It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Creationist Ken Ham calls to end space program because aliens are going to hell anyway

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   
… sigh …

As an orthodox Christian, when I run across stories like this, I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Creationist Ken Ham has said that the U.S. space program is a waste of money because any alien life that scientists found would be damned to hell.

“I’m shocked at the countless hundreds of millions of dollars that have been spent over the years in the desperate and fruitless search for extraterrestrial life,” Ham wrote in a Sunday column on his Answers in Genesis website. (Source)

There is so much wrong there that I don't even know where to start.

But I do want to say that Ham represents an extremely minority viewpoint. Though the non-Christian "pro-science" crowd seems to frequently want to paint all Christians with a Ken Ham shaped brush, that is not the case. I am an orthodox Christian, I have bachelor and masters degrees in a science, I am "pro-science", recognize evolution as the process by which higher life arose on Earth, and I don't believe that God created the Earth in six days six thousand years ago.

Ken Ham is a nut, and deserves to be treated as such.

Space exploration is about advancing our understanding of the universe (God's created universe, Ken Ham -- if there are aliens, they are God's creation, too!), not about proselytizing to all life in the galaxy.

I'll leave that to the Jehovah's Witnesses, who are no doubt contemplating building spaceships to one day drop copies of The Watchtower on E.T.'s doorstep, lol.

edit on 21-7-2014 by adjensen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Then people wonder why aliens wont make contact ...
People like that are one of the biggest reasons .. all they do is hold humanity back ...

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: adjensen

Good lord.

This guy is a real piece of work. How small his savior is to damn so many to hell. Or how small the god of his mind is with his twisted doctrines.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:11 PM
link   

I ran across that a few moments ago... My first thought was "THREAD!!!".

Damn you, anyhow...

To call this insane is an understatement. ...and all too many are going to paint with that broad brush you mentioned...which is just as insane.

Ken Ham's views are not the views of mainstream orthodox Christianity, or the vast majority anyhow. The Catholic church itself has invested money in its own efforts to add to the knowledge of other worlds.

The Church is slowly coming 'round to the view that alien life is as much a creation of God's hands, as we are. Views evolve/change as we as a whole grow up, naturally our views of the Universe will change. Once upon a time the view of a sun centered system were heretical in the extreme. Earth was the center. People died expressing views contrary to that "mainstream" view.

Now? Slowly, and with many a future start and stop, the church, and Christianity in general; will come to the belief that any alien life are as much children of God, as we are.

I'm not a big fan of the Church. Never have been. But for any to attempt, and they will, to color mainstream Christianity using the views of this cretin as the brush, are sadly mistaken.

Great find.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
There is life everywhere in the universe. There is also intelligent life as well. While God is working out His purpose with mankind here on the Earth, it may be that elsewhere other creatures are not subject to the same kind of laws or purpose as mankind is.

For instance, we know in the Bible in Genesis that God gave a law to all the creatures He created. "Be fruitful and multiply" or, have sex and reproduce, and they obey this law faithfully. To mankind he also said the same thing except He added a law forbidding access to certain knowledge and understanding which God claimed for Himself alone.

Angels which do not come from the Earth have laws as well, but we don't know them. We know that when some of them came to Earth to take human wives God punished them, so they broke one of God's laws given to them concerning contact with the humans on the Earth.

It would seem to me that it is not for anyone to say How God would treat any other life in the universe as we are not them and they cannot be judged by our standards and laws given to us.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: adjensen

I'll leave that to the Jehovah's Witnesses, who are no doubt contemplating building spaceships to one day drop copies of The Watchtower on E.T.'s doorstep, lol.

With that little gem you just confirmed my suspicions that a pervasive "holier than thou" arrogant attitude permeates Christianity.

Is it any wonder why many of us on this site have lost our faith when we continually see the fragmentation of those that are trying to convince us of their contact with divinity; and why we should follow them.

What other denomination do you feel like making fun of? Got any Mormon jokes?
edit on 21-7-2014 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What a ham.

This is that peanutbutter guy right?

kay.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Who would be considered the opposite of Ken Ham in the Atheists circles. Is there anyone to compare that kind of crazy to?

Anyway I agree there are not that many Christians with old Ham bones mindset however there are a few on ATS that I know of.
edit on 21-7-2014 by Grimpachi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
What a one liner! A thigh slapper for sure. I do have to disagree with Mr Bacon for the simple fact that aliens have spent the last century avoiding hell. They won't stay here longer than it takes to drive by and point.

My jokes are weak in comparison, but you can't blame me for trying when Pork and Beans started it.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Creationist Ken Ham calls to end space program because aliens are going to hell anyway

finally ,,a voice of reason,, its about damm time,

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

With that little gem you just confirmed my suspicions that a pervasive "holier than thou" arrogant attitude permeates Christianity.

You are missing the point.

Ken Ham is saying that the only reason that we have to explore space is to convert aliens to Christianity, but that's a waste of time because they're all condemned to hell anyway.

Ken Ham is a moron. Space exploration is not about converting aliens, it's about space exploration.

He's also a pretty lousy Christian, because he is presuming to judge an entire species to hell, pretending that he can speak for God.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:27 PM
link   

A guy named after pork has an opinion about the space program and going to hell. This character definitely needs to be roasted. Maybe with a little honey glaze.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:29 PM
link   

I fail to understand how you can laugh at the absurdity of this, yet believe a man lived in whales' stomach for three days.

You crazy Christians.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: adjensen

You are missing the point.

Ken Ham is saying that the only reason that we have to explore space is to convert aliens to Christianity, but that's a waste of time because they're all condemned to hell anyway.

Ken Ham is a moron. Space exploration is not about converting aliens, it's about space exploration.

He's also a pretty lousy Christian, because he is presuming to judge an entire species to hell, pretending that he can speak for God.

No you missed my point...my post was clear. I sense a deflection.
You trashed the Jehovah's Witnesses besides Ken Ham. Do you place them in the same category as Ken Ham.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: mmali

yet believe a man lived in whales' stomach for three days.

What makes you think that I believe that?

Learn the difference between orthodox Christianity and "literalists". We are not the same thing, though most non-Christians would have you believe that we are, because literalists are easy to attack, as you've shown.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Cry, definitely cry. Can't fix stupid.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:35 PM
link   

You trashed the Jehovah's Witnesses besides Ken Ham.

That last paragraph is what is generally referred to as "a joke".

You've apparently never heard Reality Remix, Wednesday nights on ATS Radio… I do a lot of jokes -- that line was recycled from one that I told about Catholics a couple of months ago.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   

I fail to understand how you can laugh at the absurdity of this, yet believe a man lived in whales' stomach for three days

All Abrahamic religions are stupid- and most of the other ones too.

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
If Aliens went to Hell, would it mean that they would come down?

Other then that, landing on a barren wasteland of a rock, or a planet like this one, and not going back to the heaven.

Then I think he would be quite correct?

posted on Jul, 21 2014 @ 09:42 PM
link   

only reason that we have to explore space is to convert aliens to Christianity

right now ,there a few Aliens out there that have been offended....especially the "Aliens fur Allahu Akbar" --- AAA --- a non-profit Alien member organization...

we must continue the space program so they can be converted to capitalism....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join