It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Voter I.D. Law in North Carolina Stands !

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
So, as usual, in these cases, we see that the effort is not about insuring one citizen/one vote, but is really about changing the rules of the election process and targeting certain groups for disenfranchisement, etc.

It's not merely about race, and I've never claimed it is. It's about the State governments that are Republican-controlled desperately trying to fight the losing battle of staying in power and depriving United States citizens of their rights while doing it.

I'm so saddened to see all the "smaller guvment crowd" touting these kinds of massive government interference in the rights of American citizens whenever it fits their own political beliefs and agendas.

While I wholeheartedly agree with your entire post, I excerpted the above quote because I believe it perfectly describes what we're seeing in a nut-shell and the negative karma being created by these GOP initiatives is going to come back to bite them in the ass, really soon.

IMO, all of these GOP initiatives to reduce early voting and institute voter ID laws in the states they currently control is going to back-fire and will only hurt them come election time.

For starters, the fact that election officials will now have to inspect each voter's ID, make a determination with respect to it's validity for voting purposes, (some IDs will not be accepted) compare the information on the ID to the voter's registration form and county records and make sure that the photo on the ID matches the voter possessing it. All this will only lengthen the amount of time required to process each voter. Not to mention the amount of time that will be required to address challenges made by voters who are not allowed to vote. Couple that with the fact that they're also reducing the number of early voting days and you have the perfect recipe for what will probably be the longest voting lines in american history.

Now ask yourself, "who is more willing to stand in line all day to vote, republicans or democrats?"

According to long held GOP philosophy, democrats are just a bunch of "takers." The 47%ers. Remember, they're the ones who refuse to work and opt instead to spend their time standing in lines to sign up to draw unemployment, food stamps, subsidized public housing, earned income tax credits and any other form of welfare available. And all this is only made possible due to the diligent efforts of hard working, tax-paying, republicans who can barely afford the elevator they park their cars on because of over-taxation.

Now who do you think is going to stand in those lines?

I'm a retired lifelong democrat who, (despite what republicans would have you believe) worked full time and paid my taxes for over 33yrs. prior to retirement and I can tell you that I have nothing better to do than take as much time as possible when I go to vote in my red state with it's new voter ID laws.

I plan on taking as many IDs as I can muster and I plan on presenting them one at a time for inspection and rejection, then after I've delayed the process as much as possible, I'll whip out my state issued ID and vote. Then when I leave, I'll smile at every republican I pass on the way out and tell them that "seeing how you caused it, I hope you enjoy your wait."

We'll just see how much of their own medicine these republicans can tolerate.

edit on 10-8-2014 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Well, the political winds favor that trend ... just watch out for the rest of the package.

Here's a useful (and purely factual) summary of the situation nationwide:

Voter Identification Requirements

However, I still maintain that given the excruciatingly well-documented evidence that in-person voter fraud is miniscule, these additional efforts are a foolish waste of the People's resources and is driven by the political agendas associated with the right-wing and Republican Party in this country.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

This is about voter identification laws, not poll taxes.

The Supreme Court has never ruled on voter identification as any law that places a monetary burden on obtaining voter identification is struck down at lower levels. Keep your panic pants on as no one is ever going to have to pay to obtain their voter identification.

edit on 10-8-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66
I am nether right wing or a Republican but I am part of the 70% (give or take) of United States citizens that want voter identification to become mandatory. Only citizens should vote.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Arkansas ID costs $5 and you must have a ID to vote. A poll tax.

Missouri has voter ID and a ID costs $11

I have a ID and don't have a problem with the law other than my two elderly neighbors don't have a ID and as far as there concerned they no long have the right to vote.
edit on 10-8-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-8-2014 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flatfish

I'm a retired lifelong democrat who, (despite what republicans would have you believe) worked full time for over 33 yrs. at my job prior to retirement and I can tell you that I have nothing better to do than take as much time as possible when I go to vote in my red state with it's new voter ID laws.

I plan on taking as many IDs as I can muster and I plan on presenting them one at a time for inspection and rejection, then after I've delayed the process as much as possible, I'll whip out my state issued ID and vote. Then when I leave, I'll smile at every republican I pass on the way out and tell them that "seeing how you caused it, I hope they enjoy your wait."

We'll just see how much of their own medicine these republicans can tolerate.

LOL, I don't disagree with your sentiments.

I first voted in 1984. I voted against Reagan. I then voted for Bush I, for Clinton twice and Obama once.

By the way, in Georgia, all the way back to 1984 I had to show ID to vote. So not only are these transparent efforts misguided, they're misinformed.

Good luck with your "civil disobedience."

edit on 11Sun, 10 Aug 2014 11:19:13 -050014p112014866 by Gryphon66 because: Deleted irrelevant info.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
I am nether right wing or a Republican but I am part of the 70% (give or take) of United States citizens that want voter identification to become mandatory. Only citizens should vote.

I appreciate your sentiments, but as I and others have pointed out repeatedly, these efforts, which ARE by an 89% or so margin sponsored by right-wingers and/or Republicans who DO have an obvious agenda aimed at disenfranchisement for which a new Voter ID is merely the first in a long line of steps.

In-person voter fraud has been proven time after time after time so statistically rare so as to be utterly insignificant.

These efforts are a waste of money (and thus anathema to true fiscal conservatives) if the real goal were sanctity of the vote, which of course, is not the purpose.
edit on 11Sun, 10 Aug 2014 11:10:57 -050014p112014866 by Gryphon66 because: Added the word rare.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

welfare fraud has been greatly exaggerated by the media.
www.theatlantic.com...

agreetodisagree.bangordailynews.com...

a small minority of those who receive benefits are recorded to have committed welfare fraud.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire
Arkansas ID costs $5 and you must have a ID to vote. A poll tax.

Do you even bother to educate yourself? This law was found un-Constitutional.

Missouri has voter ID and a ID costs $11

Uh, no they do not.

I have a ID and don't have a problem with the law other than my two elderly neighbors don't have a ID and as far as there concerned they no long have the right to vote.

Yes they do so stop being a hysteric.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 01:22 PM
link   

I appreciate your sentiments, but as I and others have pointed out repeatedly, these efforts, which ARE by an 89% or so margin sponsored by right-wingers and/or Republicans who DO have an obvious agenda aimed at disenfranchisement for which a new Voter ID is merely the first in a long line of steps.

They may be sponsored by 'right-wingers' but the vast majority of the populace wants them. We local elections can come down to a few votes I think it is prudent to require people to present identification.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
a reply to: XTexan

Then if you are willing to get used to it then get ready to get used to a whole lot more, again exactly what your quote is warning against. So get rid of that quote and just put "get used to it", it will more accurately describe your position.
I guess I see what your are getting at in your hypothetical situation but your are still mixing rights with non rights.
But yes if somehow you ruled that an ID check was discriminatory then you could go after other ID checks under the same guise.

Also, what you call privileges I call the actions of a free person. The pursuit of life, liberty, and justice.

I have used the ole pursuit of life liberty and happiness defense a couple times to but this is a rather broad use of it. Pretty much saying you have the right to do what ever you want in the pursuit.. I see what you are getting at tho, can't say i 100% disagree.
Very liberal/anarchist of ya

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: HauntWok
a reply to: WeAreAWAKE

The numbers of actual voter fraud is minuscule, tiny, insignificant.

I know conservatives are terrified of absolutely everything, but solving a problem that doesn't really exist with a solution that only creates more problems than it solves isn't a solution at all.

Then don't worry about it. And besides, anyone legal can easily get an ID.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Says who? the people running the organize fraud election?

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: amfirst1

Says who? the people running the organize fraud election?

What are you talking about, referring to, etc.?

Gonna have to give me a little bit more than you did ... my psychic powers have been run down since I won that lot'ry back in 07. Won ten whole dollars on that one.

(Seriously, which of my 20 or so posts in this thread are you on? Or did you (hoping) reply to me by mistake?)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Maybe voter fraud isn't prosecuted for a reason?
I had no idea that it was happening in my community until I happened to get involved in looking at voter rolls from past elections. Imagine my total shock when I saw that my aunt had voted in 6 elections after her death! I twisted myself into a pretzel to try to NOT believe that this could happen but in the end, there was nobody in that district that had a strange name like hers. When I went back and looked at the people who were the officials in charge of those elections---every officer in the polling place knew my aunt personally and should have reacted when someone came in using that name since she was well-known in the community. The only reasonable thing left for me to believe is that they were part of the fraud. doing what they were told to do on election day.
When I went to the court clerk and showed them the evidence---wouldn't you think they would be concerned that a person long dead was right there on the rolls? Nope, the clerk looked at me and said, "Well, mistakes happen." Pointing out to him that one of the officials in one of the elections was a classmate of my aunt for 12 years and lived less than half a mile from her and knew her to be dead and yet signed off on allowing someone using her name to vote was fraud---pure and simple---didn't fly with him. "Mistakes happen." was his only reply. He didn't even seem surprised or upset so I had to conclude that he was well aware of the scheme.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Just out of curiosity, what kind of elections did your "undead aunt" vote in?

As I say, just curious because you're talking about election fraud not voter fraud, as your implication is that the workers at the polling place, as well as the court clerk, are somehow "in on it." Do you live in Stepford, by any chance?

New Voter ID requirements? Wouldn't touch election fraud.
edit on 21Sun, 10 Aug 2014 21:14:57 -050014p092014866 by Gryphon66 because: Fixed.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I find it disappointing that this is even an issue. It says a lot about a society. It is sad that you need a picture ID for anything...expect the most important thing of all....your country's future!

This should be a non-issue. The folks that are trying to make this into an issue need to be put under the magnifying glass. I think you will find ulterior motives are at work.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Just out of curiosity, what kind of elections did your "undead aunt" vote in?

As I say, just curious because you're talking about election fraud not voter fraud, as your implication is that the workers at the polling place, as well as the court clerk, are somehow "in on it." Do you live in Stepford, by any chance?

New Voter ID requirements? Wouldn't touch election fraud.

She "voted" in three primary elections and three general elections, one of them a presidential election.
Could you explain to me the difference between "election fraud" and "voter fruad"? I'm asking because there has to be a "voter" posing as the dead person. That would mean that "voter" was committing fraud when they gave my dead aunt's name. I agree that it is also "election fraud" because those charged with keeping the elections honest didn't carry out their obligations.
Yes, I believe the whole crew was "in on it" because they knew the woman---for 50 years or more, she was the only person in the county with that particular name. There is no other reasonable explanation, at least to me or to the other people (about 2 dozen of us) who dug into this. That particular case was the only one we felt we could "prove" was fraud simply because of the uniqueness of her name. There were clearly other "dead" people who had voted when we began looking more closely but if your name is a common one, excuses can be found easily.
This was, by the way, just the tip of the iceberg when we actually began paying attention and digging into the corruption that was running rampant in our courthouse. The clerk eventually went to jail for other violations of the law that could be more easily proven by the Attorney General's office. But the local "good ole boys club" that was in power at that time did everything within their power in attempts to stop the AG's prosecution.
Thankfully, the majority of the people in the county saw the reality of the corruption and turned the whole bunch out in the next election cycle.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   

A History of Voter Fraud

Vote fraud has been a long-standing tradition in Democrat-controlled North Carolina. For example, in 2012 the Democrat-controlled NC State Board of Elections (SBOE) openly, blatantly violated state election law by partnering with the Obama administration in offering illegal online voter registration. The corrupt administration of Democratic Governor Beverly Purdue—who declined to seek a second term rather than face a certain punishing defeat by McCrory in 2012—did nothing.

Participating in Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach’s “Crosscheck” [PDF] program, North Carolina’s new GOP-led SBOE matched 765 voters registered in both NC and another state with the exact name, DOB and last four digits of SSN of those who voted in both states in the 2012 election. They found a total of 35,750 matching with the exact name and DOB who voted in two states in 2012 (many states don’t provide SSN information). They also found 13,416 deceased voters on the voter rolls, some of whom have come back from the dead to vote.

REVEALED: The Democrat Party's Secret Playbook for Stealing Elections

Got a Match ?

or do you use a Lighter ?

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Someone presenting themselves as another person in order to cast a vote is in-person voter fraud. (Almost statistically non-existent).

Any other situation, including rigged machines, corrupt poll workers, etc. is election fraud.

Laws which change Voter ID do nothing to change election fraud.

Surely there were national or at least local news reports on this issue when the majority of the people saw the corruption ... can you cite any of those so that we can follow up on the story?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join