It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola Patient in Atlanta Hospital

page: 97
<< 94  95  96    98  99  100 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: 00nunya00

No there shouldn't. Airborne or not applies to the man in the ATL hospital because that is what the fear mongers in that thread are trying to perpetuate. They think the mere fact he came here and breathed, Ebola is now everywhere and 21 days from now people will be dying.

Pictures showed unsuited people several yards from the infected, and again people started talking about how that person should be isolated. This thread is directly related to whether Ebola is airborne or not.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

But by that logic IFit was airborne it does not spread very efficiently via that route. If it did spread like flu or the cold we would have known by now.

Fair enough! I agree, if it was really good at airborne transmission, half of Africa would be dead by now. Perhaps it dies out in the air quicker than other viruses; perhaps the type of aerosols released are not as good at lingering in the air as the flu. Point is, no one is 100% sure, and with so many cases of trained western professional catching it despite their meticulous adherence to protocols, it is a possibility, and should not be dismissed out of hand.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: raymundoko

No there shouldn't. Airborne or not applies to the man in the ATL hospital because that is what the fear mongers in that thread are trying to perpetuate. They think the mere fact he came here and breathed, Ebola is now everywhere and 21 days from now people will be dying.

Pictures showed unsuited people several yards from the infected, and again people started talking about how that person should be isolated. This thread is directly related to whether Ebola is airborne or not.

No, no one has said they KNOW or are SURE it is airborne, they have expressed their displeasure with the fact that it is not 100% proven to not be airborne, and therefore when a body like the CDC is dealing with these patients, every precaution that is humanly possible should be taken when bringing it to a continent that has never seen it in humans. Big difference.

Again, please start another thread to discuss droplet-vs-airborne.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Side note: I have another autism appt for my son now, so I'll be back in an hour or two.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 00nunya00

But by that logic IFit was airborne it does not spread very efficiently via that route. If it did spread like flu or the cold we would have known by now.

Fair enough! I agree, if it was really good at airborne transmission, half of Africa would be dead by now. Perhaps it dies out in the air quicker than other viruses; perhaps the type of aerosols released are not as good at lingering in the air as the flu. Point is, no one is 100% sure, and with so many cases of trained western professional catching it despite their meticulous adherence to protocols, it is a possibility, and should not be dismissed out of hand.

Funny enough its one of the reason I went into Bacteriology rather than Virology, I find Viruses a bit unpredictable. If I screw up in a Cat 3 lab I can get treatment and likely survive to get my asre fired, if I screw up in a Cat 4 lab? Well Firing isn't a issue if your dead.

Dont take that as I think Atlanta will be infected and dying by this time next month. Not at all. But when dealing with CAT 4 Organisms all precautions should be taken just in case. The transfer of those 2 Americans Im sure wont put the general public at risk but the healthcare personnel should have taken extra precautions and no way should have let that unprotected bystander near as it sets a bad unprofessional image.
edit on 6-8-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-8-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: 00nunya00

Perhaps that is all just baseless speculation.

Perhaps, it is only transmitted via the only proven method it has been shown to transmit...which is by fluids.

We aren't 100% sure about anything, it doesn't mean we should consider everything probable.

I think the problem you have is that you don't understand the difference between possible and probable.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Seek_Truth
a reply to: Destinyone

I know that the Monsanto connection to Tekmira was discussed in this thread earlier, however I wasn't aware of any connection between Monsanto and the creator of Zmapp, Mapp Bio.

Is there a connection or are we confusing Tekmira with Mapp Bio?

-Cheers

I'm trying to find the link I read where they claim Zmapp is using Monsanto tobacco plants for producing the serum. Here are a few connect the dots links for the DOD, Monsanto, and Tekmira

Found it Seek truth.

The drug being credited with potentially saving the lives of two American missionaries infected with the deadly Ebola virus was produced in Owensboro.

The serum wasn't manufactured but grown — in a greenhouse full of genetically modified tobacco plants.
[/b

Read more here: www.kentucky.com...=cpy

Although there is no authorized drug to cure the Ebola virus, several experimental drugs are being created, including ones being developed by Tekmira Pharmaceuticals Corporation (NASDAQ:TKMR) of British Columbia. Over the past five days, the company's stock has shot up by more than 30 percent.www.ibtimes.com...

VERY informative link on Zmapp 12160.info...

One fascinating development worth investigating further is that TEKMIRA Pharmaceuticals, a company working on an anti-Ebola drug, just received a $1.5 million cash infusion from none other than Monsanto. Click here to read the press release, which states "Tekmira Pharmaceuticals Corporation is a biopharmaceutical company focused on advancing novel RNAi therapeutics and providing its leading lipid nanoparticle (LNP) delivery technology to pharmaceutical partners."

The money from Monsanto is reportedly related to the company's developed of RNAi technology used in agriculture. The deal is valued at up to $86.2 million, according to the WSJ. (11)

Another press release about Tekmira reveals a $140 million contract with the U.S. military for Ebola treatment drugs:

TKM-Ebola, an anti-Ebola virus RNAi therapeutic, is being developed under a $140 million contract with the U.S. Department of Defense's Medical Countermeasure Systems BioDefense Therapeutics (MCS-BDTX) Joint Product Management Office.

Learn more: www.naturalnews.com...

Des

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Stop trying to say airborne vs not airborne doesn't belong in this thread. It is directly related to an Ebola patient coming to the USA. If it isn't airborne then we have nothing to worry about...

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: LrdRedhawk
This message is for "kruphix" and "raymundoko"...

For the past 2 days, I've seen nothing productive from either of you that contributes to this thread. All I've seen you do is come in here and start arguments, attack, berate, belittle and insult people. If you're really that adamantly against what is being said here, then what other reason could you possibly have to be posting in this thread other than to play your games. If I was an ATS mod, I would have banned both of you long before now. You are both reprehensible.

Agreed. Didn't SO recently make a thread regarding *ganging up* by posters to disrupt threads? I have a feeling we are dealing with such a situation now.

Des

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   
a reply to: kruphix

I don't think you understand the basic difference between these two. For someone to be infected by someone who sneezes or coughs, they would have to sneeze or cough directly on them to where you feel the wetness with Ebola because you need to be in contact with the fluids...not just breath in air particles.

I do understand the difference. Flu is airborne and can survive on it's own floating through the air. Ebola cannot. But if a sick person sneezes, expelled droplets of mucous and saliva could contain the virus, and potentially infection another human without direct contact. Do we agree on this?

But if it does, it will be contained...I really have no worries about it.

I certainly hope you're right, but so far containment has not been working out very well. And yes, I understand the differences in in our culture and health care systems. But I still contend that our hospitals would be overrun in a heart beat, and lack the ability to isolate every suspected case. If that one New Yorker tests positive for Ebola, then how many hypochondriacs do you think will flood into hospitals at the first cough?

Are you kidding

No I'm not. With swine flu it was fear mongering of epic proportions -- global pandemic! Run out and get your vaccine. Danger-danger!!! This time it's, "don't worry, can't happen here, it's all good". We had 6 people tested for Ebola in US hospitals and no news agencies picked up on the story. Considering fear sells newspapers, it's hard to imagine why they'd let that one go.

edit on Wed34Wed, 06 Aug 2014 12:34:40 -05003114Wed by DirtyD because: Typing on a phone is hard

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Stop trying to say airborne vs not airborne doesn't belong in this thread. It is directly related to an Ebola patient coming to the USA. If it isn't airborne then we have nothing to worry about...

Oh, I have to disagree. Here are some facts:

Ebola can be transmitted via the sweat of an infected person when they become symptomatic. (Symptomatic includes sore throat and fever.) Ebola can live on a surface for up to 23 days. A person goes to the local emergency room and pushes open the door with their sweaty hand, and signs in at the desk, before they are diagnosed. How many people touch that door, pen, counter before the person is diagnosed?

Here is my post from page 18 of this thread. Link to post

With each passing day, we have 21 days from the moment the last airplane lands in the US from another country, because no one truly knows where those people have traveled and what their exposure/infection status is. What does someone look like the exact moment their fever begins to rise and their sweat contains the pathogen? Can this moment occur during air travel? Of course it can.

In my opinion, "we have nothing to worry about" is simply wishful thinking. Airborne or not, is not only problematic issue we need to be aware of.

edit on 8/6/2014 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DirtyD

1) Yes, that is not airborne transmission though...that requires close contact.

2) Containment wasn't working out because they misdiagnosed the outbreak early and it was in a more populated area. Containment is being better handled now.

3) If you don't think the media has been blowing this out of proportion then you haven't been reading. Just yesterday or the day before CNN had big headlines "EBOLA IN NEW YORK CITY"

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here

You are right, poor choice of words. We have far less to worry about than if it was airborne.

Precautions can be taken to greatly reduce and eliminate the spread of a non airborne virus.
edit on 6-8-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

a reply to: new_here

You are right, poor choice of words. We have far less to worry about than if it was airborne.

Precautions can be taken to greatly reduce and eliminate the spread of a non airborne virus.

That was not my point. My point was... forget airborne... we have a lot to worry about even if it is not airborne.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   

a reply to: kruphix

He is right.

Ebola being Airborne in humans is at this time purely speculation.

Thank Cuthulu that the Reston strain didn't make the jump to humans.

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

I would be thrilled if they were isolating/detaining passengers who have been to those areas of infection. I have not seen information on that. Just that airports were 'screening' passengers for any signs of illness. In my opinion, airport TSA are not qualified to do medical screening.

Please post links to info about detaining/isolating passengers who have been to infected zones. (Also, what about passengers who have had contact with anyone who has been to an infected zone? There is really no way to know who, among all passengers arriving in the US, have been exposed. So what if they are not showing symptoms right now... what about 21 days from now?)

posted on Aug, 6 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

Considering it has never been airborne I am going to go ahead and stick with the fact it isn't airborne. You can say "it might" all you want, but the disease has been around for many decades and if it was airborne we would know it.

Of course, never-mind the CDC is in the "might" camp. Otherwise this would be a completely pointless recommendation:

Interim Guidance about Ebola Virus Infection for Airline Flight Crews, Cleaning Personnel, and Cargo Personnel

Provide the sick person with a surgical mask (if the sick person can tolerate wearing one) to reduce the number of droplets expelled into the air by talking, sneezing, or coughing.

new topics

top topics

<< 94  95  96    98  99  100 >>

join