It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC Diner Offers 15 Percent Discount For ‘Praying In Public’ Over Meal

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: pennydrops

My religion requires that I paint my ass blue and stand on my head during prayer. I don't think it's worth dealing with the cops to get .75 cents off of a burger.

What religion is that?

I am an ordained minister of the Church of the Subgenius.
I pretty much just make up the rules as I go.
No hot dogs on Tuesday.

My shordurpersav for today is Gamera. I will be performing a short duration marriage between myself and a cheeseburger shortly. If the luck plane is tilted in my favor I will be abducted by a Sex Goddess from outer space later this afternoon. F###'em if they can't take a joke.

Praise Bob...Slack be his holy name.
My shordurpersav today is Gamera. I plan on performing a short duration marriage between myself and a cheeseburger shortly. If I'm lucky I will be abducted by the Sex Goddesses at some point this afternoon.
I tried to give Jesus a call, but I think he's playing golf.

Why a discount for just praying. Perhaps a group like Stryper could write a Christian Rock opera and spread the message and feed the homeless for free.

Or another fantastic marketing strategy for Mary's gourmet Diner to to adopt would be to combine Prayer with topless waitresses.

I'd like a grilled cheese, a side of fries and a diet coke please!!!

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

I don't have a denial problem. Or a persecution complex. Find someone who cares to believe that fairytale. A Christian anti-rhetoric problem is one problem we do NOT have in the U.S. Not unless someone goes looking for it with a microscope.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bone75

My religion requires that I paint my ass blue and stand on my head during prayer. I don't think it's worth dealing with the cops to get .75 cents off of a burger.

So immaturity is a religion now?

Did you just figure that one out?
The answer is a resounding yes.
It even says in the Bible...words of Jesus... "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

edit on 2-8-2014 by skunkape23 because: added

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I thought I'd look up how Muslims pray before dinner, and it seems to be very similar to the Christian tradition. I ended up on a forum and came across a comment that I thought was worth sharing for the humor. Here it is...

"With some of the stuff that they eat, it's a good idea to pray first."

soulwaxer

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I read the OP and it didn't answer some questions so I looked up two more stories about this.

National Public Radio quotes this:

Blalock says it's something that she was moved to implement about 3 1/2 years ago. "We're very thankful for the attention we've received, but that's not what we were aiming at," she says.

Blalock says the discount is given to customers at the discretion of the wait staff.
Src

The Blaze had more of interest:

Haglund, 60, said that the “gift” she gives customers has nothing to do with a specific religious perspective, that she never advertises the discount and that it’s something staffers sporadically offer only when they feel compelled to do so.

“It’s just a moment or faithfulness about the plate of food,” she said. “It’s not even a policy — it’s [something] we only do when we’re moved to do it.”

Haglund also noted that wait staff who are uncomfortable or who don’t agree with the message behind the discount aren’t forced to give it.
Src

The part about not advertising it and being entirely discretionary seems wide open to some abuse. If the owner knows and trusts her wait staff enough though, it would work. It sounds like praying over your meal may or may not get a discount and asking for it outright may be a bad approach. If a waitress happens to be looking, a table may get it.

If they use it without seeing it become a "15% friends discount" or every other thing, it's an interesting approach to offering a discount and encouraging something with customers.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Restaurants right to give out the discount, but as stated many times here they better be ready to give it to all who pray to God as they see him/her, not just a select group.
Religious freedom is a two way street, lets not forget that

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
I don't have a denial problem.

Denial Checklist

What denial patterns do you use? (check as many as needed)

1. Avoidance: "I'll talk about anything but my real problems!"

2. Absolute Denial: "No Not Me, I Don’t Have Problems!"

3. Minimizing: "My Problems Aren’t That Bad!"

4. Rationalizing: "If I Can Find Good Enough Reasons For My Problems, I Won’t Have To Deal With Them!"!"

5. Blaming: "If I Can Prove That My Problems Are not My Fault, I Won’t Have To Deal With Them!"

6. Comparing: "Showing That Others Are Worse Than Me Proves That I Don’t Have Serious Problems!”

7. Compliance: "I’ll Pretend To Do What You Want If You’ll Leave Me Alone!"

8. Manipulating: "I’ll Only Admit That I Have Problems If You Agree To Solve Them For Me"

9. Flight Into Health: - "Feeling Better Means That I’m Cured!"

10. Recovery By Fear: "Being Scared Of My Problems Will Make Them Go Away!"

11. Strategic Hopelessness: "Since Nothing Works, I Don't Have To Try!"

12. Democratic Disease State: "I Have The Right To Destroy Myself & No One Has The Right To Stop Me!"

Denial Checklist

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ~Lucidity
a reply to: NoCorruptionAllowed

I don't have a denial problem. Or a persecution complex. Find someone who cares to believe that fairytale. A Christian anti-rhetoric problem is one problem we do NOT have in the U.S. Not unless someone goes looking for it with a microscope.

Add this to your list: Or people in denial of reality and every day news events the world over. if you want to pretend the rhetoric does not exist, that is your choice. But by adding anti Christian rhetoric to your reply calling it a belief in fairy tales kind of shoots down your own theory of "no rhetoric is happening against Christians".

You just did it yourself, but I suppose you will deny that too?

You really do need some help denying ignorance.

I admit I laughed pretty hard seeing you contradict your own statements. Thanks for proving my point 100%.
edit on 2-8-2014 by NoCorruptionAllowed because: laughing out loud at lucidity

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   
There's rhetoric against everybody. We humans are kinda dicks like that. The main thing is recognizing when it's to the point of violating others in a way that's significant, and when people are just being butt hurt.

I'm guilty of both being a dick, and whining like a butthurt bitch over nonsense. Chances are, as human beings everyone else is similarly guilty too.

Especially when it involves one's own group or organization. Is easy to notice things that target oneself and their beliefs specifically.

Seeing things through one's own special lens of relevance.

So my question is not, "is their anti-christian rhetoric in the U.S?", but "is there enough that Christians are truly suffering for it and discriminated against in a significant matter?" and if so in what ways?

How bad off is a christian in the US? Really?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Too bad I don't live near Mary’s Gourmet Diner.

I would rip out my downward pointing pentagram rug, red candles, and my Dark Lord challice.

You can keep your 15% off discount, I'll get the 'free meal if you leave' discount.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ArdenWolf

That's only if you need validation in your own beliefs. I'm a loner. I challenge my own. Others challenge it. I welcome that. I learned some stuff this week that I didn't know. Awesome to put that info in my head. I don't have to think, "Does this go against what I believe as a......." Screw it. It makes sense, it goes into the vault. No matter what creed says about it.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I had a long response but decided to go with this:

"If you've ever in your life argued with anyone about anything, or put someone down, or did anything of this nature, you're comment is by default BS. You're not superhuman, don't pretend to be above normal human behavior. Some are better, but none perfect."

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Care to spell that out in plain words? I'm taking that as an insult right now. I could be wrong.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Care to spell that out in plain words? I'm taking that as an insult right now. I could be wrong.

And with that my point is proven. Welcome down humanity with everyone else.

Edit to clarify: "If you don't need validation/care what others think, you cannot be insulted, because my opinions would not matter."

Like I said human like everyone else.
edit on 2-8-2014 by ArdenWolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

I said in my first post. . .

"What a neat idea!

Although this will probably offend some people. "

Seems there is no pleasing folks.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

OK Sparky. Your insult is taken in stride.

Now go out, learn a thing or two. Live for about 6 decades and then we'll not insult each other. With age comes wisdom. Not always but usually true.

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MrCynic

the " explaination " is IMHO worse than the origionaly portrayed prayer discount - now its the capricious discount

link   

originally posted by: ArdenWolf
Edit to clarify: "If you don't need validation/care what others think, you cannot be insulted, because my opinions would not matter."

Like I said human like everyone else.

See my post. Epic fail man.
I hope this doesn't hurt your validation.

link   
Who's offended?

All I see is people saying it's just not something they would do.

So I ask again. Who's offended?

posted on Aug, 2 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

New items on the menu at Mary's....

Holier than thou burgers
Pharisee soup
Sanctimonious hash browns
Self Righteous cole slaw
pietistic pie
Dogmatic shakes

Complementary Chupacirios with every order over $15.oo

edit on 2-8-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join