It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Length of Becoming a Mason

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I am really considering becoming a Mason. I have many obligations know that require most of my time. I was wondering if anyone could inform me of the length of the process of becoming a Mason? What is expected of me as an aspirant?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 03:42 AM
link   
This varies from constitution to constitution.

In the UK, no man can be conferred the next degree within a period of less than four weeks.

And then it will depend on yourself, there is some memory work you will need to do, so depending on how quick you learn can also determine how long it takes.

I wouldn't be in too much of a rush though, the process of going through the 3 degrees is a wonderful one and many masons wish they could do it over and over again.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Can mason do all three degrees in one day?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by pbrez

Two answers.

1. (In general practice) "Only in America".

2. Many Constitutions will have a rule that enables one particular individual to confer the degree of Master Mason on sight. It is not standard practice.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
There is a big debate going on with regard to One day Masonry.

Different Masons have differing views.

Personally I think the degrees are a bueatiful experience and one that is best experieved over a period of time.

In the UK you will have to wait and go through each degree at a time. It then depends on the size of the Lodge. I am involved in two Lodges , one we can initiate In January , pass in Feb and Raise in March (3rd), the other you will have to wait a year to get in.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I started my trip in June and I am just getting my Master next month. My cousin did the one day thing, he did not get much out of it as opposed to going through it the "traditional" way.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by pbrez

It depends on the Grand Lodge's rules in the various states. In my state, there is a minimum waiting period of four weeks between degrees. However, in other states, one day classes are practiced.

A couple of places have went even further. Last year in one state (I think it was Ohio), the first three degrees were given in the morning; in the afternoon, the Scottish Rite Northern Jurisdiction conferred the 32�; the York Rite did their degrees; then, in the evening, the new members were inducted in the Shrine.

In other words, they came in during the morning as non-Masons, and left that night being Master Masons, 32� Scottish Rite Masons, Royal Arch Masons, Cryptic Masons, Knights Templar, and Shriners. Needless to say, I am absolutely opposed to this practice. Probably none of these new members had any idea of what was going on, and I'd be willing to bet that half of them slept through most of it.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
geez, that is kind of crooked. How much did that cost? Hopefully at least they made a profit off of it. Most people that did the one day thing and are members of my lodge don't even show up.

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
PA held a one-day class on October 2nd of this year... We will be doing another this year, probably again in the fall.

I agree that the guys who got their 3rds that day didn't get as much out of it. But for those for whom time was a problem, they at least got to finally join. We also did Scottish Rite and Shrine that day. I personally decided that I would take advantage of the one-day to get myself into the pendant bodies, since I can devote time to Blue Lodge activities, but can't spare any more for the pendant /concordant bodies. Plus, you don't get as much out of those anyway until you actually start participating in doing the degree work...

But I had been raised about a year and a half before the one-day class, and helped out as a mentor for an initiate... I suppose it was less "scary" for those who did the one-day, but they lost something by not going through the full way.

As for the money,... it is generally either the same or cheaper to do the one-day class than go through the "regular way". Money isn't the real factor in these one-day events,... membership is. This year was the first year in 40 that PA did not see a decline in membership (mostly due to deaths, since membership age AVERAGES in the late 50s, with many much older). Most lodges could continue by consolidating and combining resources, but what does that say about an organization??? Membership keeps the Lodge active, and helps support growth and community good will. Many Lodges are in a position of having a good amount of money, but not enough new members to take officer positions...

new topics

top topics

join