybe everything must collapse to get this straightened out, I don't know how this can be fixed.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Everyone is focusing on minimum wage.

pffft!

I say why not focus on creating jobs in; industry, medicine, architecture, manufacturing, etc. Why not create jobs for these people that doesn't include flipping burgers!!!

Or

We can just stay focused on minimum wage is an economy that is service-based instead off manufacturer-based.

You people who stay focused like this on minimum wage are playing into government hands, like docile sheep.

I don't see the bleating for high paying jobs.

I see people who WANT to keep people poor by perpetuating them in low paying jobs!

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: caterpillage

originally posted by: Blackmarketeer
Or maybe the upper management and multimillionaire CEOs can take a smallish pay cut, and let their workers earn a slightly more livable wage.

That's a little bit of a misconception however well intentioned. If you took the ceo's entire salary per year of 8.7 million and made him work for absolutely nothing, then distributed it among the 1.7 million employees it would give them a pay raise of $5.11 a year. Not an hour. Per year. Won't lift them out of poverty.

Based on a 30 hour work week this would give them 1/3 of one cent an hour pay raise.

Dude, you can't throw real math at people whining about social injustice. Facts don't matter to them. They want to live in fantasy land where everyone is treated "fair" regardless of their job skill level and get paid a nice big "livable wage" that somehow has no side effects on the rest of the economy.

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

I have no reason to believe or to trust any right wing economics. I do find it interesting that foxnews and most all other right wing propaganda is teaching people to hate the poor.

Why should I trust anything related to the economy from right wing talking heads?

posted on Sep, 5 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
a reply to: roadgravel

It's not that easy, maybe everything must collapse to get this straightened out, I don't know how this can be fixed.

People can choose where they spend their money. It seems most people have forgotten that idea.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join