It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola? Take a Pill. ...What Doesn't Work and What's in the Pike.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Looks like ZMapp is a fail - the 2 Americans treated lived, but might have passed the hump before getting ZMapp; the Spanish priest and Liberian doctor both died after treatment. Contradictory reports say 1 or 2 other patients got the drug, but no updates. But looks like ZMapp might be 50% effective for a disease the WHO says has a 47% fatality rate. [Not very impressive.]

There's no vaccine ready to go - we're looking at several years. Japan's Toyama Chemicals company developed an antiviral called T-705 (or Avigan) for use against new strains of influenza - they have 20,000 doses ready to ship. And the push is on for re-purposing already-licensed anti-inflammatories and antivirals for off-label use to treat Ebola. Big Pharma is pitching everything from statins to Humira.

Meanwhile, studies show that lowly Vitamin C just might do the trick when administered intravenously. Unfortunately, there's no money in generic vitamins so nobody with any clout is talking about it.

Ebola kills Liberia doctor despite ZMapp treatment

A Liberian doctor has died despite taking an experimental anti-Ebola drug, Liberia's information minister says.

Abraham Borbor was one of three doctors in Liberia who had been given ZMapp and were showing signs of recovery.

ZMapp has been credited with helping several patients recover, including two US doctors.

……Meanwhile, Japan said it was ready to allow shipments of an experimental anti-viral drug to help combat the Ebola outbreak.

It is not clear whether T-705 (or Avigan) will actually work against Ebola, and no monkey or human trials of the drug have been done, the BBC's Rupert Wingfield-Hayes in Tokyo reports.

T-705 was developed by Japan's Toyama Chemicals company for use against new strains of influenza. It was approved by the Japanese government earlier this year.

A company spokesman says the firm believes the similarity between flu viruses and Ebola means Avigan could be effective.

Japan says it is ready to ship Avigan even without approval by the World Health Organization.

New Thinking About Ebola Treatments

…There are currently no approved drugs to treat infection with the Ebola virus… The new proposal would fill the gap by using drugs that have already been approved to treat other diseases and repurposing them to treat Ebola as well.

This approach is well worth pursuing, given the crisis. Two broad categories of drugs are being mentioned. Existing drugs that seek to disable the viruses responsible for other diseases, for example, might conceivably disable the Ebola virus. And drugs that temper the body’s response to other diseases by reducing severe inflammation might also dampen the often fatal inflammatory response in Ebola patients.

….Even those who have backed the use of existing drugs because “desperate situations justify desperate measures” have stressed that there needs to be some evidence a drug might work.

Intravenous ascorbic acid infusion was safe and well tolerated in this study and may positively impact the extent of multiple organ failure and biomarkers of inflammation and endothelial injury.

Can Vitamin C Cure Ebola?

edit on 25/8/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Great timely thread OP. It reminds me of the movie I am legend. This is gonna be a big one me thinks. If India has big issues this really will go global. All the pieces are falling into place for a real crap storm.

I wonder how many people are prepared to stay inside for long periods of time. This is what will happen if panic takes over and we are right on the edge of this happening in Europe.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

Thanks SubTruth. fyi - Despite the fact that people are now paying attention,

This epidemic has been "raging" since JANUARY - in regions with international mining operations staffed by people who travel all over the world. So if it was going to get out of Africa, trust me, it's already out.

The Ebola barn door has been open for 8 months already. ....I suspect the time for panic is well past.

Outbreak in West Africa

An Ebola epidemic that has been sweeping through West Africa since January has proven to be the most devastating single outbreak of the disease in history.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I believe we can be healed with vitamin C, I have however gone with citrus at home instead of purchased vitamins.

There's just something wrong in a bottle of vitamin C having the number one ingredient of sugar.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

Sugar isn't as bad as many people believe.

If it was so bad why would there be tons of the stuff on the planet?

If God was to have made this planet like it says in the Books, why would he give us Sugar if it was bad for us??

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

There is not "tons of" processed white sugar on the planet, or tons of high fructose corn syrup, or..... Honey and maple or agave syrup, or stevia are fine but processed white stuff, no. btw- processed simple carbs are bad too. ...You already know this stuff, right?

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I personally prefer honey. Very few vegans eat honey. I however consider it sharing just like I share maple syrup with trees. Stevia makes me nauseous and, I must have had too much tequila int life because I can taste it in my tea when I use agave.

So raw honey it is. I also prefer to use coconut palm sugar in my cooking. Processed white sugar may be good in small doses but I just feel better when I stay away.

I just don't see the need for sugar in most of the things its in. Please trust me when I say I'm a sugar crystal. I adore sweets. I want to enjoy the calories not have them hidden in foods.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
I believe we can be healed with vitamin C, I have however gone with citrus at home instead of purchased vitamins.

There's just something wrong in a bottle of vitamin C having the number one ingredient of sugar.

Totally Agree. Pill Popping is for Lazy People.

Let Food be Thy Medicine and Medicine be Thy Food - Hippocrates Quote. Get your vitamins from the food you eat. It's Best to boost your immune system now, not when TSHTF.

It's simple and effective to have lots of Living Foods in your diet - That's the Best Medicine.
Plenty of Fruits and Veg, along with Good Water, also cut down on the Meats - Especially the most Toxic like Chicken and Swine.

Those with the Weakest Immune Systems will be the First to go.

edit on Mon5086201480 by Dingo80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dingo80
....Those with the Weakest Immune Systems will be the First to go.

Actually, it's the opposite. The scary thing about the new flu's is that they kill the young and healthy via cytokine storms, leaving the elderly and infirm alive. Cytokine storms also play a role in Ebola, several other types of infections and autoimmune conditions.

Review of patient ages and outcomes reveals that H5N1 attacks are especially lethal in pre-adults and young adults, while older victims tend to have milder attacks and to survive.[35][36][37] This is consistent with the frequent development of a cytokine storm in the afflicted.[38] Few persons over 50 years of age seem to have become infected by H5N1, and very few have died after suffering an H5N1 attack.[39] Instead, the age-fatality curve of H5N1 influenza attacks in humans resembles that of the 1918 Spanish pandemic flu, and is the opposite of the mortality curve of seasonal flu strains, since seasonal influenza preferentially kills the elderly and does not kill by cytokine storm.

A cytokine storm is an overproduction of immune cells and their activating compounds (cytokines), which, in a flu infection, is often associated with a surge of activated immune cells into the lungs. The resulting lung inflammation and fluid buildup can lead to respiratory distress and can be contaminated by a secondary bacterial pneumonia—often enhancing the mortality in patients.

This little-understood phenomenon is thought to occur in at least several types of infections and autoimmune conditions, but it appears to be particularly relevant in outbreaks of new flu variants.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Well i'll be a Monkeys Uncle, that's very disturbing.

Thanks for the info.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 07:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dingo80

Well i'll be a Monkeys Uncle, that's very disturbing.

Thanks for the info.

You're welcome. There's more info on this at Ebola's Cytokine Storm: Protect Yourself.

posted on Aug, 25 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I think its the cytokine storms that has people declaring man made. I doubt we'll ever be happy with any evidence on the matter regardless so I don't worry too much about where it came from.

posted on Aug, 29 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
UPDATE

Multiple Vaccines in the Works Against Ebola

U.S. government scientists will start testing an experimental vaccine against Ebola in people next week, starting out with 20 healthy adults. The same vaccine, made by GlaxoSmithKline in collaboration with the National Institutes of Health, will be tested in the coming weeks in Britain, Gambia and Mali.

It’s one of several Ebola vaccines in the pipeline. Here are some others:

Canada’s VSV-EBOV: …..Experts say it works a little like the rabies vaccine, in that it protects both before and after exposure to the virus. It’s made using a virus called vesicular stomatitis virus (VSV).

Profectus Biosciences: …..also based on VSV. ……

Crucell: …….(to) protect against several strains of Ebola, as well as against Marburg, a related virus. ….the first tests will start in 2015 or early 2016.

Rabies-based vaccine: …..uses a genetically engineered version of the rabies virus to protect against rabies and Ebola at the same time. …..

Immunovaccine Inc.: ….uses immune stimulating protein from the Ebola virus plus compounds called adjuvants……

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   
The Ebola virus is mutating rapidly - the longer H2H transmission occurs, the more mutations will accumulate, and the more likely new strains will develop. This raises the specter of airborne transmission but most important, threatens the viability of new treatments and vaccines - all developed for specific strains. Point being, if new strains emerge, treatments and vaccines in development will be obsolete before production even starts.

The only real solution is to try and stop the epidemic in West Africa. Yes, it may be too late. But there's still a chance so we have to try - because NOT trying just guarantees failure.

The latest Ebola treatments, from plasma to ZMapp

top topics

join