It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Jay Nixon signs exec. order to send Missouri National Guard to Ferguson

page: 66
<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
BREAKING----

ST. LOUIS – One person is dead after an officer-involved shooting in north St. Louis.

The shooting happened near Riverview Boulevard and McLaran Avenue. No officers were injured.

The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.

NewsChannel 5 has a crew at the scene. This story will be updated as information becomes available.

From KSDK

ETA:

Retweeted by Faith Abubéy

Adrienne Broaddus @abroaddus · 5m

St. Louis city police have The victim's body behind orange barrier.

Fox is now reporting

(KTVI) – Authorities are responding to a report of an officer involved shooting in north St. Louis. It happened just before 1 p.m. Tuesday at Mclaren and Riverview outside a market.

Authorities say a man walked into a store and showed a knife.

The store owner says he got into a dispute with the man.

Police were called but the suspect refused to put down the weapon. He tried to attack police and was shot and killed.

We will bring you more details as they become available.

edit on 19-8-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: OptimusCrime

That post up there was a much more reasonable response, and you did lay your thoughts out clearly and added pictures to help your side of thinking.
I was upset with you last night, but it is a new day, and glad to see you made a better effort here today OC. While you still have your side to this. It is your right, and you did much better this time explaining your side to this.

I might not agree, but it was a good effort. So I give you an A for effort.
I can see how it could make sense to some in the way you lay it out. So I do not fully agree, but I can see where you are coming from at the very least.
edit on 23014512485 by zysin5 because: spelling edit

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: MyMindIsMyOwn
...according to this "martial law" can only be declared by the President of the US, not a Governor of a particular State.

That definition of martial law at the Legal Dictionary at Law.com seems to be a somewhat limited definition. There is a definition with a much more detailed discussion at the Legal Dictionary at The Free Dictionary.com that even includes a U.S. Supreme Court citation and references to other legal decisions.

Here are a few highlights that seem pertinent:

According to the Supreme Court, the term martial law carries no precise meaning (Duncan v. Kahanamoku, 327 U.S. 304, 66 S. Ct. 606, 90 L. Ed. 688 [1946]).

However, most declarations of martial law have some common features. Generally, the institution of martial law contemplates some use of military force. To a varying extent, depending on the martial law order, government military personnel have the authority to make and enforce civil and criminal laws.

In the United States, martial law has been instituted on the national level only once, during the Civil War, and on a regional level only once, during World War II. Otherwise, it has been limited to the states. Uprisings, political protests, labor strikes, and riots have, at various times, caused several state governors to declare some measure of martial law.

Martial law on the national level may be declared by Congress or the president.

On the state level, a governor may declare martial law within her or his own state. The power to do so usually is granted in the state constitution.

One of the laws Governor Nixon cited as authorizing him to call out the National Guard is Section 41.480 RSMo:

Organized militia when called to duty--martial law

So it seems the definition of martial law is not too precise, governors can declare it within their state, and activation of the National Guard in Missouri was done under the state's law authorizing the governor to call out the National Guard for martial law.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: zysin5

That post up there was a much more reasonable response, and you did lay your thoughts out clearly and added pictures to help your side of thinking.
I was upset with you last night, but it is a new day, and glad to see you made a better effort here today OC. While you still have your side to this. It is your right, and you did much better this time explaining your side to this.

I might not agree, but it was a good effort. So I give you an A for effort.
I can see how it could make sense to some in the way you lay it out. So I do not fully agree, but I can see where you are coming from at the very least.

Thank You. I had a little more time on my hands this morning to actually sit down complete a detailed post. I appreciate your thoughts and I'll try in the future to post more along the lines of the above, most recent post.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: jholt5638
I too would like to see 12 witness statements saying he charged the officer. Since the one's I have heard about are he was fleeing.

It's this female reporter who is claiming that:

Christine Byers ‏@ChristineDByers
Police sources tell me more than a dozen witnesses have corroborated cop's version of events in shooting #Ferguson

And other sources are quoting her.

But she has since said this:

Christine Byers @ChristineDByers
On FMLA from paper. Earlier tweets did not meet standards for publication.

So I wouldn't exactly take her word on it.
edit on 13Tue, 19 Aug 2014 13:50:31 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago8 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

Everyone reacts differently. You are entitled to your opinion based on your experiences, but don't make blanket statements on how someone should act. The fact is this: YOU WERE NOT THE ONE INVOLVED, SO YOU JUST DON'T KNOW.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

And what would the narrative be had this individual grabbed the officer's weapon and shot him. Think there would be riots then? This Sharpton or Jackson or Holder would be involved.

This is nothing but grandstanding by a liberal media and opportunists looking for face time.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Freenrgy2

No, the fact is it doesn't matter how amped up a person is, they are still responsible for their actions and that goes both ways, cop or crook.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps
BREAKING----

ST. LOUIS – One person is dead after an officer-involved shooting in north St. Louis.

The shooting happened near Riverview Boulevard and McLaran Avenue. No officers were injured.

NewsChannel 5 has a crew at the scene. This story will be updated as information becomes available.

From KSDK

ETA:

Fox is now reporting

(KTVI) – Authorities are responding to a report of an officer involved shooting in north St. Louis. It happened just before 1 p.m. Tuesday at Mclaren and Riverview outside a market.

Police were called but the suspect refused to put down the weapon. He tried to attack police and was shot and killed.

Wow... This seems soo familiar... Where have I heard this before???????? Seriously... This is starting to get obvious.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut

I 100% agree that they are responsible, just don't make some blanket statement on how every cop would or should act.

There's waaaaayyy too much quarterbacking going on right now. That's the thing with these highly-charged and very polarizing incidents...everyone will look at from their own personal beliefs and experiences and draw conclusions on what should have happened as a result.

If you or I weren't there in a first person situation, we can't know 100% for sure what happened and no amount of quarterbacking will change it.

Just let the investigation run its course.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Rumor of "Revolutionist-Communist" wanna starting a riot is true :O !

gawker.com...

They are old hippies looking people.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Taggart
Are there any stats around for the last few days, such as

The amount of people shot? Arrested and the likes.

I can find recaps all over the net, some not even describing what we saw on here
but nothing about charges or shootings.

August 13, 2014. One unidentified male was shot and critically wound. I've scoured for reports on this man's condition/identity to no avail. Couldn't find a single thing.
stlouis.cbslocal.com...

August 14, 2014. One was a student from Howard University. Grazed her head. She's okay.
www.wusa9.com...

August 18, 2014. Two shot last night. www.cbc.ca...

August 19, 2014. Man shot and killed while wielding a knife and yelling at police "Shoot me! Kill me now!".
www.cbc.ca...

To put that last one in perspective, a friend of mine's son (afghanistan vet w/ serious ptsd) just did the same thing on my street. He was screaming at the police to kill him, screaming about blowing things up and more in an attempt to provoke our local pd. The police backed up, did nothing and tasered him when he started hurting himself. His dad and my family are awfully thankful for the police here for using prudence and caution because this vet is troubled and is a very good guy. The kicker? The police here apologized to his dad for having to taser his son. That's how the same scenario as the bottom story plays out here in a significantly white middle class neighborhood and you bet, this vet was black. When I saw that headline, I actually panicked but the vet I know is still in care and a few years older. Sure made my heart stop though and my mind race.

As far as arrests go, coverage of that has been spotty. 31 last night though for sure.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: xxPUSH0Noo

BREAKING----

From KSDK

ETA:

Fox is now reporting

Wow... This seems soo familiar... Where have I heard this before???????? Seriously... This is starting to get obvious.

The only obvious thing is the guy was told to stop with the knife and charged police with it. He was within 3-4 feet of the officers before he was shot.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusCrime

BREAKING----

From KSDK

ETA:

Fox is now reporting

The only obvious thing is the guy was told to stop with the knife and charged police with it. He was within 3-4 feet of the officers before he was shot.

Yes, he was approaching the officers with the knife. My question, however, is doesn't the St. Louis PD have tasers? Same thing happened here last week (without the theft though) and my police just backed up and did nothing. It wasn't until he started harming himself that they tasered him.

www.kmov.com...

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: xxPUSH0Noo

Well this guy had a knife, so seems more clean.
It is hard to defend someone who walks up to cops with a knife.
They should just take away their tazers tho, seems those are only used for people 'resisting' or to stop some one from running.
Them being used as a less then lethal alternative seems to be gone with the wind.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:10 PM
link   

He walked, not charged. Big difference IMO.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Thank you for your breakdown, I was having trouble myself
sourcing last nights injuries and the aftermath.

That is an interesting story about the other vet, it just goes to show there are
many ways to do things and I'm pleased that cooler heads prevailed in that
case, if that area had the trouble like the trouble in Ferguson and the other vet acted that way
it's possible the usually cordially and polite police may have acted different.

Or again maybe not and that the PD where you are are just better trained or have better hiring practices.

Not essential to the topic but a question you may be able to answer as I'm in UK,
are all the Wages for the police the same for each state, Rank for Rank, or are they say
higher in NY or Chicago than in say Alaska? Or is set by the state?

If it's the same for each then I have nothing but if it varies then that would make an interesting study, if it hasn't been done already.
edit on 19-8-2014 by Taggart because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

He walked, not charged. Big difference IMO.

As long as you walk up to someone with a knife instead of run, then I assume they should just take it in the ass and not protect themselves.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FreeQuebec86
These are Barry's people. Van Jones and Bill Ayers. Here's a photo of one of the commie scum being arrested. Indefinite detention and water-boarding should apply for traitors like this. Then deport them to North Korea.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk...

edit on 19-8-2014 by Mikeultra because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-8-2014 by Mikeultra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: WhiteAlice

originally posted by: OptimusCrime

BREAKING----

From KSDK

ETA:

Fox is now reporting

Yes, he was approaching the officers with the knife. My question, however, is doesn't the St. Louis PD have tasers? Same thing happened here last week (without the theft though) and my police just backed up and did nothing. It wasn't until he started harming himself that they tasered him.

www.kmov.com...

They may have had pixie dust, they should have used that first. You don't want to admit any wrong doing by this crook and blame everyone on the cops. I really don't understand how you can process such thoughts. He had a nife, he was going toward offices with it after robbing a store.

top topics

<< 63  64  65    67  68  69 >>

join