It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Ain't Your Daddy's Cigarette

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
In an attempt to replace their customer base as it dies off from their own products, the tobacco industry has made cigarettes more addictive and more attractive to young (under age 18) smokers. I keep wondering when the forces of capitalism are going to be mitigated somewhat by charges of attempted murder and endangering the welfare of children with obvious known killer products?

cigarettes now

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: signalfire

Every once in awhile I'll see a teenager smoking, walk over to them, and say something like "You know, unless you get off those things you'll going to crave one of those every 20 or 30 minutes for the next 50 years." I get some good "Huh?" responses, like they've never thought of that before.

Anyone who works for a cigarette company, or who does public relations, sales, etc., for them, has already lost much of their humanity. It's only the rare individual who can have an "Amazing Grace" moment and get it back.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Been off the things for 2 months now after smoking for the past 12 years or so. And it is right, I still have cravings every day, even though the physical dependency is gone. I have spoke to older folks about it, who have quit and havnt had a puff in over 20 years, and they say they still have cravings from time to time.

Quitting smoking has been one of the greatest decisions I've ever made.

Also, I want a cigarette....
edit on 24-6-2014 by youdidntseeme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: youdidntseeme

Grab some chewing tobacco....You can use it all day like I do....I got into it in high school baseball and I wish I never tried it! Now it is damn near impossible to quit. Routine....I keep trying but I need to pound it into my mind that I don't need it! Congrats on quitting though, I know it is tough!

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister

I just straight up tell kids to drop it or im going to call the cops. They don't know the law, so heh.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Chrisfishenstein

I dipped for the first week or so and then after that just stopped altogether...
Great feeling!

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Chrisfishenstein
a reply to: youdidntseeme

Grab some chewing tobacco....You can use it all day like I do....I got into it in high school baseball and I wish I never tried it! Now it is damn near impossible to quit. Routine....I keep trying but I need to pound it into my mind that I don't need it! Congrats on quitting though, I know it is tough!

Man I hope you find a way to lose that habit. Being from SD you probably know it killed Tony Gwynn on the 16th. RIP
Anyway hoping for the best for you.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I smoke a pack a day...my relatives that didn't smoke at all, ended up in care facilities with one of them having Parkinson's, and the others with Alzheimer's and/or dementia, suffering for years and years, slowly wasting away mentally and physically. both my dad and uncle, the only ones that continued smoking, died instantly of massive heart attacks....now, which way would you want to go?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There's a physical dependency addiction and a chemical, cellular addiction.

One is figuratively mental, if you can accept that, and the other is strictly chemical.

That said, in theory, one could replace inhaled smoke with inhaled nicotine water vapor, sparing the lungs, and theorteticly the mental damage on the brain from the 'habit', by replacing with disposable electronic cigarettes, or a refillable e-liquid vape rig.

I've been smoking a half a pack on a good day, lately a full pack on a bad day. I'm 31 and I started at 15. I quit for an entire year with no nicotine whatsoever, and still ended up going back. My next step will be the e-cig, e-liquid route. I can accept the mild blood pressure increases and so forth from nicotine if I can stop the lung damage.

It's the lung damage and therefore the pulmonary and heart damage from the inhaled hot carbon monoxide smoke that is killing people. Understand and know it.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I got one word for smokers: hookah. Get off cigs, e-cigs, and just do a hookah in the evening after dinner while relaxing on the porch or wherever.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueMule

Dude that is going from bad to worse.

A hookah is a water pipe, usually made of glass on the bottom, that has one or more stems. The Mayo Clinic says that while many believe Hookah smoke is less harmful than cigarette smoke, the truth is that an hour spent at the Hookah can mean inhaling as much smoke as you would if you smoked 100 to 200 cigarettes.

Read more : www.ehow.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Yaaawwwnnn.. newsflash kids life is terminal . Enough of the anti-smoking bovine fecal matter .
Smoking lamp is lit .. fire em up if ya got em ..
*lights cigarette wanders off*

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Dude I let the way my lungs and throat feel after a hookha compared to after a cigarette be the judge of that.

For some people, it's not enough to just take away all their poisons and leave it at that. Sometimes, you have to provide a substitute.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi Those numbers do not sound like they could be right at all. I mean come on 200 cigs. is + to an hour of hookah smoke. The lungs surely have an absorbation rate that would have been passed up at about the 5 or 10 min mark.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Yeah but you went and put down E-cigs and promoted your fave the hooka. Now your saying some people need something which I don't disagree with but a hooka is a bad choice out f the bunch.

If you hadn't gone there with the e-cig comment then you could take the high ground.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

Are you saying the numbers just don't sound right to you or do you have some actual science stuff that backs that up?

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

But I've tried e-cigs too. I don't like the way they make my lungs feel, and I don't like the expense, and I don't like the maintenence. I'm going with my experience, and I'm damn well going to speak my mind based on that. Other people may have different experiences, and I'm all for letting them make up their own mind. But to judge a hookah based on a link instead of a fair trial seems even worse.

edit on 962Tuesday000000America/ChicagoJun000000TuesdayAmerica/Chicago by BlueMule because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: signalfire
I keep wondering when the forces of capitalism are going to be mitigated somewhat by charges of attempted murder and endangering the welfare of children with obvious known killer products?

Probably around the same time that air & water polluting corporations get the same treatment.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Did you even read the link? When the CDC says there is a risk of spreading TB and herpes related to Hookas and I am sure your friends have asked for a puff to try before I say no way. I have known people that smoke fruit out of them but I will stick with my e-cigs/MVP where I don't share and it doesn't have all the other health risks. BTW it has never made my lungs hurt. I have no idea how you figure maintenance is worse with e-cig products either unless you never clean your Hooka.

Oh well to each his own.

posted on Jun, 24 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I have a personal hookah, not a group hookah. And I don't give a damn about your link. The way my lungs feel is the deciding factor.

<<   2  3 >>

join