It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your opinions differ from mine, so you are stupid!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
Making a bad decision could be considered stupid but it's really a bad decision .Lots of smart people make bad decisions .I made a good decision one time and was accused with being smart .I had a hunch and got lucky that it turned out good .You forgot Canadian in your list B :>)

Canadians aren't stupid.

Just evil. But that's for another time!

(never trust those polite people!)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Oh...my.

A much needed rant for the Summer with our vacation members. Stupid does appear to be a trendy word these days.

I know I can get very opinionated in heated threads. But I do try to provide sources with more information than just my opinion. Lately, not only am I called stupid, but so are my sources.

Some posters, as soon as I see their name, I find another thread, as I know they'll be roboposting the same thing over and over.

Another thing I've noticed in the past month or so. There are a few people I used to think of as foes...I find we are meeting more in the middle.

Now that I've said all that stuff, I have some advice for your Beez...

GET OVER IT...

Your get over it rant thread, was an epic one for me...

Des

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku

How about, instead, we say, "Your opinions differ from mine, so you are wrong. Let me explain."

thats just a patronizing way of calling someone stupid.

stick to your guns, some people need to be called stupid.

I'll use the martini analogy.

Some like to put olives in a martini. They are wrong to do so.

It doesn't make them stupid, and I don't feel it patronizing to call them on it.

If calling people "wrong" is patronizing, then people have been patronizing to me since I joined.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Just saw this reply in another thread, seemed to fit rather perfect.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

Now that I've said all that stuff, I have some advice for your Beez...

GET OVER IT...

Your get over it rant thread, was an epic one for me...

Des

Thank you Des. As always.

People calling me names, I've gotten used to it.

What has bothered me is the idea that if you don't agree with something, you're stupid.

I know we see this in media, television, news, etc.

It's becoming a socially acceptable way to express opinion of the opposition.
edit on 20-6-2014 by beezzer because: grammeur

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
Just saw this reply in another thread, seemed to fit rather perfect.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

A very apt example.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe

What if it was bacon instead of brussel sprouts? What then?

Then it wouldn't be a question of stupidity. Anytime one says they dislike bacon the question is automatically "Are you even human?"

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 06:54 PM
link   

I agree with you for the most part, differing opinions should never be grounds to label someone as stupid. There is a difference between different opinions and embracting ignorance though.

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge. - Isaac Asimov

Anybody who embraces ignorance and refuses to accept common knowledge is by definition an idiot and deserves to be called out on it.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

You bring up a valid point, one that, on the face, refutes my rant.

But I want to put myself in the position of one who is emotionally invested in a topic.

It may be irrational, it may be emotionally based, but is it stupid?

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:15 PM
link   
You are a good soul beezer but I am however a crusty knarly old fart who is beyond the age of suffering fools and the prize fool of all fools is the person that knows everything and treats others accordingly,there is a saying where there are humans there are Buddhas and flies,you cant help the flies.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   

No, I am not stupid. I am nuts...Hulu...off my rocker....over the edge...disillusioned, etc. Boy, there sure are a lot of words for crazy aren't there.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

No, I am not stupid. I am nuts...Hulu...off my rocker....over the edge...disillusioned, etc. Boy, there sure are a lot of words for crazy aren't there.

If there was an Olympic event for crazy, I'd be a gold medalist.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Playing the devil's advocate here, because I can.

I starred a post below yours, and here is why.

Who the heck does anyone think they are, that they are going to "school me", or show me the 'error of my ways'? Really, that takes some major cajones, pal. That you are so arrogant to think you know it all? That it's your way, or the highway? Gtfo.

That, right there, is why most people don't bother. They are so set in their ways, their idealogies, either by age, stubborness, or the mere need to be right all the time, that the thread will simply degenerate into a fight.

What if, just what if, you are wrong? No one is right all of the time, but there certainly are some here that make snap judgements and have knee jerk reactions, and have too much pride once they have acted, to 'take it back'. This goes for the every day Jack and Jill, and mods, too.

We are all affected by emotions, our environment, and our idealogies. What' s right for you may not be right for me, and seriously, each case really has to be looked at on a case by case basis.

For some, though, their ego's preceed them.

Sorry for playing the devil's advocate, but someone had to do it.

*Hangs head*

edit on 20-6-2014 by Libertygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Libertygal

Never hang your head .. even the devil needs advocates .. often it takes far more courage to play devils advocate ..

World would be mindnumbingly boring if everyone thought / acted / believed the same ..

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I would agree, but the fact is that there ARE a lot of stupid people on this planet.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Libertygal

There is nothing wrong with being sure of yourself.
There is nothing wrong with being wrong.
There is nothing wrong with being confident.
There is nothing wrong with being emotionally invested in a subject.

What IS wrong, in my humble opinion, is classifying people as stupid simply because they disagree.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldetimehockey4

I would agree, but the fact is that there ARE a lot of stupid people on this planet.

Fortunately, most of them seem to congregate in Parliament or DC.

edit on 20-6-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Trying to figure out the 'direct link' thingy.... no clue.

Here's an even Stoopider One

I'll cut and paste from this thread :

Post 1 quote:

I disagree with your (or the article's) compass "categories".

Fascism is Left Wing. Anything Authoritarian and/or Totalitarian is Left Wing.

The American Republican Party nationally, is Semi-Left Wing as a whole group. Only some localities have some Conservative Republica

Reply quote:

From Oxford (but you seem to know better)

fascism
Syllabification: fas·cism
Pronunciation: /ˈfaSHˌizəm /
(also Fascism)
NOUN

1An authoritarian and nationalistic right-wing system of government and social organization.

www.oxforddictionaries.com...

AND NOW THE STOOPOID PART:

Yes even respected Universities can be wrong.

Stoopoid, I like it - didn't plan it (spelling is not my forte) but I think I'll keep it.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I like brussel sprouts. Now if you don't, and provide reasons, I would consider you wrong. Because brussel sprouts are awesome!

I think you are feeling it right but maybe wording it wrong.

Clearly it is right to you who has taste buds that say those brussel sprouts are so good...but if mine don't taste them that way does not make me "wrong".

I love your thought and the thread but the opening statement..

How about, instead, we say, "Your opinions differ from mine, so you are wrong. Let me explain."

I would have said "your opinion is different than mine"... Period... let's discuss why we each feel as we do on this subject.

posted on Jun, 20 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Char-Lee

I like brussel sprouts. Now if you don't, and provide reasons, I would consider you wrong. Because brussel sprouts are awesome!

I think you are feeling it right but maybe wording it wrong.

Clearly it is right to you who has taste buds that say those brussel sprouts are so good...but if mine don't taste them that way does not make me "wrong".

I love your thought and the thread but the opening statement..

I would have said "your opinion is different than mine"... Period... let's discuss why we each feel as we do on this subject.

I will humbly bow to you.

You did state it much better than I did.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join