It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost my job, and both my parents within two months. Seeking advice.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   
If you live somewhere people want to go, you can 'Airbnb' rooms or parts of your home like a Bed and Breakfast.. www.airbnb.com...

If you live near a major city, and need a job, and they are there, you can work for a company called Uber as a driver. Usually, you can rent a car from someone, just go to the office, and no experience necessary.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I lost both my parents also; not so close apart though. In the beginning is tough but will feel better as time goes by..

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

Very sorry to read your story, our hearts go out to you from the UK. Do you know if your parents left either a will or had anyh insurance policies that you have not come across?

I see you are 29 and it is an age where a lot of people make huge changes in their lives and the one thing you do have now is freedom to make choices you may not have had in the past. There is a lot of good advice on the thread and we hope you are able to decide what to do. Good luck and don't be afraid to have a cry or vent yhour sadness, we are all human.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Kevinquisitor

You have gotten some very good advice here. College with grants and whatever scholarships you can find might be the best short term plan. If you aren't opposed to the military,as has been said, the USAF is a good safe (usually) way to go. most jobs don't involve carrying guns, so it's more like a job than being a soldier.

But you don't have failure as an option. This is all you. It's time to dig deep, and grab your opportunity with both hands. Keep a super positive attitude, and don't let any negativity set you back. I hope to hear a success thread very soon. Good luck!

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:05 AM
link   

I am very sorry for your loss. With that being said I completely understand. Last year my mother died May 2 My Dad followed July 11. But it did not stop there. Sept 21st the police came to my door to inform me that my little sister (Anitra Williams) was murdered by her husband who then killed himself, leaving us with two kids to raise.

minnesota.cbslocal.com...

Following our 4th funeral in 5 months I lost my job as well. I was at wits end.

I said all that to say that to say that if you are spiritual...lean on that. Sometimes it will seem like all you have left. Find you dream and follow it. Why not?

Big hugs.

www.facebook.com...
www.facebook.com...
www.facebook.com...

posted on Aug, 8 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   
No offense i think you're lazy!
Im in Australia, maybe we are different, But when people are desperate as you are, they make a sign and stand near a highway, this has 100% success rate and is often on the news.

When i was 13 years old, i used to door knock with my parents mower and a bucket full of car wash, wax, sponges the lot and mow and wash cars! As soon as i made $100 id stop and go hire a super Nintendo system with games for the weekend, and buy myself lollies and junk.
Stop being negative and lazy.
edit on 8-8-2014 by muSSang because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Libertygal

I agree with a lot of your post. There are some states that foreclose and evict at a much faster pace. Some southern states act quickly.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: muSSang

I see where you are going with this post, do you think the situation is really comparable? Funeral costs, a volatile economy that leaves jobs unpredictable and a past due mortgage are not the same as renting a Nintendo and buying junk food with $100.00.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kevinquisitor
Thank you for your replies,

To answer some questions I have some college education left unfinished. I still have two years left on my bachelor's in Science for game design.

My professional background lies in customer service and sales so that's where I'm headed back to currently. It's not something I really enjoy doing but I'll take to do anything I can right now.

I would love to travel abroad, maybe obtain a TEFL certification in teaching English in another country. But first i need to tie up everything on this end. I have no ties to my parents house as far as utilities are concerned.

Also, I don't have any siblings, I am the only offspring of my parents.

Hope this provides some insight. I really like the idea of returning to school.

HI, WOW that really sucks .... # happens in life ...... Just this week I was talking to my sister about teaching English in China .... If I was 29 and not ties in today's world I would probably do TEFL somewhere .....

take care .... keep your chin up .... keep moving forward ....

as far as the bank goes it is probably a dead issue unless there is an insurance policy to pay it off .... that doesn't mean that the bank won't try to screw you if they can .....

if you need to IM me ....

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Since you have experience in over the phone customer service, look into getting involved with the Energy Deregulation going on in New York. Most companies 'require' that you have experience specific to energy deregulation (one of those you need experience to get an entry level job sort of things), but if you can find the right company and speak with the right rep you may have a good chance to get into the business.

Power Lower

If you (or anyone reading this) DO decide to check into it, be sure that you are fully read up and able to at least convince whoever you talk to that you aren't wasting their time BEFORE you make any kind of contact. If you were handling EA customer service then I'm sure you can handle Energy Deregulation.

My deepest condolences for your losses, but above all keep your head up and try hard to stay positive. Dealing with legal issues you will encounter people who don't give a damn how heavy your burden may be, you just have to power through it sometimes. You don't know me from Joe Blow on the street, but I've lived through just about every tragedy that one can experience living in a country like the USA. If you want an outside opinion or just want to vent about life, shoot me a PM anytime.

Godspeed, good sir.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: etombo

$100 in 1993 was alot of money and if i could do that at 13.................
A guy was in the same boat as the Op, he made a sign sat by the highway, he was inundated with job offers! All im saying is get of your ass.

posted on Aug, 9 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   
Go to meetup.com, find some local groups that do things you are interested in, usually they are free. Meet people.

With parents gone, if you don't have a family, you are now pretty free.

You could look into permaculture and self sustainability. Learn to grow your own food and take care of yourself, becoming more independent of the system and money. This knowledge can then be used t take care of yourself or others. You can also meet people who know how to overcome the societal mold of having a job or going to school. Having a degree doesn't make you a genius.

Live

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
If I were in your place, I think I would try Kickstarter or something similar. There are a lot of good people in the world who want to help people in times like this. It's not your fault and you shouldn't have your life destroyed because of all that happened to you.

My advice: try 'outsourcing' your problems too

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 08:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Kevinquisitor I have been homeless for two years living in a tent. For 8 months of those two years I did not have a job. I work part time for minimum wage. If you become homeless, I can give you all kinds of secrets to stay safe and clean that are either not posted on the internet or are flat out useless/incorrect.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The finish school idea is probably the best, especially since they often have job placement or assistance in this. My son also is into creating games, he had over 90% marks in physics, chemistry, calc, english, computer programming, and to me, gaming is irrelevent. He is deciding currently whether to go back and finish up as well.

Now there are other options in school. One son is interested in hair dressing and he wants to develop his music. Girls would leave notes on the fences where we lived and had to fight them off with sticks from the time he was 12 onwards.
So consider the hair dressing very smart. 1 year training, and he'd attract customers to any shop he worked in, and get good tips. My brothers "wife" is a hair dresser, and makes alot of money, as much as men in the oil rigs up north in summer months. She's native so its tax free for her. She told us any man in that profession even does better than the women, women like male hair dressers.

I think out of the box.

There is another way men succeed easier than women. Ie. housecleaning, my friend was turning down clients in a year and she charged $20 an hour. She also got into caring for physically handicapped, now has a 48 hour job a week, sleep over, that pays the same as her lower wage full time work she got injured in. Men have an advantage in being stronger. And being able to clean deeper.

Also, depending on location of home and traffic, put up an awning and run permanent garage sale, and or/hotdog, frenchfry stand. The french fries and gravy can make lots of money. You may not go back to school.

If you can find something that makes money, the practical, then may be able to get on with a real dream on the side, ie creative, gaming, art, music, guitar building anything that is fun, that feeds your soul.

Anyway, thats the way I think of life. Something practical and something creative.
edit on 10-8-2014 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Hmm, look inside you for the answers to this question, once you REALLY take charge, all these obstacles will be totally crushed by your sheer WILLPOWER.

Decree to yourself, that you will succeed so completely and fully, that you can let go, or gain everything you need with no fears or guilts, and proceed onwards with your life , you must carry on the missions, we insist that you go forwards with supreme awe-striking magnificence, and can already see EVERY solution flying out from all angles.

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Really sorry to hear this, our condolences on the loss of your parents and adverse situation, I know how bad it can get. A lot of contributors here have made some very valid suggestions. I would try something additional however as there are crowd-funding options that allow charitable causes. Kickstarter does not, but there are others that would probably work for you.

In a time of emotional and financial turmoil, trying to go back to school may or may not help. Your grades may suffer because of the emotional and financial distractions or alternatively, your grades may excel due to the distraction of re-learning and putting aside the past issues. It all depends on how you're wired.

If the bank tries to pull any fast moves, go to the local newspaper and TV station (or larger) and try and get your story published. I had to do that once with a court case where my kids were threatened with kidnapping by my business partners and everything calmed down afterwards.

As well, look at the laws on foreclosure, do your research and look at court cases. Demand the original certified copies of the mortgage and make sure you stay in touch with the bank. Don't let any letter slide, respond to everything. You may need a lawyer to help out, but there are lawyers that will take cases both pro-bono and on spec.

Hope everything works out for you ;-)

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 10 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
sympathy. how many more millions of people have to go through it when everyone will understand it is the system not you out of luck

posted on Aug, 11 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I am sorry for your loss. It's hard to give advice in circumstances like those. My advice would be to cut any costs that seem unnecessesary. Next would be to chase after jobs, any jobs, any time. Market yourself as looking for work. Don't be afraid to show how eager you are. I don't know your mortage system well enough to give you tips there.
Persevere!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join