It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gov. Jay Nixon signs exec. order to send Missouri National Guard to Ferguson

page: 65
<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: 00nunya00

originally posted by: WhiteAlice
a reply to: 00nunya00

According to this journalist tweet, two journalists were arrested about 20 minutes ago. One for intercept.com and another for Bild.de (German newspaper):

twitter.com...

Hmm, he says "detained" is the official term being used, sounds like they're doing everything short of booking and jailing reporters, just "detaining" them long enough to not be able to report anything. :/ Nice.

Thanks for the link!

As I’ve been trying to explain, the media does not have any more rights than the average American citizen as explained in the citing below from Cornell.

“Despite popular misunderstanding the right to freedom of the press guaranteed by the first amendment is not very different from the right to freedom of speech. It allows an individual to express themselves through publication and dissemination. It is part of the constitutional protection of freedom of expression. It does not afford members of the media any special rights or privileges not afforded to citizens in general.”

Source: www.law.cornell.edu...

This applies to the scenario currently being discussed in this forum as stated by the following:

“Traditional public forums include public parks, sidewalks and areas that have been traditionally open to political speech and debate.”

This does not include a private parking lot, or street unless the right to assemble on a public road has been granted. The media person, or persons, in this case were in a parking lot, which is not public domain or owned by the public.

Furthermore, “Sometimes, the government opens public property for public expression even though the public property is not a traditional public forum.”

Which they allowed the public to demonstrate on a public street, which was granted by the state and can be revoked if need be if trouble arises. At the end of the night, individuals were seen blockading the road with street signs and other various objects that had been illegally removed from areas and is cause for destruction of public property.

Theft,vandalism,destruction of public property to name a few charges. Also you can be charged with more serious charges if you remove a sign that results in injury to someone else, such as removing a stop sign. I don’t believe the person, or persons were arrested in this case but the roads were then cleared, most likely after discussion with the Police Chief or other officials overseeing the protest.

This is cause for police to decide to shut down the street to protests and clear the area and the media person, or persons, in question did not obey the request of the police, so they were detained.

Also, as Johnson said at the end of the night, regarding press coverage, things are going to change from now on and this is probably why:

“U.S. Supreme Court decision sustaining the Espionage Act of 1917. The Court ruled that freedom of speech and freedom of the press could be limited if the words in the circumstances created "a clear and present danger."

Which he felt it was as the cameras and bright lights were causing certain members of the protesting group to act with hate filled words, which were caught on camera as well as form groups and show dissent while media was recording.

Protesters were also carrying signs which read “ISIS is here”, which ISIS have been quoted as saying “We will drown all of you in blood” regarding US Citizens. This is not a part of a peaceful protest.

Here are the still frames form the night and the video also as I know there will be proof asks upon this post and I will provide that now.

Also, as the police were asking everyone to clear the roadway, press felt the need to continually disobey that order and continue to enter the street to get pictures and videos of people breaking the law, as shown in the pictures below:

After the media/protesters would not clear the roadway, canisters of tear gas/smoke where then deployed, after ample warning.

Still, protester decided to throw the object back in the direction of the police as shown in the evidence below, still not obeying the request of the police to exit and clear the roadway:

As you can see from the example below, police are trying to use as little force as possible as the situation unfolds:

As the cops continue to try to clear the area, the press put gas masks on and continue to walk into the street to film as you can see in the image below:

The canisters where being fired into the middle of the street and a photographer was hit with one, which I can only assume as to why, is because he was in the street, the reporters reporting from the sidewalks did not move and were not asked to at this point. They say they “All got hit by gas” which is expected in this type of environment as should not be shocking to anyone.

The same photographer who was hit with the tear gas explains his side of the story and why it happened. He even praises the good people of Ferguson who are not involved in this particular riot.

After all of this, the call must have been made to clear the scene in public interest and safety after gunshots were heard and confirmed where people were shot, this particular reporter did not obey that request and was detained and later released as far as I know.

As far as other reports being arrested or detained, they most likely violated police orders as seen in the proof of this thread.

[video] www.cnn.com...
edit on 8/19/2014 by OptimusCrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mikeultra
a reply to: EyesOpenMouthShut
He ran away at 1st, but according to witnesses he turned back around and charged at the officer. Like an elephant charges the hunter after being wounded. A head shot is the only thing that will stop that, not a taser.

Im not sure if you're serious or trolling

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
But doesn't the officer have the duty to apprehend the suspect? He doesn't just stop and say threat is over. The suspect could also be a threat to the public. Not the same as the average citizen.

It depends on all factors.

Just like police pursuits in a car external factors present must be considered. In this case an argument can be made that this person presented a danger to the community by his actions with the officer. Those factor are dependent upon departmental policy, officer discretion and supervisor actions, as well as those taken by the suspect.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:08 PM
link   

It's so easy to Monday morning quarterback this thing when you aren't directly involved and your adrenaline isn't flowing through your veins. I'm always taken aback by the way others suggest what this cop should have done or should have acted. When you are in any kind of situation where your adrenaline is flowing, the physiological changes are going to make you react differently that someone sitting behind a keyboard pretending to know how someone should feel and react in any given violent situation.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
anyway, What im getting at here is the typical officer has three non lethals on their person. a taser, a baton, and pepper spray. Not one of these were used before the guy was killed

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Does the officer have the option of just letting the person leave after the commission of assault on the officer?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freenrgy2

It's so easy to Monday morning quarterback this thing when you aren't directly involved and your adrenaline isn't flowing through your veins. I'm always taken aback by the way others suggest what this cop should have done or should have acted. When you are in any kind of situation where your adrenaline is flowing, the physiological changes are going to make you react differently that someone sitting behind a keyboard pretending to know how someone should feel and react in any given violent situation.

As a combat veteran I'm completely familiar with the effects of stress and adrenaline on a person in those situations.
Don't assume someone has no idea what they're talking about

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: EyesOpenMouthShut
anyway, What im getting at here is the typical officer has three non lethals on their person. a taser, a baton, and pepper spray. Not one of these were used before the guy was killed

I doubt any officer would go to pepper or stick after a fight over his weapon. An officer might enlighten us on that point.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Maybe they will, i just can't wrap my head around why murder is ok when a person without a weapon in their hand charges.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

You do not believe a person can inflict serious injuries with their hands and feet? What if they take the officer down and take his firearm?

edit on 8/19/2014 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Maybe they will, i just can't wrap my head around why murder is ok when a person without a weapon in their hand charges.

You should try not to interact with cops, if you don't understand that.
It is a bad idea to charge at anyone that is armed.... even if you are just out hunting with your buddy. It isn't really safe to do.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Are there any stats around for the last few days, such as

The amount of people shot? Arrested and the likes.

I can find recaps all over the net, some not even describing what we saw on here
but nothing about charges or shootings.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Taggart
Are there any stats around for the last few days, such as

The amount of people shot? Arrested and the likes.

I can find recaps all over the net, some not even describing what we saw on here
but nothing about charges or shootings.

nypost.com...

This was august 19th, I'm not sure about the rest of the days/nights.

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

It is a bad idea to charge at anyone that is armed.... even if you are just out hunting with your buddy. It isn't really safe to do.

That's kind of like saying don't wrestle a bear. The difference being that a bear is a wild animal. Are the police wild animals?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

I have to point out... there was a report that said the two did struggle for the weapon.

Without revealing what led to the dispute, Belmar said the preliminary investigation showed that the Ferguson officer tried to exit his vehicle, but Brown pushed him back into the car, "where he physically assaulted the police officer" and struggled over the officer's weapon, Belmar said.

CNN

that version is corroborated by both sides... Mr. Brown and the officer already had one physical altercation, at least two punches to the officers head, before the officer could exit his car. then the wrestling for control of the gun.... before the fatal shot was fired.

So the gun was already in play... he did not simply draw his weapon and shoot an unarmed man.

in my mind that changes things... this wasn't an execution--- it was a fight...

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Ya that is the police chief telling the police side of the story...
And how is it corroborated by both sides?

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel

You do not believe a person can inflict serious injuries with their hands and feet? What if they take the officer down and take his firearm?

Apparently the officer is expected to just sit there and get assaulted again, and allow his firearm to be taken from him, so then he can be shot, and possibly killed.

That is the mentality that some of these people exhibit, if you can even believe it. You can't make this nonsense up.

Apparently Law Enforcement also is expected to just stand there while gun shots and Molotov Cocktails are fired in their direction. ~$heopleNation

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Orwells Ghost

originally posted by: butcherguy

That's kind of like saying don't wrestle a bear. The difference being that a bear is a wild animal. Are the police wild animals?

I guess you missed the part about hunting.
Firearms are dangerous if mishandled.
Anyone holding a firearm should be left alone. You shouldn't try to trip them as a funny joke, you shouldn't tackle or tickle them. AND you shouldn't try to fight them. Accidents can happen.

Oh yeah, a cop might just shoot you if you charge at him when he has his gun in his hand and he tells you to stop.
ETA:
See the video at this ATS Post if you want to see why a cop might shoot an unarmed person....
edit on bu312014-08-19T13:13:20-05:0001America/ChicagoTue, 19 Aug 2014 13:13:20 -05001u14 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

From the same source...

Dorian Johnson, 22, told CNN that he and Brown were walking in the middle of the street when a white male officer pulled up and told them, "Get the f*** on the sidewalk." The young men replied that they were "not but a minute away from our destination, and we would shortly be out of the street," Johnson said.

The officer drove forward but stopped and backed up, almost hitting the pair, Johnson said.

"We were so close, almost inches away, that when he tried to open his door aggressively, the door ricocheted both off me and Big Mike's body and closed back on the officer," Johnson said.

Still in his car, the officer then grabbed Brown by his neck, Johnson said. Brown tried to pull away, but the officer kept pulling Brown toward him, he said.

The officer drew his weapon, and "he said, 'I'll shoot you' or 'I'm going to shoot' " and almost instantaneously fired his weapon, hitting Brown, Johnson said.

okay so we have to different versions of what happened in the end... but both stories say it started when the officer drove up, confronted Mr. Brown and that's when the initial fight began... in the car...

what happens after---well who's to say what the real truth is... But I'm sure your not going get it MSNBC or FOX

posted on Aug, 19 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Johnson, who was with Brown, stated the Brown struggled with the officer while the officer was in the vehicle.

edit:

was late getting it in. Something happened.
edit on 8/19/2014 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join