It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone-Firehole Lake Drive Temporarily Closed due to Melting

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Extreme heat from surrounding thermal areas has caused thick oil to bubble to the surface, damaging the blacktop and creating unsafe driving conditions on the popular, scenic road, located off the Grand Loop Road halfway between Old Faithful and Madison Junction in the park’s Lower Geyser Basin.

Yellowstone Website

Hmmmm... haven't ever heard of this happening before.

Hopefully just an isolated incident and not the beginning of major changes coming.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Exactly my first thought.I doudt this road melts regularly.
edit on CDTThupm4661 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
How hot has it been there? I'm about 3-4 hours away and it's gotten a couple of degrees from 100. That's super hot for this part of the Country. But it's definitely troubling for a road to be melting. I hope someone can let us know what's up with that.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
saw a 10 second clip from a cam in what´s suppose to be a national guard office of a briefing concerning ash cloud density.

now it could be real or it could have been staged as a lot of people make a lot of money of fear .

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: aightism2

Can you link it? Who recorded it and did everyone know they were?

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

Well, asphalt when delivered to the job is around 350 to 400 degrees F. On a hot sunny day I have seen asphalt roads get a little soft, likely around 150 degree surface temp. For this to occur I would imagine parts of that road could be 200 plus.

If this was a regular occurence I would think they would use concrete on that stretch of road.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Dianec

Even in places it reaches 110+ degrees daily for a month, don't have roads melting. Troubling indeed.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   
My wife is from Texas, and when I showed her the picture, she said she used to see that down there every once and a while. When I asked what would cause it, she said about a weeks worth of 120 f temps does that exact thing to the country roads in TX.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Off topic:
Wow! do you really have 3.5 million stars? Never seen a score like yours!

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I am replying to this thread to keep it for comments later. Interesting indeed. Just last week or the week before it was snowing.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I remember when I was a child, the street we used to live on got a fresh layer of Tarmac laid down on it one spring. That summer, we had a massive heat wave, and I got one of my little flip flops caught in a sticky patch of melting, tarry residue that was on the surface. I tracked back to my flip flop, and stood in it, then stepped onto the pavement, and yanked on the flip flop. The stuff on the bottom of it came away like pizza cheese in the seventh circle of hell.

It's very odd stuff when it's hot.

That said, I wonder if the heat is coming from the weather, or the sub surface? Looking at the image, I would have said the upper surface of the road is being heated by the sun, rather than being heated from beneath. I would expect to see bulging if the heat was being applied by geothermal activity, rather than sunlight.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Naturally changing thermal features often damage Yellowstone's roads and boardwalks. Steaming potholes in asphalt roads and parking lots - marked off by traffic cones - are fairly common curiosities. However, the damage to Firehole Lake Drive is unusually severe and could take several days to fix. The 3.3-mile loop six miles north of Old Faithful takes visitors past Great Fountain Geyser, White Dome Geyser and Firehole Lake.

Unusually warm weather for Yellowstone - with high temperatures in the mid-80s - has contributed to turning the road into a hot, sticky mess.

www.abc...##.###/story/25989779/hot-spot-yellowstone-road-melts-sites-closed

Mid 80's doesn't seem too extreme. It's up there so maybe with the thermals in the area this is enough to do it. Being an extra bad case of it is concerning though. For now I'll conclude if they are sending a crew in to fix it they must not be too worried.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Yes, I am becoming my own universe!

lol

Naw, it is a bug. There are a few of us members that got it...
But I like my version better.

I certainly hope that it is just the hot summer sun causing that road to melt.
When they say the heat from the area around the road is causing it, that is kind of odd.
Maybe it is a tar pit under or something.

edit on 10-7-2014 by Darkblade71 because: removed pic that was not on topic.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:24 PM
link   
To me, from the last couple posts, it looks like the pavement was melted, whether from the sun or below I don't know, and then cars driving by picked it up on their tires and tracked it down the road a bit.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Here ya go skip to 1:10 for the alledged evidence

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dianec
How hot has it been there? I'm about 3-4 hours away and it's gotten a couple of degrees from 100. That's super hot for this part of the Country. But it's definitely troubling for a road to be melting. I hope someone can let us know what's up with that.

We had melting roads in the UK. Not due to volcanic or seismic activity, but due to contractors using cheap tar that melted in the hot Summer weather. Black isn't a particularly clever color to use due to heat absorption.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Diesel fuel will also cause it to melt simular to this.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Diesel fuel will also cause it to melt simular to this.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: aightism2
Here ya go skip to 1:10 for the alledged evidence

Very interesting. I wish the video stated whether they were talking about present day concern or a make believe event they are just discussing for training.

posted on Jul, 10 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dianec

If the temps were close to 100 and there are thermal areas around the area I would guess the air temp is hotter there than surrounding areas.

We get lots of days over 100 here in Arizona and usually the roads don't melt...

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join