It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is it you are more likely to dismiss evolution If you are an American?.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: kx12x

I agree believe what you want but don't put religion into science class.
Education is the best way to solve many of mans problems.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: boymonkey74
a reply to: Bluesma

Thing is Catholicism accepts evolution.

io9.com...

The problem with their view is that they believe in a hands off approach .. but that God, after billions of years of the hands off approach, then intervened at Adam and Eve.

Actually that would be untrue. The Catholic Church holds that some of the bible including the book of Genesis is allegory, not intended to be taken literally. Whereas certain protestant denominations take the entirety of the bible to be literal truth.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

True. On that same note, there is no need to put down the religious, and vice versa. Bigotry doesn't look good on anyone.

But yeah, maybe one of these centuries we'll figure out exactly how things went down before man/life.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: KeliOnyx

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

a reply to: Bluesma

Thing is Catholicism accepts evolution.

io9.com...

The problem with their view is that they believe in a hands off approach .. but that God, after billions of years of the hands off approach, then intervened at Adam and Eve.

Actually that would be untrue. The Catholic Church holds that some of the bible including the book of Genesis is allegory, not intended to be taken literally. Whereas certain protestant denominations take the entirety of the bible to be literal truth.

Yes. One thing they do NOT take to be allegory is Adam being the first man. They say Adam evolved from a chimp, but that he was the only man to do so. Doesn't make much sense.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Why not? If they intrude on education and state run affairs I will fight against them.
The outright lies the ID crowd have shown (also proved in court) is what I fight against.
Ever seen ID on trial?.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

No one says adam evolved from a chimp we just share a relative along the way.
Also proved by genetics.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

No one says adam evolved from a chimp we just share a relative along the way.
Also proved by genetics.

Which has literally nothing to do with my post. Saying Adam evolved from a common ancestor of the chimps, but Adam was the only one to evolve into a human from this common ancestor is simply a waste of space, it does not alter the meat of the post at all.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   

We can all be fools but even the foolish say profound things sometimes.

Is what he is saying in the video wrong and why?.

Yes. Basically all scientists for a very long time were raised as creationists and they turned out just fine. As to what he says I can't hear at work, most videos I can't.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
a reply to: robbeh

I'm going to disregard the fact that your reply was basically one really long run-on sentence and pretend that it's not completely lacking proper grammar and punctuation...but, seriously? Who are you to say that people who have faith are idiots? Personally, I don't necessarily believe in God, however, I'm not so deluded that I think I'm above those who do. I can say with absolute certainty that if I was going to go off on a rant about how a large group of people are idiots, I would do more to make myself look smarter than those I was insulting.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   

a reply to: pennydrops

I like to romanticise about reincarnation I think it is fun to do but do I believe it nope.
Evolution is not bio genesis and this isn't about that.
I have said many times before my thoughts on religion but I will say it again.
Religion is another mans version of God, If you fall for a religion you are not using your god given mind to find the real truth.
Look around the world and see what religion is doing to humanity just figure it out yourself and keep it to yourself.
The thing what ATS has taught me is even with facts in front of their faces people will still dismiss them because it goes against their religious background.

Thats a great ides, keep it to yourself.
I just wish some would learn to deal with anger and keep their opinions and beliefs about evolution to themselves.
I find it strange you come on to this part of the forum and vent your opinion in a rather nasty way.

You are religious in your views as much as anyone.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Why not? If they intrude on education and state run affairs I will fight against them.
The outright lies the ID crowd have shown (also proved in court) is what I fight against.
Ever seen ID on trial?.

What gives you the right to deny the simple fact is the world looks like it was designed, not chance.

Evolution does not answer many questions, yet you would deny anyone asking those questions.
Stop, take a deep breath and realise that you are not able to change any ones mind.

I will teach creation and the faults of evolution and you cant stop that, as I wont stop you teaching what I call your faith.

You dont own education, you dont own other peoples minds

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: borntowatch

The good thing is education is helping people turn away from creationism.
You can teach what you like in a religious study class but to teach it on any science class is wrong.
Faith has no evidence. ..science does.
Oh and go cry me a river poor poor christians lol give me a break.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Also what is morally right for any nation?.
To teach science backed with evidence or to teach something as science backed up by nothing more than faith and a very old book?.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   

There's no doubt that Christianity has influenced the development of Western civilisation, and that many of the greatest scientific discoveries have been made by Christian scientists. However, where these men (and women) went looking for signs of the Christian god; what they unmistakenly ended up finding were completely natural processes which all inevitably succeeded to explain how the universe, Earth and our species all became what they are now.

Studies clearly show that the more scientifically literate the population of any given nation is, the less likely it is that the people are religious.
Secularization, higher education & religiousity

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   

So if someone is passionate about something it equals religious? Nope.
I think the answers to my question s have been answered and unfortunately my suspicions were correct.
It is solely the religiou Americans whom dismiss evolution even though the rest of the worlds religious mostly accept it.
Shame reaaly but in a generatipn or so it will be much better.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

On phone be back tmr after work.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
I would answer the question in the OP as follows, Creationism mixed with sensationalized media. Its not just the education that is dumbing down our society, the media SPECIFICALLY catered to tell you what you want to hear regardless if it is correct or not is also dumbing us down. It is discouraging people from thinking outside the box. By be able to tune out all dissenting opinions, you start to believe anything no matter how outrageous.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Very good point I think the media has dumbed down a lot of things maybe it is because the average person doesn't have much interest in science I dunno but how do we stop it?.

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: kx12x
a reply to: Expat888

Ahaha!..Don't insult my intelligence.

Science is always changing. One week, something might be thought to be true, then not the next. Evolution, while most likely true, isn't 100% proven. In other words, science itself evolves. So, take your arrogance somewhere else.

Evolution is proven, fact, theory in science means proven model, testable. It does not mean hyopthesis.

Yes, science adjust based on facts and new findings, but since its introduction, ToE is proven and accepted model.

I don't think that this has anything to do with intelligence as you put it, but rather with education. Dr. Tyson had nice speech where he points that there is close connection with education and evolution. Higher your education, less likely you will believe in fairy tales. He said that 7% of top scientist believe in creationism, which is 7% too much!

Very good point I think the media has dumbed down a lot of things maybe it is because the average person doesn't have much interest in science I dunno but how do we stop it?.

I blame it on what they call 'Sunday school' - they lie to kids to create new generation followers... IMHO this is equal to child abuse...

edit on 14-8-2014 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Well the answer circles back around to education. If you aren't teaching critical thinking in school, then people won't use it when they become adults and will insulate themselves from facts and evidence that disagrees with their world view. They will then teach this irresponsible behavior to their kids and the cycle continues.

Critical thinking is hard. It requires effort to train for and properly utilize; and people are notoriously lazy.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join