It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okay Google, We Get It, Now Stop Shilling the World Cup

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Oh and I wish Alan Partridge would do the commentating all the time because some of it is just crap.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman

originally posted by: Margana
a reply to: Metallicus

I am so sick & tired of the FIFA stuff too! I even typed it into the google search engine so they got the message.
I also hate how the only thing they do for Remembrance Day is stick poppy up but for stupid trivial things they go all out with the animations.

You have a good point about Remembrance day as it's very important we continue to honour the fallen.

I would suspect it's something Google has to be very sensitive about and avoid offending anyone. Whereas more trivial stuff gives them a lot more licence to have a bit of fun.

While I understand the risk of not wanting to offend anyone, I think the least they could do is have more than just one poppy. Or heck even the "In Flanders Field" poem with some larks flying above would be great. Or "Lest we never forget". I think there could be some tasteful ways for it to be done & with how important it is to honor the fallen and never forget, it should be done.

My Grandpa fought in the WW2 & barely survived. He was shot in the helmet, just missing his head, was in a building that got blown up & was the only survivor because he jumped into a barrel (12 people died) He even accidentally drove an ammunition truck over enemy lines one night and had to carefully turn around & get back to his side.

Needless to say, when I see all the stupid stuff google does for animations, especially with how long this Fifa stuff will be drawn out for (not denying how big of an event it is) just saying, some more should be done for really important things.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
OP is Google "shilling" anymore than say Budweiser or any of the other companies that support our football teams during the playoffs and Superbowl? If you don't like a sport it's simple, don't watch it and don't support it. I'm here in the US and don't agree with your sentiment about soccer so please don't assume we all feel as you do.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Partridge sounds truly inspiring after having to listen to Chuckle brother 2 (aka Phil Neville) last night.

Chuckle brother 1's 'scorgasm' has been laid down for posterity.

And if anyone outside the British Isles has any clue what this post is all about I will be truly astounded

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Margana

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I just want to see an NFL star playing against a football star... the football player would run roundx arround him.
They need way more stamina, since football games are not paused after every little action that takes place.
I find American Football so boring to watch, because you pause the game for minutes after any action. There is more pausetime than play time.
I don't even want to start about the commercials you have every few minutes.

Sure, football players might be sissies... I agree, they really fall to the ground as soon as they are touched slightly, but there is still more action in a football match than in an American football match.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: aLLeKs
I just want to see an NFL star playing against a football star... the football player would run roundx arround him.
They need way more stamina, since football games are not paused after every little action that takes place.
I find American Football so boring to watch, because you pause the game for minutes after any action. There is more pausetime than play time.
I don't even want to start about the commercials you have every few minutes.

Sure, football players might be sissies... I agree, they really fall to the ground as soon as they are touched slightly, but there is still more action in a football match than in an American football match.

amen....amen and one more amen

Handegg is boring. Run a play aaaaaaaaand stop. I will watch my share of NFL at times but real football is a divine chess match that leads to moments of glory

I thought I once read somewhere that an average midfielder will run between 6-10 miles per game and a good portion of the time they are sprinting

Regardless, OP I will agree on thing though. The doodle on Fathers day actually had a father AND World Cup in it...thought that was a bit over the line

otherwise like many others have said. You hate it...don't watch it

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Some of the worlds best sports are football (soccer to you yanks ) .. rugby .. horseracing and must admit my favorite is aussie rules football though hard keeping up with it out here in the boonies ..

Following worldcup from out here in the boonies ..

Not our fault that in america you lot dont keep up with real sports ..

even got the boot from france once in my younger days along with a bunch of gunners fans that had gone with to watch a match ..

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
Some of the worlds best sports are football (soccer to you yanks ) .. rugby .. horseracing and must admit my favorite is aussie rules football though hard keeping up with it out here in the boonies ..

Following worldcup from out here in the boonies ..

Not our fault that in america you lot dont keep up with real sports ..

even got the boot from france once in my younger days along with a bunch of gunners fans that had gone with to watch a match ..

and that's the thing...I am too lazy to look it up but some poster said America doesn't care about soccer...which I thought was weird because I didn't know they could speak for all of us

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I also find Football aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamaziiiiingly booooooooooooooooooooring.

No goals
A game constantly played in the center field with barely no consequences
The goals are big but they shoot from 100 feet away
Most of the animalesque fanatics make me want to puke

I loved to watch interior football much more action

About the only positive thing I can say is that, it so dirt cheep to start playing, that maybe it's really the best in the world that are competing if we compare to let's say : F1 Racing

F1 racers are all born with a silver spoon so I refuse to believe that they really are the best in the world.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
The Americans don't like football, because their too dumbed down to understand what offside means

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thefarmer
The Americans don't like football, because their too dumbed down to understand what offside means

Really? Offside is the most commonly called action in hockey. Guess what? Hockey is a major sport in America.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   

first of all it isn't their...this American gets that

and second, we know all about offside....football and hockey both have offside...and yes Americans do watch soccer. Offside is not hard to understand.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero
Nah.. we get our share of idiots who think they speak for all of us here too .. its a universal thing ..

Heard football been getting bit more popular there in recent years ..

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

Jeeze slow down its a joke man...

And by football do you mean the one played with you're hands?

Or the proper way?

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Thefarmer

You sure you want to go there?

Anyone's sport can be dissed.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
They guy is covered head to toe in thick padding and that is a lucky shot mate

And who Wouldn't guard their (hope I used it right) nuts from a ball travelling in excess of 80mph oh I bet you Americans would with you're balls made of valyriansteel

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

They guy is covered head to toe in thick padding and that is a lucky shot mate

And who Wouldn't guard their (hope I used it right) nuts from a ball travelling in excess of 80mph oh I bet you Americans would with you're balls made of valyriansteel

A hockey puck travels in excess of 100 mph. Then there are less dangerous things. Like razor sharp skates. Wanna see a clip of a goalie with his jugular severed? It's scary. What about those sticks. Looks dangerous to me. AND that padding you're talking about? Hard as hell. An elbow WILL break bones.

Oh, and I'm Canadian mate.

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

We'll I'm form UK the home of where most of you're sports originated

American football = rugby with padding

Hockey = English field hockey with padding and skates and a bit of ice

Baseball = rounders but you forgot to add the padding

posted on Jun, 16 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I understand the point you are making but I don't understand why it gets under your skin. The only time I watch soccer is during the olympics so I am not some crazy soccer nut. I wasn't aware the world cup had returned until I read your post. I don't get deluged by "football" fanatics when the cup rolls around.

Although I do have to disagree with your comparisons of soccer to other sports in the US. US football is the stupidest game I have ever seen...king of the mountain with a ball. Who would want to watch basketball when you can pick up a ball and shoot some hoops just about anywhere. Hockey is only worth watching if a fight breaks out so I never watch that either. I've always found soccer enjoyable to watch and that is for one reason: The timer always goes down. Take basketball for example. The last few minutes of a 4th quarter can drag out for 30-45 minutes due to teams using all their timeouts to stop the clock. I'd rather watch paint dry.

Soccer isn't tedious to watch. That combined with the skill and numbers of players needed even for an informal game place this sports viewing potential, along with MLB baseball, far ahead of B-ball, F-ball and ice hockey.

I'll even toss in a crazy(read: silly)conspiracy for you. Most americans won't watch soccer for the simple fact that it is the most popular spectator sport in most of the rest of the world. Most americans have to be different or see themselves as unique. This same principle applies to the metric system. Americans won't adopt this superior system nationally because americans wouldn't be "special" anymore. I guess the USA has a inside joke type of bond with the one other country in the world that doesn't use the metric system.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join