It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Okay Google, We Get It, Now Stop Shilling the World Cup

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Indigent
a reply to: Metallicus

Football is awesome, some day you will realize just because you dont like it you dont need to hate it.

Every poor kid can kick a stone in the dirt and play football, trowing stones at each other is more difficult, that's why football is loved elsewhere anyone can play it anywhere with anything.

A lot of it is the minority of people that play the sport in the US have an agenda. Whenever you have people pushing an agenda you will experience a push back. No one wants to be told what they have to think or like.

Please enlighten us on the agenda that is getting pushed???
Seems that goes back to your liberal conspiracy.

I cant find the video but you sound like the guy form fox new's the five that talked soccer and how horrible it was a week or so back

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Please enlighten us on the agenda that is getting pushed?

Please see my title. Google has had the World Cup up as their US logo for an entire week and even today it is World Cup despite it being Father's Day. ESPN constantly sending me World Cup updates despite soccer not being a sport I have requested updates for from their site.

It IS being pushed above and beyond the level of interest there actually is in the US. It probably is more obvious to someone who displays my level of apathy towards the sport.
edit on 2014/6/15 by Metallicus because: sp

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Well even the good 'ol USA has been to most of the recent World Cups and done pretty well at them considering most Americans prefer a game of football played mainly with the hands and where a touchdown is scored by running over a line and not really touching anything down. Oh the irony!

Association Football is loved by the rest of the world because all you need is a ball to play. No need for an outfit to make you look like a Michelin Man and nor does physical size matter as it does in so many other sports.

Remember that something like 96% of the world's population is NOT American and many of of that 96% use 'google.com'.

So you are quite entitled to your point of view and the rest of the world also enjoy the sports you listed. But Americans form a smaller proportion of the world population than gay people do as part of America's.

Google has a massive audience to reach outside the borders of the USA and many of them will be fascinated by the world's biggest sports tournament. That's really all there is to it.

edit on 15/6/14 by mirageman because: clarified sentence

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Best team game on the planet it really is that simple.
Can American football have a world wide competition which brings together millions of people together from all over the world all enjoying their sport while having a great time supporting their own nations?....
Nope.

Just because you do not enjoy it Iam sure many in the US will.
Plenty of people born around the world residing in the USA who will be like me be glued to their telly sets.
It's only a couple of weeks so suck it up...we don't moan when it is superbowl week.

Oh and come you Argies I got twenty on you tonight

(PS you can watch the live game here).

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 15-6-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Oh find that for me I want a lugh (pm me
)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I am so sick & tired of the FIFA stuff too! I even typed it into the google search engine so they got the message.
I also hate how the only thing they do for Remembrance Day is stick poppy up but for stupid trivial things they go all out with the animations.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I played soccer, football and basketball as i was growing up and ill tell you that soccer is, was, and always will be my favorite. It's different to say the least, you don't need the excess equipment or brute strength to play it. You work on eye/foot coordination and agility which helped me a lot in other sports because my footwork was already there. I didn't push it on people, most of the time someone else tried to push other sports on me, while they made fun of me for playing it. I loved my sport and i can recognize the love people have for their sport and i respect it instead of fear it.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Wow, a small minded perspective. There are what now? 189 countries? ALL of them play football(soccer). It's the #1 sport in the world. Even this NFL fan can get that.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Got a funny story about Baseball here in the UK.

At my school we got told that some # hot baseball team from the USA were coming around our schools and having a game (I was about 14 btw) and my PE teacher asked us to sign up to play them...so many of us did.
Now half an hour before their coach arrived our teacher told us it is rounders with a bigger bat and seeing I had been ok at rounders at primary school I thought yeah will be easy this.
Anyhow the USA team turned up and got changed and they came out wearing all the gear where we were in our PE trunks and vests, they were talking the talk and walking the walk....until we got them out 1st innings with a score of 0...we started to give em a bit of good old fashioned British jip
and then we batted.
I was about 3rd to bat and we had 2 lads on base and I told the pitcher "Watch this Iam gonna twat it" first ball I did and It went miles and the ref said "home run"
I took my time.
Anyhow we beat them so easy despite us playing only rounders before and we continued to give them jip like
"Hahaha this is the first time we have played this and we have beaten you"...in fact one of them cried.

Yeah I know childish at the time but funny at the time and still brings a smile to my face.

Oh and football slow? good god I attempted to watch a baseball game once....

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Look, I get it...you love soccer and for some reason you want to push your sport on the rest of us because you feel ignored in the US. One whiny article from a pro-soccer fan started as follows...

You are right, if Google are promoting this every four year, they really must be pushing an agenda! I bet they are out to destroy every last bit of American culture!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   

That is called marketing, has nothing to do with an agenda it has to do with $$$

link   

originally posted by: Margana

I am so sick & tired of the FIFA stuff too! I even typed it into the google search engine so they got the message.
I also hate how the only thing they do for Remembrance Day is stick poppy up but for stupid trivial things they go all out with the animations.

You have a good point about Remembrance day as it's very important we continue to honour the fallen.

I would suspect it's something Google has to be very sensitive about and avoid offending anyone. Whereas more trivial stuff gives them a lot more licence to have a bit of fun.

link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Sorry BM, not buying that. You may have been told they were a top notch ball team but if you beat them, they weren't. Baseball is their game. If you had said you beaten an excellent hockey team from Canada I wouldn't buy that either. That's OUR game.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

Ya you would have needed a top notch pitcher to beat a top notch team.
That is all baseball is, how good are the two pitcher's.
Not anybody can just walk on the mound and shut people out.
Tbh tho I am not familiar with how rounders works so forgive me if my ignorance is showing there

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Dunno who they were but it was just one of those days we spooked em or something.
Oh and remember we were young and they only threw it underarm.
Plus we were really good at rounders
Now Hockey I did play that for a few years hard hard sport hurt myself a few times playing that..our hockey btw not ice.

Btw anyone played Lacrosse? now that is a hard sport.
edit on 15-6-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

I always enjoyed field hockey over lacrosse.

You are right it is a hard sport but i dont think thats why its not fun, i like other things that are tough to master theres just somthing about lacrosse thats somehow not fun.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Believe it or not but lacrosse is Canada's official sport. Ya and you thought it was hockey.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Didn't know that

I was really good at sports at school but the amount of times I woke up in an Ambulance...
I think nowadays they would have banned me from sports from fear of lawsuits lol.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

From what I can gather baseball was quite popular here in the UK between the great wars. Great Britain even won the first ever World Cup of Baseball (as opposed to the also ironically named Baseball 'World Series' in which the World does not take part!).

Rounders is a simpler version played with a soft ball (usually tennis ball) which many of us played at school in the summer. However it's not really considered a sport at adult level.

Cricket is officially our main summer sport. Something we share with a number of the other nations within the Commonwealth especially the boys 'down under'.

But back on topic. At the World Cup, Ze Germans are our fiercest of rivals, and we've had a few brutal skirmishes with the Argentinians down the years.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: mirageman

I play badminton and it gets a bad rap for being dainty or easy. Nothing could be further from the truth and at the professional level they hit the shuttles at hundreds of miles an hour - its quite the spectacle and a marvel of pushing human boundary's.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join