It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My CDs gather dust. Should I put them in the garbage?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
When I buy a new CD, which is rare now since record stores are a dinosaur species, I put the songs or parts I like on my computer and my other digital devices.

And then the cds gather dust. But I hesitate to get rid of them. I am not currently interested in buying digital download songs over the internet.

Maybe I will throw out the cds I love less, and keep the cds that I love a lot.

What do you think? I'm getting old, so this digital stuff is sometimes hard for me to figure out.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 12:22 AM
link   
a reply to: droid56

Rip them, sell them, buy a record player and some vinyl with the dough.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   

I took all my CD's out of their cases and put them in a CD book. Haven't touched those books in years, other than to put another in.

And I'm keeping 'em. Ya never know when you might need to rebuild the library. Alexandria ring a bell?

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 01:22 AM
link   

I'd recommend you put them all on a simple spindle. They're heavy like that, but they take up little room. I've got a spindle for old movies as well.

The cases ... i wouldn't worry about them so much, but if you can't help yourself, you could just save the paper portion of it if you really thought they may be of some future use. Doubtful one could fill up a decent sized cardboard box over a lifetime of collecting.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoldenObserver

Rip them, .

yes to this! rip them that way you'll have a back up and can play them on apple tv.
i ripped around 20 cd's yesterday just because they weren't in my itunes database.
-b

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

NO!

Do not throw those away. Let me explain something.

When your laptop or hard drive decides to give up the ghost on you, you will be damned sorry you threw those out, assuming you really like the tunes on the CDs in the first place! Personally speaking, I have all my CDs in a large wallet, and I have all the cases in a packing crate under my bed. One of my projects will be to develop a catalogue system, to have them stored by genre, and for each of those sections to be in alphabetical order...

Is a nerd.

Anyway, if it was me, I would keep those CDs. You never know, if something really terrible happens and there is no more internet, and your computer dies along with the net, those CDs will come in very handy, and probably be worth a bit more than they might otherwise be into the bargain!

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

I donated all my old CDs and DVDs to the local library. Figure people who either don't have computers or don't have digital access can listen for free, and in a dumb way it gives something back to the community.

Plus, if your HDD with said rips on it does crash or you somehow lose the data, it's a simple matter of borrowing the items back from the library and re-ripping them over again, without the cost of having to buy them again.

posted on Jun, 15 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I was just thinking the same lately with 2 boxes of CDs that i have in a cupboard
Keep the disc's and sleeve's and throw away the plastic cases seems the best i have read here

posted on Feb, 17 2022 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I know this is a few years old now but does anyone buy CDs anymore?

I have the same problem, a load of CDs I never play, gathering dust, but reluctant to part with them.

Don't know why.

Got tons of music on my playlist which I downloaded for free.

Haven't bought, or needed to buy, any CDs for many years.

Even if I did, I'd rip them, thus leaving the CDs surplus to requirements. So why don't I chuck them out?

And who still buys them?

new topics

top topics

join