It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your opinions differ from mine, so you are stupid!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

Olives are the devil's own!

Olives have created wars, caused death, and olives are responsible for everything from the sinking of the Lusitania to the beginning of WWII!

And if you disagree with me, you aren't stupid, just very wrong!

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Pinke

At the end of the day it's just an insult in the same way that calling someone a leftist or a fundamentalist usually is.

Exactly and the TnC rules on ATS say we don't discuss each other but only the topic. An insult id discussing each other and is out of place in any conversation.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
wrong thread
edit on 21-6-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
a reply to: gottaknow

Now, the ones that get to the point where they truly believe they are privy to some celestial knowledge that even those that are aligned similarly are not privy to, are delusional, self-absorbed idiots for sure.

you know sometimes the people you refer to are operating from a position of having an experience that gave them info you don't have. For instance I actually saw a ghost, now what he is I have no idea but the elderly gentleman standing in my bedroom and disappearing in front of me proves to ME there are things beyond the everyday understanding.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: undo
a reply to: Kali74

beezer makes a good point though. notice its mostly about religious people being called idiots. i don't recall ever reading you call religious people idiots. only people who do crazy things like protest some guy's funeral or harass other citizens about their choice of bed partners.

Actually the worse ones I have seen are the contrail/chemtrail threads.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer
"If you disagree with me, if you don't think the same as me, you are stupid".

Ja, Beezzer in all seriousness I get that ...

But you can easy be snarky about other people's opinions and by proxy infer their stupidity ... such as accusing left wing progressives of being Darth Vader ... calling Harvard Satanists stupid ... Implying you're talking about Leftism and Leftists aren't people ... because you know, they're an 'idea'.

I can do that too: Christians are stupid when it comes to science. It's not an insult, it's just a description of how Christians actually are! Don't be hating! Hey! Just because I'm wrong about Christians relationship to science doesn't mean you can call me stupid!

I'm not big on name calling. Not sure why, its just never appealed to me ... but I also recognize that often being snarky is a distinction without a difference; especially when you're deliberately baiting people and trying to wind them up. The only difference is, it's harder to tell when someone is being disrespectful when they're not blatantly calling you a pile of names.

Of course, YOU are wrong for not having the same opinion as me, but being wrong doesn't make you stupid.

I know this is a simple rant, but why can't people just "agree to disagree"?

You often talk about the 'everyone gets a trophy' mentality, but isn't that just what you're trying to hand in here? "Agree to disagree?" "Being wrong doesn't make you stupid."

Old Beezzer would probably have told me to toughen up princess before offering me a certificate of participation in between attempting to beat me to death with my own shoes (never succeeded obviously cos of how much I rawk)

I miss that Beezzer. This one's for him.

Side note: Hiya Char-Lee! Nice to see you. And yes, I mostly agree, you shouldn't insult people like that directly, but there are distinctions without difference attached to that as above. I think the reason that comes up so often in religious conversations on both sides is the 'religious people have low IQs meme' and the 'Atheists don't think meme' - I disagree with both.

Also poking Beezzer with a stick in a rant thread is amusing. Don't tell him that.
edit on 21-6-2014 by Pinke because: Wreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeecking baaaaaaaaaaaall

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: undo

And doesn't that fall under the same category as calling someone stupid because you disagree with them? It's simply substituting 'stupid' or any other insult with the word Progressive, Democrat, Liberal, Leftist.

So stupid = progressive?

I never knew that!

Exactly... there's the hypocrisy I've come to expect from you. Atheists calling Christians stupid is bad, but you using the word Progressive as a substitute for evil, stupid or authoritarian is just fine...

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rikku

How about, instead, we say, "Your opinions differ from mine, so you are wrong. Let me explain."

thats just a patronizing way of calling someone stupid.

stick to your guns, some people need to be called stupid.

I agree when I see something which is detrimental to our specie and others support it even when shown facts which show they are completely wrong and they are still completely ignorant of those facts...well they are stupid.
I just give up on them and hope they don't teach more other humans the complete utter lie they have been spoonfed.
Nope Beezer sometimes you just have to call it how you see it.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok
a reply to: beezzer

Its not ones opinion thats makes one stupid but there ability to concisly back it up and defend it.

I don't think anyone can judge whether or not someone is stupid based on their ability to defend a position.

Sticking your hand in a running lawn-mower is stupid.

Being a bad debater is not.

I sort of agree with you.

I do disagree with you on ATS. But I don't think your stupid. You strike me as experienced well informed guy (or gal).

And I should really have expanded on my comment really.

Ok some people can have a poor defense of potion and not be stupid. Il grant you. There are a number of factors.

But to me stupidity is keeping to a opinion when clear logic punches holes through it like swiss cheese.

But as I granted above there can be over factors, emotional ties to a position, being paid to acknowledge a position or fear acknowledging a position may render a big chuck of your live null and void.
edit on 21-6-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

a reply to: undo

And doesn't that fall under the same category as calling someone stupid because you disagree with them? It's simply substituting 'stupid' or any other insult with the word Progressive, Democrat, Liberal, Leftist.

So stupid = progressive?

I never knew that!

Exactly... there's the hypocrisy I've come to expect from you. Atheists calling Christians stupid is bad, but you using the word Progressive as a substitute for evil, stupid or authoritarian is just fine...
Progressives aren't stupid.

They are in control. They are evil, manipulative.

But not stupid.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   

So all other insults are okay, just not stupid?

Wait, or is it only Christians should be above being insulted? Everyone else is fair game?

Your rules are confusing and as I've mentioned... hypocritical.
edit on 6/21/2014 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

So all other insults are okay, just not stupid?

Wait, or is it only Christians should be above being insulted? Everyone else is fair game?

Your rules are confusing and as I've mentioned... hypocritical.

If you don't agree with me, it doesn't mean you are mentally deficient.

Just wrong.

Get it?

I can still disagree with you, I can call your ideology that you embrace, evil and wrong.

But the idea that just because you don't think the same as me means you're stupid is wrong.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I can still disagree with you, I can call your ideology that you embrace, evil and wrong. But the idea that just because you don't think the same as me means you're stupid is wrong.

It's the same damn thing. If I don't think the same as you, I'm evil.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I'm getting the usual flack from the typical crowd because, I think, that this hits home to them.

Their ideology cannot accept any other ideology or thought process. Therefore, it is stupid.

I, on the other hand, welcome all ideas, all different concepts because I may not be right.

It is the rigid ideologues that cannot accept any other ideology and would consider any other ideology as "stupid".

I'm really beginning to see how intolerant some are. How closed-minded they are.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

I can still disagree with you, I can call your ideology that you embrace, evil and wrong. But the idea that just because you don't think the same as me means you're stupid is wrong.

It's the same damn thing. If I don't think the same as you, I'm evil.

You aren't evil, just your progressive ideology is.

If that is what you want to embrace, then fine.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Sorry calling something evil and wrong is worse than stupid in my book

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Sorry calling something evil and wrong is worse than stupid in my book

So I cannot express my opinion?

Meh.

Perhaps people should use the term stupid then.

If you don't agree with me, you're stupid. (not you, personally)

Maybe I was wrong.

See!

I can admit that I was wrong! OMG!

The last thing I would ever want to do is curb the right to freely express opinions.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   
post deux
edit on 21-6-2014 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

It's just language really isn't it.
I have called some of my pals stupid in situations and with what they think full well knowing that they are not and a lot brighter than me it's all in context of the situation or the fact they refuse to accept evidence or facts.
I have noticed that many (all of us really at points) will be stubborn and dig our heals in.
I once asked the question has anything on ATS changed your mind? I don't think many will admit it but ATS showed me conspiracies are not as rife as I used to think.

I am all for freedom of expression but on ATS we don't have that right and believe me I have wanted to call people worse here on ATS than evil or stupid...but then I get the hammer lol.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

I guess it's the arrogance that gets to me.

If anything, being on ATS has taught me how wrong I am/was on so many occasions.

I still need to work on my humility, and I'd be the first to say that I epitomize the definition of stupidity.

I guess, because I am so stupid on so many occasions, that the current meme of accusing people who don't apply to a certain mindset as stupid got to me.

Hence, the thread.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join