It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mmmm fresh homegrown pineapple! What's in your garden?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
I had dinner at my moms tonight and grilled pineapple was a side! It wasn't just any pineapple but pineapple from my mom's garden!

I had never had homegrown pineapple. I love pineapple but it's very expensive and let me tell you it is so not as juicy as this pineapple was tonight!

My son had some and loved it too! It went well with the grilled pork loin.

They also had bananas from their banana tree. They were so heavy they knocked the tree over. I swear this bundle weighs over 50lbs!! My little one will be happy when they are ready, he loves bananas.

I wish I had a yard so I could grow my own food. I live in an apartment and don't have the means to grow much. I do have my own herbs and get many veggies and fruits from my mom.

So ATS what do you have in your garden? I know some of you have awesome gardens, so I hope to see them on here!

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Fresh pineapple is really good if it is ripe. It's a great treat. Pineapple has bromelain in it, highest in the core. It is heat liable. It is good to eat pineapple once in a while if you crave it but don't overconsume it for long periods of time. The enzyme in it breaks down proteins, too much is no good. It also keeps jello from setting properly. If it is heated the enzyme falls apart. Pineapple or grapefruit will kill some of the headaches I get within minutes. I don't actually know why but it works. It only works on certain kinds of headaches though.

Just don't buy pineapples and eat them for many weeks. No problem with canned ones, the enzyme is reduced a lot. Now people who have evolved with pineapples for generations, they may be used to this active enzyme.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, just trying to tell people to eat things in moderation.
edit on 3-8-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Great pictures! My girl friend has 1/2 acre under cultivation but she only grows 2 crops. Asparagus and Berries, black and blue. Our local fancy yuppie restaurants buy everything she harvests. In our small village the other gardeners and people with orchards put out boxes of produce and fruit, free for the taking.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Fresh pineapple is really good if it is ripe. It's a great treat. Pineapple has bromelain in it, highest in the core. It is heat liable. It is good to eat pineapple once in a while if you crave it but don't overconsume it for long periods of time. The enzyme in it breaks down proteins, too much is no good. It also keeps jello from setting properly. If it is heated the enzyme falls apart. Pineapple or grapefruit will kill some of the headaches I get within minutes. I don't actually know why but it works. It only works on certain kinds of headaches though.

I haven't had pineapple in probably years before tonight. It's too expensive and usually it's too dry, this was super juicy and just plain delicious.

Funny you mention headache. I had a horrible migraine all day, no meds helped yet after I ate it was gone. I'm not saying it was the pineapple but interesting you mention that. I'll have to keep that in mind. I found out recently I have no curve in my spine in my neck, which is causing severe headaches and migraines. It's been over a year that I have gone without a true diagnosis. I am seeing a chiropractor for soft touch treatment. I've only been three times so I can't tell all that much to be honest. She wants to correct the curve in my neck which for me will be great. I'm over the headaches and migraines! I'll have to keep some pineapple around just to see if it really does help since meds don't seem to work.

Just don't buy pineapples and eat them for many weeks. No problem with canned ones, the enzyme is reduced a lot. Now people who have evolved with pineapples for generations, they may be used to this active enzyme.

I'm not trying to scare anyone, just trying to tell people to eat things in moderation.

I don't eat pineapple on the regular it's too expensive and I have thing thing with fruit in a can. Lol I just can't eat it. My step dad said it took over a year but less that two to grow the two they picked. I had no idea they took that long!

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Great pictures! My girl friend has 1/2 acre under cultivation but she only grows 2 crops. Asparagus and Berries, black and blue. Our local fancy yuppie restaurants buy everything she harvests. In our small village the other gardeners and people with orchards put out boxes of produce and fruit, free for the taking.

Wow that sounds amazing. Home grown asparagus damn!!! I love asparagus but I don't buy it often because of the cost otherwise I'd buy it weekly. I had some this week and gave it to my 14month old and he loved it! As for the berries I'd go nuts! I love berries if all kinds, especially raspberries and blackberries. My son loves blueberries and will devour an entire container if you let him. Lol

Sounds like a nice place where you live. I would love to live somewhere like that some day, live off the land and share with others.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Wow that sounds amazing. Home grown asparagus damn!!! I love asparagus but I don't buy it often because of the cost otherwise I'd buy it weekly. I had some this week and gave it to my 14month old and he loved it! As for the berries I'd go nuts! I love berries if all kinds, especially raspberries and blackberries. My son loves blueberries and will devour an entire container if you let him. Lol

Sounds like a nice place where you live. I would love to live somewhere like that some day, live off the land and share with others.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   
We have plenty of zucchini for zucchini bread. Enough to make enough loaves to get us through the winter, plus plenty extra to make for friends and family.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Home grown fruit is great I have 3 stone fruit trees in my backyard, 2 apricot and a loquat. The loquat is awesome as we don't get them in shops anymore these days. Last summer we didn't get any fruit at all due to lorikeets eating everything, bloody vultures!
last year,
this year.

link   

So is it true that it takes 3 years to grow a pineapple?

link   

double post
edit on 3-8-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917
We have plenty of zucchini for zucchini bread. Enough to make enough loaves to get us through the winter, plus plenty extra to make for friends and family.

Omg zucchini is one of my favorite veggies! My friend and I are always sharing our zucchini love via Facebook lol.

I recently made some grilled zucchini sticks with Parmesan and fresh herbs, omg they were so good!

I've liked zucchini since I was a kid. Green beans and zucchini were my favorites as a kid.

Is zucchini hard to grow? What kind of climate do you need? I'm in Florida, would it grow here?

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   

So is it true that it takes 3 years to grow a pineapple?

Yes pretty much. My step dad says it can vary but they take more than a year for sure. I think these took less than two but were pretty close to the two year mark. I'll ask my mom again the exact time it took.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

Wow those pesky vultures are beautiful! I've never seen a lorikeet before.

I've also never had a loquat nor have I heard of it. What do they taste like?

I'd love an apricot tree! I want to say my mom had one but I'm not sure. They always have all kinds of stuff in the back yard. I recently got so e green beans from them and they were tasty!

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I just googled the loquat tree, is that also called a Japanese plum tree? If so I've had them and omg I LOVED them as a kid. We had two huge trees in our yard as kids and we would eat them like crazy. The loquat tree looks just like it.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

I just googled the loquat tree, is that also called a Japanese plum tree? If so I've had them and omg I LOVED them as a kid. We had two huge trees in our yard as kids and we would eat them like crazy. The loquat tree looks just like it.

I know these from my childhood too. I'm not sure about it's other names, I just eat 'em.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: mblahnikluver

Is zucchini hard to grow? What kind of climate do you need? I'm in Florida, would it grow here?

Very easy to grow where I live, but Florida may not be ideal.
It likes a hot, dry climate. A wet year will most likely grow a mold on the leaves and produce will be pretty much nothing. But if cucumber do well there, then zucchini should too.

edit on 3-8-2014 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Aw, come on! This is not fair!

I'm doing my very best to feel happy for you and not feel jealous, but I really have to work on it a whole lot more as it's not ok to drool on one's keyboard is it? There has to be a special room in heaven for those of us born too far north and unable to garden like that. There just has to be! Slightly barbecued fresh pineapple on a hot pizza would be so terrific as would be fresh berries. From the sounds of it, the visit is a good one for your little one.

I do hope the treatments go well on your neck. Be sure she takes it very slowly as it could be dangerous.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

If you have a protein that the body can't break down properly the bromelain can help to break it down. There is sometimes a headache created by this protein and the headache goes away almost right away. I have known about this for a while, but haven't been able to find a way on how to know for which headache it works for. I can't tell my headaches apart. I know what elevated sulfites feels like, but some of the headaches I thought were sinus seem to be helped by pineapple or grapefruit. I guess even a banana has bromelain in it. But it also contains a similar chemical to milk and milk gives me a headache often also.

It will take me a year or so of trial and error to figure this out. Half a grapefruit works well also. I am going to try pineapple juice to see if there is enough of the enzyme in that. Grapefruit juice does not seem to work as well as grapefruit. I don't think that what we call migraines are all migraines myself. I used to have what I thought were migraines and they were a variety of different headaches, the doctors got this wrong when they said they were migraines. I know the sulfite headache well, I used to get them after one Pabst beer. Very sharp and strong in the forehead and eye socket area. Molybdenum takes care of sulfite headaches for me.

The headaches from popcorn can be gotten rid of with apple cider vinegar. Half a shot in a glass of water with a little sugar. The popcorn headache will go away on it's own after I go poop many times. Maybe feeding the critters in my gut causes them to release some chemical that gives me a headache. I have tried to research this and people are asking why they get popcorn headaches and everyone seems to blame it on salt. I can definitely tell you, mine are not from salt. There is something else going on there, maybe a buildup of methane in the body. Whatever it is, Apple cider vinegar with mother takes care of it, so does pickle juice sometimes but not always.

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   
I posted about our emergency location a few years ago and at the end is my home garden
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Started growing lettuce... one of the best decisions ever made. Its not as great as store leaf lettuce, as its smaller and when you wash it becomes flimsy... but it grows so fast and tastes great. More than I can eat. Long as you keep it away from the slugs it is fantastic!

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Living outside of NYC means I cannot grow pineapple, although if I could I would.

My garden has various types of tomatoes, cherry's for salads and jarring, beefsteaks for sandwiches and serving with fresh mozzarella and basil and San Marzano plums for pizza and pasta sauce.

I also have a large assortment of hot peppers, various herbs, eggplant, cukes and zucchini (try stuffing and frying the flowers), leeks and different types of berries.

edit on 4-8-2014 by AugustusMasonicus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join