It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC Diner Offers 15 Percent Discount For ‘Praying In Public’ Over Meal

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Ahh but see. I just reacted in a butthurt matter to a perceived insult by you. Or did I? Not sure actually, think I was trying to prove a point.

You started it with the "Holier than Though" attitude like you had somehow risen above human nature. I admit to being human, don't make claims of superiority.

I'm just irritated when people make ridiculous claims like they somehow don't deal with the same issues that are simple human nature and everyone deals with.

We all are imperfect. Some are less so, but all are imperfect. I felt your claim to be silly, so I reacted in a way I thought would bring it to light.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: beezzer

New items on the menu at Mary's....

Holier than thou burgers
Pharisee soup
Sanctimonious hash browns
Self Righteous cole slaw
pietistic pie
Dogmatic shakes

Complementary Chupacirios with every order over $15.oo

If they had that on the menu, I'd go just for the lol factor.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

What a neat idea!

Although this will probably offend some people.

You are so right! I don't see how anyone should be offended by someone offering up thanks to their God for what they have. It wouldn't bother me in the least and I would join them.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
Does it matter who you are praying to? Gee, I wonder if it would offend the owners if I pray to Satan before my meal...

LOL! Well, they wouldn't know so as long as you are quiet abut it. lol

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Self Righteous cole slaw

They should call it Abomination Slaw. That stuff's disgusting

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: FyreByrd

Great post. And its all good considering my granddad made me pray at dinner. LOL

And that chines thing is working out well. How much do we owe them now?

LOL - but they are better capitalists then we are - LOL

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

That discretionary nature to just drop it as a server feels with no set guide or accounting to it is the only thing I could imagine being offended by.

To be offended by it, I'd have to be sitting in the place, eating on a tight budget and spend my last spare bucks for a nice dinner to overhear someone next to me got a 15% discount for nodding off for a moment a waitress mistook for a silent prayer.

It almost sounds that open to interpretation. It must be a trusting owner with the staff, since she's taking the 15% hit directly on each instance. She must not have seen it abused, which would be good.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Of course it will, People are always offended by something.

Somebody will go out of their way to raise a ruckus just because it will shine the spot light on them and maybe they will make a couple bucks off of it.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Good for them. Aside from the OP's ignorant remark about good people, I really can't see anyone getting offended by this thread. As others have said, non-religious people could just pray and get the 15% discount. That being said, it's a pretty good business move since NC is apparently pretty conservative, so I imagine they're also probably very Christian as well.

Looks like people can finally say they have objective proof that prayer actually does something (aside from that whole controlling emotions thing).

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

There is no anti-Christian rhetoric except in some minds.

And when there is? Well IMO they bring it upon themselves with stunts like this.

There has been plenty of anti-Christian rhetoric everywhere and in the news almost daily, but perhaps you have been living in a cave and haven't gotten the memo?

Here are just the top ten anti-Christian things as of late.

10. NBC television network twice took the words "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance in its lead up to the U.S. Open at Congressional Country Club.
The original pledge didn't have Under God in it.

2. President Obama declared June "Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Pride Month" and hosted a White House celebration by homosexuals.
That's not anti-christian. There are months for blacks, native americans, and so on. Considering that gays have had a hard time in America like those groups (not in the same way, since I know someone is going to try to argue over that), it doesn't really come off as a surprise that they get a month too.

1. California Gov. Jerry Brown signs a bill forcing public school curriculum and textbooks to "celebrate" homosexuals, transgenders and bisexuals.
Again, not Anti-Christian. The right thing to do, yes, but not anti-christian. You seem to have confused anti-christian sentiment with government not worshiping Christianity. Guess that's what happens when you're part of a privileged religion.

When you only consider the stories that are actually anti-christian, you're about 7 out of 10, which isn't too bad. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if those other stories were bogus too since that seems to be how most stories of Christian Persecution go

P.S. Just for the record, "supporting traditional marriage" is a really cowardly way to say you oppose marriage equality. It's also kind of stupid considering that Traditional Marriage isn't going to magically go away because gays have the ability to have their marriage be legally recognized. Granted stupidity is a trait commonly expressed by the anti-marriage equality crowd, but that's a different subject altogether.

edit on 2-8-2014 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

originally posted by: intrepid

originally posted by: Logarock
a reply to: Cuervo

Yes and I ill go so far as to say this is stupid for all the reasons you mention. Not to mention the sort it attracts, cheep skates and other who will be doing it simply for the 15% off.

What's wrong with saving some coin? Are coupons a bad idea too?

Only if they expire before the rapture.

More chow for those of us left behind. I for one am looking forward to running around in sports cars liberated form abandoned dealerships like Charleton Heston in Omega Man.

Now where can I find a snappy ascot?
edit on 2-8-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   

I'm SORRY! but you are wrong, sir.

I can feel the sodomy happening between men all around me. It is real and it must be curbed.
Do NOT get me started on medical marijuana/abortion!
FACT!
DEMONIC INFESTATIONS (& subsequent excorcisms) INCREASED BY 66% (+/- .6%) IN STATES WITHIN 7 HOURS OF MARIJUANA LEGALIZATION!
(Abortions in the areas polled remained even)
edit on 2-8-2014 by Eunuchorn because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Anyone can "pray", doesn't mean that they are praying to their God. Guess they monitor who gets the discount, how they pray or to whom?

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

I can feel the sodomy happening between men all around me. It is real and it must be curbed.
FACT!
DEMONIC INFESTATIONS (& subsequent excorcisms) INCREASED BY 66% (+/- .6%) IN STATES WITHIN 7 HOURS OF MARIJUANA LEGALIZATION!

Right...

edit on 2-8-2014 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 10:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

FACT!

Why the hell would you worry about what doesn't concern you? What gives you the right to judge?

As for the OP..I would pray to an imaginary being if it meant saving some cash..

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

I believe Jesus said it was better to pray in quiet when nobody is watching. I don't disapprove, but I also don't approve.

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I live in N.C.. but you lost me at " get good people to come to the restaurant". Alluding to the ones who don't pray are'nt "good people". You pigeon hole much?
edit on 3-8-2014 by openyourmind1262 because: lack of spelling ability

posted on Aug, 3 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I'd go full on Robert Tilton in there. I'd make pain ridden faces and speak in tongues.

I work retail. I'm aware that most the population is oblivious and resistant to reality. People either want you to believe in a fantasy for number strength or manipulation. The many manipulated and the few manipulators will ruin all chances for peace and leisure for our species. Only a relative few will live well; the manipulators and their most functional henchmen. The rest are given the consolation of an imaginary afterlife. Some of us don't even get that.
edit on 4-8-2014 by gentledissident because: seeing something that wasn't there

posted on Aug, 4 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Eunuchorn

citation needed

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Just wanted to follow up on this. . .

The restaurant owner has stopped offering the discounts because of the threat of a lawsuit. Some patrons disagree with the idea of this discount, even though it's not a standing policy. A person with the restaurant said they have received a large amount of complaints, hate mail and hateful messages on Social Networks, and even threats of violence.

With the criticism came waves of support.

"I think a business owner ought to be able to do what they'd like to in terms of promoting their values, promoting what's important to them, without being in fear of someone saying I'm going to sue you if you don't change your policies," said Ken Heater, Executive Director, Winston-Salem Rescue Mission.

"Sadly, it's indicative of the way so many people are thinking today, whereas if they don't like what you're thinking or what you do, they're going to try to make you change and it's, it's not right."

www.wfmynews2.com...

I guess there were people offended by this.

Can't color me surprised.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:11 AM
link   
So I think it is still okay to pray in public, but now restaurants are unable to acknowledge it and reward it with a discount.

posted on Aug, 7 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
So I think it is still okay to pray in public, but now restaurants are unable to acknowledge it and reward it with a discount.

I actually liked what the restaurant owner said about the discount (from your link):

In response to the wave of people reading the story, Mary's Diner posted an update on Facebook and said it's not a policy but is a "Gift we give at random to customers who take a moment before their meal. This could be prayer or just a moment to breathe and push the busyness of the world away. Who you talk to or meditate on etc. is your business."

The only real problem I had with it, was that it seemed so subjective. It was totally up to the waitstaff, so if they were in a bad mood that day, or if you weren't as nice to them as they would have wanted you to be - no discount for you. If they were too busy to notice you were praying (or meditating) before your meal - no discount for you. If you are going to reduce the price for some and not for others, it should be consistent and fair. You should also be prepared for those who don't get the reduced price to be angry - that's just human nature.

I don't agree with the threats of lawsuits and violence, though. That's just cray cray.

ETA: Also, I think it would have caused less of a ruckus if they had called it a "prayer/meditation discount", to allow for religion or non-religion.

edit on 7-8-2014 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join