It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the green flame

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Why bring the fuel to the party when it's already there!

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Although it's name gets mixed in with things like Flacon, Blackswift, sr-72 (which I don't think it is in regards to the SR-72) Wasn't the "Cancelled" HTV-3X supposed to be able to launch small payloads into Low Earth Orbit? It's pretty small for what they were trying to get it to accomplish. It's got a scramjet hybrid engine like other speculated about birds (but it probably brings with it some sort of oxidizer to fuel it once its up too high- hence it's ability to do low earth orbit or bounce around on top of the atmosphere). But it's seemingly a much newer engine design. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few groups interested in using this speculated about new engine in older model birds (even ones with a seemingly different mission) to upgrade them and eliminate certain pesky tale tell signatures. I wouldn't be surprised if the Cancelled program wasn't cancelled and works better then they anticipated. I wouldn't be surprised if we do have a SSTO vehicle that doesn't require huge amounts of fuel. Even if it "Doesn't Exist"

edit on 18-3-2015 by BASSPLYR because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   

It's used as the first stage. Similar to how the Orbital L1011 and B-52 with the Pegasus rocket. Only it gets faster and higher than they do.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

I thought the whole point of the HTV-3x wwas that it can roll down a runway on it's own take off do what the HTV-2 could do then land on it's own. Basically a low earth orbit space plane. Know what lets change the subject. Any body going to stay up this evening and sky watch for whatever Penroc was talking about? I might watch the north west section of the sky for an hour this evening while I BBQ on my patio tonight. Probably won't see anything haven't in a few months.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Not true LEO, more like SpaceShip One, with the ability to launch from there.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:11 PM
link   

what ever happened with the NASA/LM SSTO project?

BASSPLYR:
its soo cloudy here...bummer. Like i said last week was shocking to see something bobbing across the sky fast enough if i didn't see it i would have missed it.

my last sighting before that was on a wed. and like i said theres allot of stuff going on in the middle east right now and with Russia moving Iskander and other nuclear assets in to Ukraine it would make sense to me to have little look seeing as they are all on mobil launchers.

what good are spy planes if you don't use them.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Going off on a bit of a tangent here..
3D printed rocket engines.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: penroc3

Turned out to be a lot harder than they expected.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Spaceship one flew higher than the Karman line. That's good enough for me. Plus you know what that means if it's speculated to fly higher than the Karman line. Even if detected nothing the bad guys can legally do about it, it's not violating any laws.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

but not undo-able? or just not worth the cost? with all the mini sat launched from fighter jet talks, it seems between the mini sat and normal rocket launches a SSTO would be kind of redundant

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Sadly it's fogged over in LA too.

Oh well still gunna BBQ tonight n drink a few beers. Should I go with a rib eye or some NY cut? Can't afford either but who cares it's nice to grill something.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   

i had my self some BBQ tonight brisquite and ribs with corn bread.. so i say NY strip.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   

but not undo-able? or just not worth the cost? with all the mini sat launched from fighter jet talks, it seems between the mini sat and normal rocket launches a SSTO would be kind of redundant

Also there has been a lot of work in 3D printing of satellite parts in space by larger Sats which will be a lot more cost efficient than launching from Atmosphere.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

how do they resupply the stock for what there 3d printing? seems pretty cool. do you have any links i could check out?

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Resupply would be the same as in the ISS.Most of the home owner systems today are the extruded plastic wire type so its virtually the same as replacing a roll of MIG welding wire.Uploading designs is the same as just sending an email.

3D printed parts in space

Overview of 3D printed parts
edit on 18-3-2015 by Blackfinger because: added a link

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   

SS1 total pile of trash. flimsy design built at cheapest possible cost and shoots str8 up and falls down to earth, no sorry.

Branson totally failed here, heres the smart play...

Call Boeing, which bought Rockwell, which bought NAA, say give me the X-15 plans, then make it a 6 seater. There ya go, just saved you $500M Branson and its faster, its higher and it is actually in space flying, not falling.

Sometimes I really dont understand what these people are doing.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   

01:45 bright white/blue object sighted.

at first i thought it was a planet. then it started bobbing and weaving and doing loops. 3ed time seeing this behavior.

i don't own a good camera(still) i do own a handicam what is the a good way for night photography where i can get a reference and still get what i need.

i have a tripod but I'm not very say with cameras and there settings. any pro tips for taking pics of high flying stuff at night?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Unless you have NV gear, video cameras aren't that great at capturing quality shots of anything in the sky unless it is fairly bright. There are some camera out there that can do it but are fairly pricey.
Another way is to learn the setting on your camera so that you can, at a moments notice, set it to a timed exposure (most digital camera will do some sort of short interval timed exposures), have it already attached to a tripod and let it capture the object with a timed exposure. Make sure not to move the camera while the exposure is being taken. If you get good at this you can get a shot off in a relatively short time if your prepared.
The image it captures will show the object as a trail, which can give good info into how fast the object was actually moving and in what relative direction it was traveling, as well as color and overall brightness. Be sure to have the zoom wide enough to capture foreground objects if possible so distances can be calculated easier.
Also record all of the camera's setting and model number at the time of exposure and your physical position.
If all else fails take a daytime picture of where you saw the object and hand draw what you saw on the photo.
Hope this helps next time you see something.

edit on 19-3-2015 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Question was the star traveling across the horizon? Or was it stationary and simply bobbing around? If it was stationary it could have been eye fatigue.

That being said. I remember almost ten years ago doing sky watching and seeing a faint blue star travel from horizon to horizon very quickly. It was during the work week usually around 8pm going outbound in the winter. Traveling west out over the ocean. Then around 10 or 11 I would see the same light but coming back inland along the same course like it was returning to it's base or something. Looked very,very high up. Thought at first ISS or satellite. But it would occasionally do something very interesting. It would wink out and instantly reappear much further along on its path across the sky. Literally jump a quarter of the skyline and then keep going. One time when it reappeared after it made a jump almost halfway across the sky it was traveling at a 90 degree angle to it's original course. When it reappeared traveling 90 degrees different it also made a momentary bright blue streak and then continued on. One time I saw it cross the sky like normal no jumps or anything just going really fast. About 2/3 the way across it started to slalom left and right. At the apex of each curve it would cast of a faint shower of sparks or something similar. That was the last time I saw it. When you mentioned your blue star doing weird maneuvers it reminded me of this. Wonder if whatever that was is still around doing whatever it does.

Either way keep watching the skies. Never know maybe you'll see it again and be able to report back to us.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

originally posted by: StratosFear
So the other day my mother causally mentions on the phone a strange green light she has seen a few times over SE Davidson county TN. while smoking outside in the evening. So after the interrogation that didn't have to lead to waterboarding thankfully, she describes it as not streaking like a meteor does but just a very fast moving point of green light. Seems the times she sees it are between 9pm-11pm CST doesn't know what direction it came from or was going, installed compass on balcony.

EDIT: changed my mind after mapping.

BTW a great circle route from Las Vegas to Baghdad passes right over central/east Ukraine. A two-fer, right?

It looks like Nashville comes close to the flight path of something coming out of southern NV and going over several hotspots and areas of interest through the ME and into Asia. Had something been going over Ukraine I would think its flight path would be further north than my neck of the woods.
edit on 19-3-2015 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-3-2015 by StratosFear because: Not sure whats up with the text.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17  18 >>

join